Synonyms for ballynamona or Related words with ballynamona
Examples of "ballynamona"
Durrow civil parish, County Offaly comprises the small village of Durrow and 21 townlands: Acantha, Aghancarnan, Ashfield, Balleek, Balleek Beg, Ballybought, Ballycallaghan,
, Cartron, Coleraine, Coniker, Coolnahely, Culleen, Doory, Durrow Demesne, Gormagh, Kilclare, Kildangan, Loughaun, Lug and Tara.
It contained nine townlands (Ballybeg, Ballydavid, Ballyerk,
, Coolcroo, Derryhogan, Lahardan Lower, Lahardan Upper and Monaraheen) of the nineteen that belong to Borrisleigh civil parish, the others being distributed among Rahealty and Twomileborris electoral divisions.
Ballintim, Ballinvally Lower, Ballinvally Upper, Ballycapple, Ballydonnell, Ballygillaroe, Ballykean (Annesley), Ballykean (Penrose), Ballykean (Stringer),
, Ballyrogan Lower, Ballyrogan Upper, Blindwood, Chapel, Coolanearl, Crone Lower, Crone Upper, Kilmacrea Lower, Kilmacrea Upper, Kilmacoo, Kilmurry North, Kilmurry South, Oghil Lower, Oghil Upper, Rahaval, Redcross, Springfarm, Templelyon Lower and Templelyon Upper.
Wildlife is plentiful in the area, with seals and dolphins being regular harbour visitors. Whales of various types can be seen from the cliffs in December and January. The nearby beach at
is on a wildlife sanctuary and herons, oystercatchers and sandhoppers are regularly spotted.
This abbey now lies in ruins, as does Barrett's Castle, on the nearby hilltop. The castle was originally built by Cogans, the Anglo-Norman lords who founded the nearby town of
and who donated the lands to the Hospitallers to build the abbey. The castle was said to have been destroyed by Cromwell’s forces, around 1651.
The Avondhu Way section crosses the Knockmealdown Mountains to reach the town of Fermoy and then crosses the northern flanks of the Nagles Mountains to reach Bweeng via Ballyhooly and
. The Duhallow Way section crosses the Boggeragh and Derrynasaggart Mountains to reach Shrone via Millstreet.
About 2 km from Shanagarry, just off the road to Ballycotton, lies
beach. The surrounding land is a sanctuary for wildlife and is home to numerous herons, as well as oystercatchers and whitethroats. The beach offers good views of Ballycotton Bay.
The townlands are Ballinrooaun, Ballyglass, Ballyhinch, Ballynakillew,
, Bargarriff, Birchpark, Boleynagoagh North, Boleynagoagh South, Cappagha, Cappantruhaun, Cartron, Clonrush, Cloonmohaun, Cloonoolia North, Cloonoolia South, Cregg, Derrainy, Drummaanadeevan, Drummaan East, Drummaan South, Drummaan West, Furnace, Garraun, Garryeighter, Gortnascreeny, Gweeneeny, Illaunmore, Kilcooney, Kilkittaun, Lakyle, Meelick, Rinskea, Tintrim and Whitegate.
A Barbados estate, Boarded Hall, arising as a legacy from Sir Edmund Nagle who died in 1830, came partially under the control of John Nugent's eldest son Christopher Richard Nugent. The other main executor was Garrett Nagle of
, County Cork, representing another branch of the Nagles. Edmund Nagle (died young in 1763) the father of Sir Edmund Nagle, Garrett Nagle of Ballyduff and Elizabeth Nagle who married in 1754 Garrett Nagle of Ballinamona, were three children of Patrick Nagle and his wife Ellen O'Donovan. Sir Edmund left a wife and a sister, both called Mary. The two executors were descendants respectively of Garrett Nagle of Ballyduff, and of Garrett Nagle of Ballinamona, not closely related by blood as a grandson of Garrett Nagle of Clogher. The senior of the
side at the time was presumably Garrett Nagle (born 1776).
Other beaches nearby include Ballinoulart, Tinnaberna and
, which are generally secluded and less developed. The local coast is host to many rare flora and fauna and is part of a national heritage site, Kilmuckridge-Tinnaberna Sandhills. A substantial wind farm is located near Ballinoulart beach. Common fish regularly caught in the area include bass and flounder, and a small number of local boats still trawl for herring in the early winter.
The late Neolithic or early Bronze Age court cairn at the
towns-land of An Sean Phobal is the only example of its kind in the south-east. The site is marked 'dolmen' on the Ordnance Survey map, and is known locally as 'Cailleach Bhearra'. It is located about 1.5 km (1 mile) north of the lighthouse and about 100 m (~100 yards) from the cliff edge. This type of megalithic tomb is usually found north of a line between Clew Bay and Dundalk. The tomb at
is a court cairn and is the only example of its kind in the southeast. This type is usually found north of a line between Clew Bay in the west and Dundalk in the east. It would have been constructed by a tribal group and an immense amount of social organisation was required in its building. There would have been many burials in the grave. The bodies were burnt and the cremated bones were placed in the burial chambers sometimes with pottery, beads and stone and bone, and tools for use in the next life. Although the
Court Cairn is neither spectacular nor large, its importance cannot be overlooked. It is known to date from 2000 B.C. during the late Neolithic or early Bronze Age. It is clear evidence of the early settlement of An Sean Phobal by a developed, agricultural society. The views of the Waterford and Wexford coastlines along with the vast Celtic Sea southwards from this site answer any questions one would have as to why the earliest known settlers of An Sean Phobal chose this location. It was excavated in May 1938 by a team led from the Office of Public Works in collaboration with the National Museum of Ireland.
Copyright © 2017