Synonyms for aafbu or Related words with aafbu
Examples of "aafbu"
On March 2, 1945 the final class completed training and Stockton AAF was transferred from the control of the Western Flying Training Command to the Air Transport Command. With this transfer, the 3033rd
was redesignated as the 591st
Squadrons re-designated as squadrons "E", "F", "G", 2535th
, 1 May 1944
Squadrons re-designated as squadrons "A", "B", "C", "D", 2535th
, 1 May 1944
On 10 May 1945, training was ended at the base, and the 343d
was discontinued. Personnel and equipment were reassigned to IV Fighter Command, 473d
and transferred to Porterville Army Airfield, California. The base was officially closed on 23 May and transferred to Air Technical Service Command for disposal.
With the establishment of the United States Air Force in September 1947, Williams Army Airfield was re-designated Williams Air Force Base on 13 January 1948. In addition, the 89th
was discontinued and the 3525th Pilot Training Wing (Advanced
By the spring of 1944 the Army Air Forces had found that standard military units, based on relatively inflexible tables of organization, were proving less well adapted to the training mission. Accordingly, it adopted a more functional system in which each base was organized into a separate numbered unit, while the groups and squadrons acting as RTUs were disbanded or inactivated. Known as an Army Air Forces Base Units (
) the units provided flexibility to subordinate headquarters and freed up manpower for overseas service. The goal was to establish one
on each training base in the Continental United States. Separate additional base units were authorized to provide personnel overhead for wings, regions, and higher echelons. All organizations on the base were designated as sections (later squadrons) of the
, identified by letters from "A" to "Z". Personnel were reassigned to the new sections, and the previous squadrons and groups were inactivated or disbanded.
concluded its training of replacement pilots in May 1945 and operations at the airfield were phased down to a standby status. With the end of the war, the base was declared excess to requirements and returned to civil control.
To the basic numerical designation and the "
" designation, the new units could have a parenthetical suffix that indicated the unit’s function. Because the base units could be designated, organized, and discontinued by the commands, air forces, and centers, they were in effect major command-controlled (or MAJCON) units, the first of their kind.
On 23 July 1945, the post, now known as Camp Sequoia, was taken over by the Western Signal Aviation Training Center at Camp Pinedale as a sub-post. It was a replacement for nearby Camp Visalia. The garrison, which moved from Camp Visalia, consisted of Squadron F, 462nd Army Air Forces Base Unit (
) commanded by Maj. Hugh J. Roberts.
The field was constructed in 1943 as Tanacross Air Base, activated September 20 by Air Transport Command as Station #16, Alaskan Wing, later 1464th
. Alaskan Division, ATC. Jurisdiction transferred to private ownership in 1947. One of the hangars at the site later became the Big Dipper Ice Arena in Fairbanks.
The original mission was to train crews of Boeing B-17 Flying Fortresses and Consolidated B-24 Liberators bombers. Crews based at Casper AAF Wyoming final training at Scottsbluff. All training aircraft at the airfield were assigned to the 4190th
With the mission of Second Air Force becoming B-29 Superfortress Training, jurisdiction of Ardmore AAF was transferred to III Bomber Command, Third Air Force on 16 June 1945. III Bomber Command re-designated the 418th
with the 332nd Combat Crew Training School.
With the drawdown and closure of wartime airfields after the German capitulation in May 1945, units from other bases in Florida were consolidated at Pinecastle AAF. On 1 July 1945, jurisdiction of the field was transferred to Air Proving Ground Command at Eglin Field, Florida. The 901st
was inactivated and replaced by the 621st Base Unit.
III Fighter Command fighter training ended on 31 May 1945, and the 335th
was converted into a Ground Training Unit. With the Japanese Surrender in August 1945, demobilization became the major activity at the base, with many personnel being separated and returning to civilian life.
The western sector became Tachikawa Air Base, while FEAMCOM took the eastern part. They became a single base again in 1956. With the inactivation of Air Transport Command in 1948, Military Air Transport Service redesignated the 1503d
the 540th Air Transport Wing, later 1503d Air Transport Wing. The wing became the host organization at Tachikawa Air Base upon activation.
The Roslyn Filter Center operated until the end of the war and was then declared surplus to the needs of the Air Defense Command. Operating personnel were withdrawn on or about 14 January 1946, and the 164th
was inactivated. Caretaker personnel were assigned to protect the property against pilfering and vandalism.
On 24 June 1945, a hurricane hit the Tampa area, and the B-17 aircraft were evacuated to Vichy Army Air Field, Missouri. Drew's B-17 mission however ended with the Japanese surrender in August, and the 327th
was inactivated on 31 August 1945.
Automatic tracking radars were used for World War II ground-directed bombing, and at the end of the war SCR-584 tracking radars with OA-294 plotting equipment which recorded the aircraft path during a bomb run, allowing the bomb release point and velocity to be assessed for Radar Bomb Scoring. In 1945, an RBS site was in New Orleans on Marconi Dr, and the 206th Army Air Force Base Unit (RBS) was organized on 6 June 1945 at "Colorado Springs" (tent camp) and controlled RBS detachments at Kansas City and Dallas Love Field, Texas. "On 24 July 1945, the 206th was redesignated the 63rd
(RBS) and three weeks later was moved to Mitchel Field, New York, and placed under the command of the Continental Air Force." "On 5 March 1946, the organization moved back to Colorado Springs and on 8 March of the same year was redesignated the 263rd
The Special Air Mission originated with the World War II United States Army Air Forces' 10th Ferrying Squadron (AAFFC) in 1941. It was redesigned as the 21st Transport Transition Training Detachment of Air Transport Command (ATC) in 1942, and later redesignated as the 26th Transport Group. From September to December 1943, the 26th TG conducted the C-87 "Fireball" run, a weekly priority spare parts delivery flight between Fairfield, Ohio and Agra, India. It was lastly redesignated as the 503d Army Air Force Base Unit (
) in 1944. The last unit was part of the ATC North Atlantic Division. In 1946, it is known that the 503d
was involved in the transport of personnel to Bikini Atoll as part of the Atomic Bomb Testing mission.
After the Colorado Springs Tent Camp gained the 1946 Fifteenth Air Force headquarters for bomber operations, including Radar Bomb Scoring (RBS), "Colorado Springs" had the 206th Army Air Force Base Unit (RBS) organized on 6 June 1945 and which initially controlled RBS detachments at Kansas City and Fort Worth Army Airfield. From August to 8 March 1946, as the 63rd
, the headquarters was at Mitchel Field on Long Island, New York, and after returning to Colorado Springs, was renamed the 263rd
. The 263rd, after transferring from 15th AF to directly under Strategic Air Command, was redesignated the 3903rd Radar Bomb Scoring Squadron (SAC) effective on 1 August 1948 and by 25 August 1949, the 3903rd RBSS controlled the nearby "Denver Bomb Plot" RBS detachment.
Copyright © 2017