Synonyms for ballintober or Related words with ballintober
Examples of "ballintober"
() is a village in County Roscommon, Ireland.
It contains five civil parishes:
, Baslick, Kilkeevin, Kilcorkey, and Kiltullagh; including the towns of Ballinlough, Bellanagare, Castlerea, and Cloonfad.
Born in Castlerea, County Roscommon, Carlos was introduced to Gaelic football during his schooling at Roscommon CBS. At club level he enjoyed a distinguished career with
Connor experienced mental illness. After leaving Stowe in 1827, he was briefly confined in a Dublin asylum. He died in Belenagare and is buried in
The R367 road is a regional road in Ireland linking Ballymoe on the N60 with the N5 in Tulsk, all in County Roscommon. It passes through
, Knockalaghta and Castleplunket en route.
(), is a village in County Mayo, Ireland, famous for Ballintubber Abbey which was founded in 1216. Set against the backdrop of the Partry Mountains, the countryside of Ballintubber is rich in history and historical sites.
These are Ballylane West, Ballylane East, Ballymacar, Begerin (Lloyd), Begerin (Loftus), Bushpark, Camlin, Creacon Lower, Creacon Upper, Dunanore, Finnseoge, Heathpark, Kilclammon, Knockroe, Lacken, Millquarter, Moorfields, Mylerspark, Palace East, Palace West, Robinstown Great, Robinstown Little, Rochestown, Slaght, Springpark,
, Ballinvegga, Ballyanne, Ballynabanoge, Berkeley, Boherstooka, Bolacaheer, Coolback, Gobbinstown, Mounthanover, Rathgaroge, Scark, Carnagh, Cushinstown, Aclamon, Terrerath, Ballinaboola, Kilscanlon.
Ballintubber GAA is a Gaelic Athletic Association club, based in Ballintubber, County Mayo, Ireland. The club is a member of the Mayo GAA county board, and fields Gaelic football teams in competitions run by the board. Ballintubber's home pitch is located Skehanagh Lower,
, Co. Mayo.
Mohill is found in south County Leitrim, on the Cloone River, containing Lough Rynn and bordering Lough Boderg. It is bordered to the northeast by Carrigallen; to the northwest by Leitrim (both the preceding baronies are also in County Leitrim); to the southeast by Longford, County Longford; and to the southwest by
North, County Roscommon.
Essentially, sometime before the 16th century, the Connacht family derived the name Monahan from the infamous warrior Manacháin mentioned by the Four Masters at the year 866. The O'Manacháin clan were chiefs of Ui Briuin na Sionna in the barony of
, Co. Roscommon, until the year 1249 when they were ousted by the O'Beirnes.
Leitrim barony is bordered to the north by Drumahaire; to the east by Carrigallen; to the southeast by Mohill (all of the preceding are in County Leitrim); to the south by
North and Roscommon, County Roscommon; and to the west by Boyle, County Roscommon.
The trail circles the countryside around the valley of the River Suck south of Castlerea, which straddles the border between Counties Roscommon and Galway, taking in the "Nine Friendly Villages" of
, Dunamon, Castlecoote, Athleague, Mount Talbot, Ballygar, Creggs, Glinsk and Ballymoe.
Nuala's son was David Burke (a quo Mac David Burke). Local tradition holds that when attacked by O Connor of
, David considered retreating until Nuala, seeing his fear, raised up her petticoats and told him "Teidh suas a bhfolach uathfa san ait as a dtainig tu." Nuala's derision caused David to stay and fight, and was killed. The Burkes descended from David took the name Mac David Burke.
In 1996 Mount Breckan was bought by the Baron and Baroness of
, who subsequently restored the residence. Heritage master painter Clive Holden was commissioned to restore the entrance and staircase. Historic decorative techniques such as wood-graining, marbling, and stencilling were used. The main part of the building is now used as their private residence, with the remainder of the building used for accommodation and functions.
Kilcumreragh civil parish comprises the village of Rosemount and 32 townlands: Ballagh (C), Ballinderry (C and M), Ballinlig (M),
(M), Ballybeg (C), Ballybrickoge (M), Ballybroder (C), Ballynagall (M), Ballynagrenia (M), Ballynahinch (K), Brackagh (K), Burrow or Glennanummer (K), Cartron Glebe (K), Coolatoor or Grouselodge (M), Coolatoor (M), Curragh (M), Curraghanana (K), Custorum (M), Derryhall (M), Curraghanana (K), Earlscartron (K), Faheeran (K), Fearboy (K), Feargarrow (K), Grange (M), Grouselodge or Coolatoor (M), Kilcatherina (C), Kilcumeragh (M), Kilmurragh (K), Laragh (M), Lisnagree (M) Newtown and Parkwood (K).
Archives in Spain and Ireland show that Ambrose O'Higgins was the son of Charles O'Higgins, of Ballynary, County Sligo (son of Roger O'Higgins, of Ballynary, County Sligo, and wife Margaret Brehan), and wife and cousin Margaret O'Higgins (daughter of William O'Higgins and wife Winnifred O'Fallon). Charles O'Higgins' grandfather, Sean Duff O'Higgins, held the Gaelic territorial title of "Tiarna" or Lord of Ballinary, and he was married to an O'Conor, daughter of the Royal House of O'Conor of
Castle, which ruled Ireland until the year 1000.
, County Roscommon, is 6 kilometers from the town of Castlerea. It contains a reasonably well preserved remains of a stone castle first mentioned in writing in 1311. It is not recorded who built the castle, but the builders may either be the Normans, or the O'Conor family who ruled Connaught at various times during the last two millennia. It is said that King Cathal O'Connor called for an abbey to be built at Ballintubber. However, his workers built the abbey at Ballintubber, Co. Roscommon and not Ballintubber, County Mayo. When O'Connor discovered this, he ordered that a greater and grander abbey be built in the correct Ballintubber, located in Co. Mayo.
"assembled the men of Connacht and Brefne, together with many gallowglasses, and penetrated to the midst of Sil Murray and the rest of Connacht, and forthwith burned the town of Sligo, Ballymote, the great castle of Kilcolman,
, Dunamon with its castle, Roscommon, Randoon and Athlone, as well as all the houses which lay on his route ... he took pledges and hostages of the rest of the Sil Murray and was made king on Carnfree. After this he remained for some time among them, ravaging every neighbour who was not submissive to him."
She married John Meade (21 April 1744 - 19 October 1800 St. Stephen's Green, Dublin) on 29 August 1765, son and heir of Sir Richard Meade, 3rd Bart., of
, co. Cork, by Catherine, daughter of Henry Prittie, of Kilboy, co. Tipperary. Sir John Meade, 4th Bart., was created Baron Gillford, of the manor of Gillford, co. Down, and Viscount Clanwiliam, of co. Tipperary, on 17 November 1766, and Earl of Clanwilliam on 20 July 1776; all in the peerage of Ireland. Previously he had been MP for Banagher, 1764-66. Between them (hers being the far greater share) their estates in 1799 were said to be worth £14,000 per annum, which made them approximately the 11th largest landowners in Ireland.
In Castlegar sat the Mahon family. The Mahons were settled at Castlegar from the late 17th century. They intermarried on a number of occasions with members of the Browne family of Westport. In 1819 the head of the family became a baronet. In the 1830s, at the time of the first Ordnance Survey, Ross Mahon was the proprietor of several townlands in the parish of Ahascragh. The Mahon estate was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Grange, barony of Loughrea at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Mr. Charles Filgate acted as agent for this property. The Mahons also held extensive lands in the baronies of Clonmacnowen and Killian. In the 1870s the Castlegar estate amounted to over 32 km (8,000 acres) in county Galway as well as over 3.2 km (800 acres) in the parish of Termonbarry, barony of
North, county Roscommon. In 1906 Sir William Mahon held over 4.9 km (1,200 acres) of untenanted land in the Ahascragh area. MacLochlainn writes that most of the estate was sold to the Land Commission in 1977.
Copyright © 2017