Synonyms for ballymoe or Related words with ballymoe
Examples of "ballymoe"
The family seat was Glinsk Castle, near
, County Galway.
Settlements along the river include Athleague, Ballinasloe, Ballyforan,
, Castlerea, Glinsk, and Tulrush.
(historically "Bellamoe", from ) is a village in County Galway, Ireland.
is situated on the western side of the River Suck that separates counties Galway and Roscommon. The N60 national secondary road meets the R360 regional road in the centre of the village.
The R364 road is a regional road in County Galway, Ireland connecting Moylough on the N63 to near
on the N60.
Donnellan was born at
, County Galway, on 7 June 1948. He had been a cabinet maker prior to joining the force.
The R360 road is a regional road in County Galway, Ireland. Southeast to northwest the route connects the town of Dunmore to
The R367 road is a regional road in Ireland linking
on the N60 with the N5 in Tulsk, all in County Roscommon. It passes through Ballintober, Knockalaghta and Castleplunket en route.
Thomas Beirne was born on 9 July 1860 at Ballymacurly near
, Roscommon in Ireland. He migrated to Melbourne on the "Lusitania" in February 1884. A series of business ventures saw him establish a successful drapery business in Brisbane, Queensland.
The N60 road is a national secondary road in Ireland, linking Roscommon town to Castlebar, County Mayo. The main towns along the route are Roscommon,
, Castlerea, Ballyhaunis, Claremorris, Balla, and Castlebar.
Flanagan was born in the townland of Leabeg, County Roscommon, near the village of
, County Galway, Ireland. His parents were John (a herdsman) and Honoria Flanagan. He attended Summerhill College, Sligo, Ireland.
The section of the Suck Valley Way from Ballygar to
forms part of the Beara-Breifne Way, a walking and cycling route under development, intended to run from the Beara Peninsula, County Cork to Breifne, County Leitrim, following the line of Donal Cam O'Sullivan Beare's march in the aftermath of the Battle of Kinsale in 1603.
The trail circles the countryside around the valley of the River Suck south of Castlerea, which straddles the border between Counties Roscommon and Galway, taking in the "Nine Friendly Villages" of Ballintober, Dunamon, Castlecoote, Athleague, Mount Talbot, Ballygar, Creggs, Glinsk and
He was the younger son of George St George, knight, of Carrickdrumrusk, brother of Oliver St George, 1st Baronet and grandson of Richard St George, Clarenceux King of Arms. On 18 December 1666 he was granted over in the baronies of Dunmore,
and Tiaquin, County Galway.
Ceannt was born in the little village of
, overlooking the River Suck in County Galway. His parents were James Kent (4 July 1839 – 1895) and Joanne Galway. (They were married on 5 July 1870.) He was the sixth of seven children, the others being William, Michael, Richard, Nell, John and James. His father, James Kent was an RIC officer. Stationed in
, in 1883 he was promoted and transferred to Ardee, County Louth. When his father retired from the force, the family moved to Dublin. They were a very religious Catholic family and it has been said that Ceannt's religious teaching as a child stayed with him for the rest of his life.
The name Béal Átha Mó is derived from a fort which was built by Meabh of Connacht, under the order of Mogh. The fort and village would later become known as Átha Mogh Mór and Béal Átha Mogh. The town is now the centre of a small rural area involved in scale mixed farming. Raised bogs, forts and a mass rock from penal times are features of
Glinsk () is a small village in County Galway, Ireland, between Creggs and
. Glinsk is located approximately 68 km from Galway city and approximately 30 km from Roscommon. It is located in valley of the River Suck, which has a 60-mile hiking trail. Nearby is the Glinsk Castle ruin, built by Ulick Burke in the early 17th century. Also in the area is the ruins of Ballinakill Abbey, which dates from the early 18th century. See Burke Baronets.
The village is situated half way between Dunmore and
in north County Galway. Few other places will boast of such a strange beginning because it was founded in the last century by William McDermott, a local landlord, just to spite a rival, Peter Bumford, who tried to establish another town close by! All is quiet in Williamstown now, as the era of the landlord is long over, and the other town, Bumford, failed to survive. He also helped with the building of the old church of the Sacred Heart completed in 1839.
Baronies were sometimes subdivided, and occasionally combined. The parts of a subdivided barony were called "half-baronies", but had the same legal standing. Some subdivisions came about when new counties were formed, and the new boundary split a pre-existing barony. In three cases, there are adjacent half-baronies in neighbouring counties with the same name: Rathdown (Dublin—Wicklow), Fore (Meath—Westmeath), and
(Galway—Roscommon). Subdivision happened especially in the nineteenth century, when qualifiers "Upper"/"Lower"(/"Middle"), "North"/"South", or "East/"West" were used for the half-baronies. The main basis for this subdivision was the Grand Jury (Ireland) Act, 1836, which empowered a county's grand jury to divide baronies of at least and unite baronies totalling at most . An 1837 act relaxed these restrictions for County Fermanagh, where many baronies were split by Lough Erne. The baronies of Iveagh, Muskerry, and Connello were each subdivided twice: Upper and Lower Iveagh each have Upper and Lower Halves; East and West Muskerry each have East and West Divisions; the western divisions split from Upper and Lower Connello were named Shanid and Glenquin respectively. When County Tipperary was split into North and South Ridings in 1838, the barony of Kilnamanagh was split into Upper and Lower half-baronies.
Copyright © 2017