Synonyms for akerly or Related words with akerly
Examples of "akerly"
(one of the founders of the New York Institute for the Blind) enlarged the farmhouse to thirteen rooms. Dr.
wrote many essays on the use of farmland on Staten Island and revolutionized the uses of farming equipment and the rotations of crops. The New York City Department of Parks and Recreation is in the process of restoring the farmhouse back to the way Olmsted had it when he resided there.
had been for ten years the superintendent and attending physician of the New York Institution for the Deaf. He had been active in developing instruction for deaf-mutes and became interested in doing the same for the blind.
knew how to propose legislation, and he, Wood and 15 other citizens presented a petition to the New York State Legislature proposing an institution to ""...improve the moral and intellectual condition of the Blind, and to instruct them in such mechanical employments as are best adapted to persons in such a condition."" The legislation passed, but was amended by one state senator to limit the institution's purpose to children.
, former Lansing television personality begins the day at WILS with the "Morning Wake-Up" from 6am to 9am. Michel Cohen anchors the "Capital City Re-Cap" weeknights from 6pm to 7pm. Both programs also tackle a wide variety of issues involving local, state and national government and also feature guest experts that share opinion from all sides of the political spectrum.
The New York Institute for the Blind was founded in 1831 as a school for blind children by Samuel Wood, a Quaker philanthropist, Samuel
, a physician, and John Dennison Russ, a philanthropist and physician. It was located at 34th Street and Ninth Avenue in Manhattan, New York City.
WILS is home to the locally produced Morning Wakeup with Dave
and the Capital City Recap with Michael Cohen. WILS focuses heavily on local issues and personalities, especially topics of political and business interests. It is the Lansing Market's home for syndicated talkers Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, Laura Ingraham, Lars Larson, and Coast to Coast AM.
Həkəri (also, Akeri,
, and Hakara) is a village situated in Qubadli Rayon of Azerbaijan. It takes its name from a river with the same name with sources in the north of Qubadli Rayon. Before Armenian forces got control of the village it was part of the larger Muradkhanli village council (municipality) with three other villages of Qubadli Rayon. Moreover, most of what Qubadli is today was called Hakara according to the 18th century Ottoman Tax Registry.
John Dennison Russ, a philanthropist and physician, had proposed on his own to instruct blind children in the poorhouse before
made him aware of the newly approved institution. Russ served without salary as the first teacher of the first class — three blind orphan boys brought from the poorhouse to a private home on Canal Street. After two months, three more boys were added and the school moved to Mercer Street. Teaching was by experiment, with successful methods discovered as time progressed. A demonstration of the students' progress was given at the end of the year, generating public interest and stimulating contributions and new benefactors.
When the young Olmsted was almost ready to enter Yale College, sumac poisoning weakened his eyes so he gave up college plans. After working as an apprentice seaman, merchant, and journalist, Olmsted settled on a 125-acre farm in January 1848 on the south shore of Staten Island NY, which his father helped him acquire. This farm, originally named the
Homestead, was renamed Tosomock Farm by Olmsted. It was later renamed "The Woods of Arden" by owner Erastus Wiman. (The house in which Olmsted lived still stands at 4515 Hylan Boulevard, near Woods of Arden Road.)
English Puritans from New Haven, Connecticut, settled in Southold on October 21, 1640. Under the leadership of the Reverend John Youngs, with Peter Hallock (after lots were drawn, the first to step ashore), the settlement consisted of the families of Barnabas Horton, John Budd, John Conklin, William Wells, John Tuthill, Thomas Mapes, Richard Terry, Matthias Corwin, Robert
, Zachariah Corey and Isaac Arnold. The land had been purchased in the summer of 1640 from an Indian tribe, the Corchaugs. The Indian name of what became Southold was "Yenicott".
Puritans from New Haven, Connecticut, arrived in present-day Southold on October 21, 1640. Under the leadership of the Reverend John Youngs, with Peter Hallock, the families of Barnabas Horton, John Budd, John Conklin, William Wells, John Tuthill, Thomas Mapes, Richard Terry, Matthias Corwin, Robert
, Zachariah Corey and Isaac Arnold planted the first English and first white settlement in eastern Long Island. They purchased the land in the summer of 1640 from an Indian tribe named the Corchaugs. The Corchaug name of what became Southold was "Yenniock". English settlers from Lynn, Massachusetts acquired land in what was to become Southampton in December 1640, and held their first assembly meeting of settlers there in April 1641. Southampton was settled shortly thereafter. Dutch complaints did not matter. Officials of the Colony of New Netherland did not make immediate efforts to expel the English from such a remote place.
-Omsted Farmhouse was a large farm and modest Dutch farmhouse on one of the higher hills overlooking Raritan Bay, and Sandy Hook in the distance on Staten Island purchased by Olmsted's father and given to Frederick Law Olmsted in 1848 to grow crops, plant trees and clear for pasture for livestock. The first owner of the property was Dominic Petrus Teaschenmaker who acquired a patent on the property from Governor Thomas Dongan on November 3, 1685. The property was acquired in the late 17th century (c. 1696) and he stone basement of the structure was enlarged into a Flemish Style farm house by Jacques Poillon, the Richmond County Road Commissioner under Governor Slaughter, and one of the original Huguenot settlers of Staten Island. By 1723, three generations of the Poillon family had lived in this farmhouse and during the Revolutionary War, John Poillon, a member of the Committee of Safety for Richmond County, helped bring about the famous, though ill-fated, Peace Conference at Bentley Manor in the Billopp House, now known as the Conference House.
Copyright © 2017