Synonyms for bkra or Related words with bkra
Examples of "bkra"
Trashigang District (Dzongkha: བཀྲ་ཤིས་སྒང་རྫོང་ཁག་; Wylie: "
-shis-sgang rdzong-khag"; also spelled "Tashigang") is Bhutan's easternmost dzongkhag (district).
Tashi Namgyal (Sikkimese: ; Wylie: "
-shis Rnam-rgyal") (26 October 1893 – 2 December 1963) was the ruling Chogyal (King) of Sikkim from 1914 to 1963. He was the son of Thutob Namgyal.
Of some importance is the
-shis bdam-gtan gling monastery, founded by yongs-´dzin Ye-shes rgyal-mtshan (1713–1793), who was one of the teachers of the 8th Dalai Lama.
Sir Tashi Namgyal (Sikkimese: བཀྲ་ཤིས་རྣམ་རྒྱལ་; Wylie:"
-shis Rnam-rgyal") (October 26, 1893 – December 2, 1963) was the ruling Chogyal (King) of Sikkim from 1914 to 1963. He was the son of Thutob Namgyal.
Dakpo Tashi Namgyal (Dakpo Paṇchen Tashi Namgyel, Wylie: dwags po paN chen
shis rnam rgyal) (1511, 1512, or 1513–1587) was a lineage holder of the Dagpo Kagyu lineage of Tibetan Buddhism. He was also trained in the Sakya lineage, and "was renowned as both a scholar and yogi."
As part of her relationship with Thang Tong Gyalpo, Chökyi Drönma received the complete teachings of the Heart Practice ("thugs sgrub") of treasure teachings from Trasang ("
bzang gter kha"), as well as Chöd (teachings of Machig Labdrön and Mahamudra instructions from him.
Lodrö Chökyong's disciples included Tsangchung Chodrak (gtsang chung chos grags, d.u.); Paṇchen Zangpo Tashi (pan chen bzang po
shis, 1410-1478/79), the second throne-holder of Tashilhunpo; the First Pakpa Lha, Pakpa Dechen Dorje ('phags pa lha 01 'phags pa bde chen rdo rje, 1439-1487); and Norzang Gyatso (nor bzang rgya mtsho, 1423-1517).
A new Kara-Khanid invasion of Guge took place before 1137 and cost the life of the ruler,
shis rtse. Later in the same century the kingdom was temporarily divided. In 1240 the Mongol khagan, at least nominally, gave authority over the Ngari area to the Drigung Monastery in Ü-Tsang.
Trashiyangtse District (Dzongkha: བཀྲ་ཤིས་གྱང་ཙེ་རྫོང་ཁག་; Wylie: "
-shis Gyang-tse rdzong-khag") is one of the twenty dzongkhags (districts) comprising Bhutan. It was created in 1992 when the Trashiyangtse district was split off from Trashigang District. Trashiyangtse covers an area of . The district seat is Trashiyangtse.
Nyi ma mgon later divided his lands into three parts. The king's eldest son dPal gyi mgon became ruler of Mar-yul (Ladakh), his second son
shis mgon received Guge-Puhrang, and the third son lDe gtsug mgon received Zanskar.
shis mgon was succeeded by his son Srong nge or Ye shes 'Od (947–1024 or (959–1036), who was a renowned Buddhist figure. In his time a Tibetan lotsawa from Guge called Rinchen Zangpo (958–1055), after having studied in India, returned to his homeland as a monk to promote Buddhism. Together with the zeal of Ye shes 'Od, this marked the beginning of a new diffusion of Buddhist teachings in western Tibet. In 988 Ye shes 'Od took religious vows and left kingship to his younger brother Khor re.
From a young age, Yeshe-Ö was interested in religious matters. As King Tashi-gon (
-shis-mgon) died without an heir, his nephew, Yeshe-Ö, was invited to take over the rulership which merged the kingdoms of Tashigon and Detsugon into one single kingdom covering the regions of Purang and Guge and Zanskar, Spiti and Lahaul and Upper Kinnaur. Yeshe-Ö assumed the rulership of the combined Purnag-Guge Kingdom in 967 AD.
The son of Ösung was Pälkhortsän ("Dpal 'khor brtsan") (865–895 or 893–923). The latter apparently maintained control over much of central Tibet for a time, and sired two sons, Trashi Tsentsän ("
shis brtsen brtsan") and Thrikhyiding ("Khri khyi lding"), also called Kyide Nyigön ("Skyid lde nyi ma mgon") in some sources. Thrikhyiding migrated to the western Tibetan region of upper Ngari ("Stod Mnga ris") and married a woman of high central Tibetan nobility, with whom he founded a local dynasty.
". . . high King Ge-sar Gesar of Gliṅ came to this blessed Zaṅs-dkar, where the religion of heaven and earth arose, and he broke the whole earth with his feet. 'U-rgyan-pa-dma Padmasambhava came, and exorcised the demons; he kept down the bad Sa-
[= Sa-dgra, 'enemy of the earth'?]. The female ogre was as if she had fallen on her back. The Sa-ni and Ka-ni-ka monasteries were erected at the head of the region, the Gña-nam-gu-ru monastery of Pi-pi-tiṅ on the heart, and the Gña-nam-gu-ru [monastery] of Byams-gliṅ on the feet."
bDe chen Chos kyi dBang mo (Dechen Chökyi Wangmo) was a student of the famous Bon teacher Shar rdza
shis rGyal mtshan (1859-1934). When she was 51 years old (Earth-Horse Year/1918), near the hermitage of Nor bu phug, at dMu-rdo in rGyal mo rGya'i rong, she revealed a textual treasure (dBang mo'i rnam thar). This gter ma contains sixteen hagiographies of female saints, including those of Maṇḍarava and Ye shes mTsho rgyal, and seems to be one of the few Bonpo treasure texts revealed by a woman in recent times.
Trashi Chöling Hermitage ("
shis chos gling ri khrod"), which means “The Place of Auspicious Dharma” is located from Sera on the hills to the north-west of Sera. The hermitage, which is south facing, is part of the pilgrimage of the "Sera Mountain Circumambulation Circuit (se ra ri ’khor)". The hermitage that was substantially destroyed during the Cultural Revolution was rebuilt during the 1990s. The hermitage is now a part of the Pabongkha Lama’s estate, the present incarnation, (after his recent return to Tibet) and is stated to be functioning as an autonomous institution with minimum allegiance to Sera.
The last emperor of the unified Tibetan Empire, Langdarma, was assassinated in 842-846, by either a Buddhist hermit or a monk named Pelgyi Dorje of Lhalung. The assassination left two possible heirs, Yumtän and Ösung, to fight for the throne, leading to a civil war. The successors of Osung controlled the region of Ngari, while the successors of Yumtän controlled the Ü region. The son of Ösung was Pälkhortsän ("Dpal 'khor brtsan") (865–895 or 893–923), who would sire two sons, Trashi Tsentsän ("
shis brtsen brtsan") and Thrikhyiding ("Khri khyi lding"), also called Kyide Nyigön ("Skyid lde nyi ma mgon") in some sources. Thrikhyiding migrated to the western Tibetan region of upper Ngari ("Stod Mnga ris") and married a woman of high central Tibetan nobility, with whom he founded a local dynasty. This civil war weakened the political authority of the Tibetan monarchy, dissolving Tibet into separate tribes and small kingdoms.
Yeshe-Ö (c. 959–1040) (birth name, Khor-re; spiritual names: Jangchub Yeshe-Ö, Byang Chub Ye shes' Od, Lha Bla Ma, Hla Lama Yeshe O, Lalama Yixiwo,
shis mgon; also Dharmaraja, meaning Noble King) was the first notable lama-king in Tibet. Yeshe-Ö was a monk-king in western Tibet. Born Khor-re, he is better known as Lhachen Yeshe-Ö, his spiritual name. He was the second king in the succession of the kingdom of Guge in the southwestern Tibetan Plateau. The extent of the kingdom was roughly equivalent to the area of the kingdom Zhangzhung that had existed until the 7th century. Yeshe-Ö abdicated the throne c. 975 to become a lama. In classical Tibetan historiography, the restoration of an organized and monastic tradition of Tibetan Buddhism is attributed to Yeshe-Ö. He built Tholing Monastery in 997 when Tholing (Chinese: Zanda) was the capital of Guge. Yeshe-Ö' sponsored noviciates, including the great translator Rinchen Zangpo.
The Diskit monastery was founded by Changzem Tserab Zangpo in the 14th century. The history of the Nubra Valley and the monastery could thus be traced from the 14th century onwards. Ladakh was then ruled by King Grags-pa-‘bum-lde (1400–1440) and his brother, who unsuccessfully attempted to usurp Nubra Valley, which was under a local ruler named Nyig-ma-grags-pa. The local ruler assisted a Gelugpa order advocate to build the monastery at Diskit and deify the idol of Tsong Khapa, the founder of the Gelugpa sect, in the monastery. During the rule of King Blogros-chog-idan (1440–1470) who had even controlled western Tibet, Panchen Lha-btsun - a resident of Nubra Valley by birth - studied in Tibet and later became a regent to the founder of Tashilhunpo Monastery and finally during his last stage of life returned to Nubra. His remains have been preserved in Charas. In 1500, Ladakh was ruled by
-shis-rnam-rgyal, who fought the invader Mirza Haider of Central Asia, in Nubra and close to Leh, finally defeated the latter and thus bringing Nubra under Ladakh King’s rule. Even then, the local chieftains still yielded power in Diskit and Hundar. Shia Muslims started settling in Nubra after this war.
-shis-rnam-rgyal’ son, Tshedbang-rnam-rgyal ruled Ladakh from 1530 and expanded his kingdom. At that time, Nubra people prevailed on him and preventing him from invading Hor in Xinjiang, as trade with Yarkand was considered crucial to Nubra. During the reign of Jams-dbang-rnam-rgyal, historical records indicate that a regular tribute payment was made by the Nubra people to the king. The King Bde-‘Idanrnam-rgyal (1620–45) successfully defeated Baltistan and the Mughals. Rgyal kings were very religious and built mani walls throughout their kingdom. Monks were specially engaged to recite hymns of "Mani-tung chur" in Nubra Valley and in other surrounding areas. In mid eighteenth century, Tshe-dbang-rnam-rgyal gave away the control of Diskit monastery to the Rinpoche of Thikse Monastery and this arrangement has been perpetuated to this day. Since then, Diskit is considered a sub-gompa of Thikse.
The earliest history of the hermitage is traced to the ninth century when Padmasambhava ("Padma ’byung gnas") meditated here. The main cave where he did penance is known as the ‘Cavern of Dochung Chongzhi ("Rdo cung cong zhi’i phug pa")'. However, it was in the twelfth century that the founder of the Tshalpa Kagyu school, Zhang Drowé Gönpo Yudrakpa (1123-1193), founded a practice centre here. Thereafter, this location has been known as 'Purchok' (literal meaning), “a dagger at its pinnacle”. Over the centuries, the monastery has seen many eminent monastic officials playing a role in its building, such as the Zhang ’gro ba’i mgon po g.yu brag pa (1123–1193), female saint Ma cig lab sgron, Sgrub khang dge legs rgya mtsho’s (1641–1713), Ngawang Jampa (Phur lcog sku phreng dang po ngag dbang byams pa, 1682–1762) and Pan chen blo bzang ye shes (1663–1737). Royal family members like the Queen Tsering Trashi ("Rgyal mo tshe ring
shis") and the King of Tibet Pho lha nas (1689–1747) also supported the activities of the hermitage. However, the most significant face of development occurred during the third Purchok incarnation Lozang Tsültrim Jampa Gyatso ("Phur lcog sku phreng gsum pa blo bzang tshul khrims byams pa rgya mtsho") who was teacher of the 13th and 14th Dalai Lamas.
The "Ga-den" tangka date from c.1850 and these were struck till 1948. Thirteen major varieties in design have been catalogued. In all, there are at least 37 known minor varieties, but possibly 50 or more that could be noted. The obverse of the coins show the eight auspicious symbols (Tibetan: "
shis rtags brgad") of Tibetan Buddhism: umbrella of sovereignty, two golden fish of good fortune, amphora of ambrosia, lotus, conch shell, emblem of endless rebirth, banner of victory and wheel of empire. These are usually arrayed around a central lotus. Their actual order and specific designs varied over time. The two sides of the coin have the same orientation. Starting from the top, the legend in Tibetan on the reverse says: "dga'-ldan pho-brang-phyod-las-rnam-rgyal" (The Palace of "Ga-den" is victorious in all directions). The legend is written in such a way as to fit into eight circles. These are actually derived from an earlier style in which the characters were inside lotus petals.
Copyright © 2017