Synonyms for ballybritt or Related words with ballybritt
Examples of "ballybritt"
derives its name from
Castle (near Roscrea) and the townland of
(Irish "Baile an Bhriotaigh", "settlement of the Welshman").
() is a barony in County Offaly (formerly King's County), Republic of Ireland.
is located in south County Offaly, west of the Slieve Bloom Mountains.
This constituency comprised the south-western part of King's County now known as County Offaly. It consisted of the baronies of Ballycowan, Ballyboy and Eglish,
, Clonlisk and Garrycastle.
These are the modern baronies of Tullough (in County Clare), Clonlisk and
(in County Offaly), Eliogarty, Ormond Upper, Ormond Lower, Owney and Arra (in County Tipperary), Owneybeg, Clanwilliam and Coonagh (in County Limerick).
was included in the northern part of the territory of the Éile (Ely), and in early times was a crossroads for the ancient borders of the kingdoms of Mumu, Mide and Laigin.
Éile was bounded to the north by the Kingdom of Mide, to the south by Cashel and to the east by the Kingdom of Ossory. It consisted of the baronies of Clonlisk,
, Ikerrin and Eliogarty. By the 12th century, approximately one thousand years later, it was much reduced in size.
Ely O'Carroll originally belonged to Munster, but is now located in County Offaly in the baronies of Clonlisk and
. The boundary between Ely O'Carroll and the ancient Kingdom of Mide is co-terminous with the present boundary between the diocese of Killaloe and the diocese of Meath. That portion of County Offaly which belongs to the diocese of Killaloe was Ely O'Carroll and originally belonged to Munster.
In early 1200, King John deprived Theobald Walter, 1st Baron Butler of all his offices and lands in Ireland because of his irregularities as sheriff. His lands were not restored until January 1202. A manuscript in the National Library of Ireland points to William as the agent of his restoration:"Grant by William de Braosa, (senior) to Theobald Walter (le Botiller) the burgh of Kildelon (Killaloe) ... the cantred of Elykaruel (the baronies of Clonlisk and
, Co. Offaly), Eliogarty, Ormond, Ara and Oioney, etc. 1201.""Elykaruel" refers to the Gaelic tuath of "Ely O'Carroll", which straddled the southern part of County Offaly and the northern part of Tipperary (at Ikerrin). The other cantreds named are probably the modern baronies of Eliogarty, Ormond Upper, Ormond Lower and Owney and Arra in County Tipperary.
The ancient Kingdom of Mide today encompasses much of counties Meath and Westmeath with five west County Offaly baronies. The Offaly parishes of Annally and Lusmagh were formerly part of Connacht while the baronies of
and Clonlisk were part of Éile in Munster. County Louth was formerly part of Ulster. The last major boundary changes occurred with the formation of County Wicklow (1603–1606), from lands in the north of Carlow (which previously extended to the sea) and most of southern Dublin. The provincial borders were redrawn by Cromwell for administration and military reasons. Later minor changes dealt with "islands" of one county in another. By the late 1700s, Leinster looked as shown in the above map of 1784.
In Gaelic Ireland, Birr was located in the O'Carroll territory of Éile. This petty kingdom () formed an area that now forms the south of County Offaly and the north-east of County Tipperary. The tuatha was subject to the overkingdom () of Munster and formed a border with the Kingdom of Meath to the east. The boundary between Ely O'Carroll and the ancient Meath is co-terminous with the present boundary between the Diocese of Killaloe and the Diocese of Meath. The O'Carroll family had a castle located at the present site of Birr Castle. Following the Plantations of Ireland, Birr was located in the Barony of
following the formation of King's County (now County Offaly) in 1556.
The R421 commences south of Roscrea at a roundabout junction with the R445 Roscrea bypass. The route continues through the town as the Limerick Road, Limerick Street and Main Street. Continuing in a northeast direction from Roscrea, the route forms a crossroads junction with the N62 National secondary road at the Lourdes Road. A short distance after it crosses the Limerick-Ballybrophy railway line and passes near Roscrea railway station and continues into County Offaly. At
there is a sharp turn on the road. To stay on the R421 one must turn left at Ballybrit. The route continues through The Leap & Clareen. The road joins the R440 road west of Kinnitty which continues through the village. The R421 leaves the R440 east of Kinnitty and continues northeastwards through Cadamstown and continues into County Laois. A few kilometers west of Clonaslee in order to stay on the R421 one must turn left for Killurin. The road to Clonaslee continues as the R422 road. The R421 diverts back into County Offaly through Killurin and meets the N52 Tullamore Bypass at a roundabout junction. It leaves the N52 at Charleville Castle grounds and continues in through Tullamore as the Charleville Road, Cormac Street, High Street, Bridge Street, Columcille Street & Arden Road (all formerly part of the main N52 road). The road terminates at the N52 Bypass north of Tullamore.
Copyright © 2017