Synonyms for brauneck or Related words with brauneck
Examples of "brauneck"
was a German World War I flying ace credited with ten aerial victories.
is a mountain of Bavaria, Germany. It is the 'house mountain' of Lenggries.
Lenggries sits on the Isar River before it transitions into the Alpine foothills. To the east are the Tegernsee Mountains, to the west lies the home mountain of Lenggries known as the
with an elevation of over 1,555 meters above sea level. The
is a well known ski area tied together by lifts. The town of Lenggries sits 700 meters above sea level.
Their heirs were the family of Hohenlohe-
, of Isenburg-Kempenich, of Trimberg, of Hohenlohe and of Isenburg. On 26 July 1330, Holy Roman Emperor Louis IV granted the status of a market town to Luther of Büdingen.
The Munich–Venice Dream Path ("Traumpfad München–Venedig"), first publicised in 1977, also runs through the Bavarian Prealps. Although it is not an official long-distance path, it has become well known because so many walking clubs and states were involved in its creation. The third section of the Dream Path runs from Geretsried to the
Gipfelhaus via Bad Tölz and Lenggries. Most of this stage is located in the Alpine Foreland. The fourth stage runs from the
-Gipfelhaus via the Benediktenwand in the Jachenau. The fifth stage runs from the Jachenau to Vorderriß, where the path enters the Karwendel. The end point is at Hinterriß.
Captain Noel William Ward Webb (12 December 1896 – 16 August 1917) was a British World War I flying ace credited with fourteen aerial victories. He was the first pilot to use the Sopwith Camel to claim an enemy aircraft. He also claimed the life of German ace "Leutnant" Otto
for his ninth victory.
On 20 April 1917, he moved to Jasta 11 on the Western Front, to serve under Manfred von Richthofen. He scored twice in early June. On 22 July 1917, he shot down a 10 Naval Squadron Sopwith Triplane, probably Canadian seven-victory ace Flight Lieutenant John Albert Page. On 26 July,
fell to the guns of 70 Squadron's Captain Noel Webb.
Until the mid-16th century it remained a defensive castle; there is a legend of a tunnel under the Isar connecting it with the Neuburg on the
. From 1570 on, rebuilding changed its appearance and gave it characteristics of an aristocratic residence.
Gnodstadt was first mentioned in a document in 1124. Marktbreit was first mentioned as "broite inferior" in a document of the Count of Castell in 1258. From 1351 Gnodstadt was ruled by Hohenlohe-
. In 1557, King Ferdinand granted Marktbreit the right to hold markets, thus the name "Markt"breit that has since been used.
The following peaks belong to the Benediktenwand Group, from west to east: "Rabenkopf" (1,555.5 m), "Glaswand" (1,496 m), "Benediktenwand" (1,801 m), "Hennenkopf" (1,614 m), "Probstenwand" (1589 m), "Achselköpfe" (1,600-1,710 m), "Latschenkopf" (1,712 m), "Hinterer Kirchstein" (1,667 m), "Vorderer Kirchstein" (1670 m) and "Schrödelstein" (1,548 m). To the east the
(1,555 m) borders on the mountain group. The normal climb to the Benediktenwand runs from Benediktbeuern via the Tutzinger Hut to the top. Climbs also run from the Jachenau via the "Glaswandscharte" or via the "Bichler Alm" and the "Altweibersteig" and from Isarwinkel. Other routes run through the Längental valley vai the "Probstalm" (1,376 m; Alpine Club hut not open to the public) as well as up the cable car to the
and then to the Benediktenwand.
BOB Trains are not only highly used during weekdays, but also on the weekend by tourist and locals planning excursions to the Bavarian Alps, with walking, bike riding and skiing being favorite activities. Either a Bayern Ticket from Deutsche Bahn or a BOB weekend pass may be purchased for up to five passengers at a significantly discounted fare. Bus connections are available in Lenggries and Tegernsee to Karwendel, Achensee, Rofan and the Ski slopes on Wendelstein (not to be confused with the town Wendelstein), ,
joined the air service and was posted to FFA 69 in Macedonia. He scored first in September 1916. His second victory, over an observation balloon on 14 December, earned him the Iron Cross First Class. After an unconfirmed victory on Christmas Day, he shot down two balloons on 5 January 1917. He then transferred to Jasta 25 on 14 January 1917. On 19 January, he received the Knight's Cross of the House Order of Hohenzollern. Between 19 January and 6 April 1917, he claimed seven triumphs, only three of which were confirmed.
At the end of the 13th century, the castle was acquired by the Barons of Ysenberg-Büdingen, who were affiliated with the Hohenlohe family. One of the members of the Hohenlohe family, Gottfried III of Hohenlohe-
, sold the castle in 1313, to the archbishop of Mainz. The castle was mortgaged to the knights of Rockenburg, under whose influence the castle was expanded. Then, from 1339 until 1356, the castle was again a possession of the archbishopric of Mainz. During this time, several buildings at the castle were expanded, and a few new buildings were built as well. The castle was mortgaged again in 1424, this time to the count of Hanau.
Lettgenbrunn and the hamlet Villbach were first mentioned in 1313 as "Filbuch" and "Letthechenbrunn". Their creation was likely associated with the "Burg Beilstein", a castle on the nearby hill Beilstein, a rare basalt rock in the Spessart hills which are mostly made up of Buntsandstein. Lettgenbrunn was a small "Gericht", owned by the family Hohenlohe-
but sold to the Electorate of Mainz in 1313. Glassblowing was an early industry of importance under the rule of Mainz. Local nobles were granted the "Vogtei". In 1343, Fritze Forstmeister became "Burgmann" of Beilstein castle. In 1435, the post was held by Henne Wymar von Orb, who passed it on to his sons Caspar, Valentin and Henne.
On the peak are the remains of a medieval hill castle known as "Burg Beilstein". The place is first mentioned in 1059 as "Bilstein" as part of the border of the territory of Fulda monastery, but at that point it was likely not a castle but just a landmark. In 1313, the castle was bought by the Electorate of Mainz from the lords of Hohenlohe-
along with the area around Lettgenbrunn. The castle is last mentioned in 1427. Two important ancient trade routes, the "Eselsweg" and the " pass through the area. The former is overlooked by the Beilstein and was the likely reason for the castle's construction. Today, only the foundation of a wall remains of the castle.
Webb was then reassigned to No. 70 Squadron as a Sopwith Camel pilot on 21 June 1917 for his return to combat. While test flying a new Camel on 12 July, he became the first pilot to score a victory in type by wounding the crew of a German two-seater and forcing it down onto a British airfield into captivity. On 17 July, he sent down two Albatros D.Vs out of control in separate actions; in one of these dogfights, he wounded German ace "Oberflugmeister" Karl Meyer. On 26 July, he killed "Leutnant" Otto
while destroying his Albatros D.V. Webb scored twice more on the 28th, and wrapped up his victory list with a triple win on 13 August 1917. Three days later, near Polygon Wood, he was last seen diving away from his patrol after two German aircraft. He fell under the guns of Werner Voss.
On 22 July 1917, Sharman and the rest of C Flight set off for a morning patrol at around 0725 hrs. His flight was patrolling the area between Ypres ad Messines when they encountered scouts from JG1. As he engaged the first aircraft, his Triplane suffered a direct hit from anti-aircraft fire, probably from Flak Batterie 503. John Sharman is commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the Missing. During the same dogfight, FLt J. Page was shot down and killed by Ltn Otto
. They were both shot down in the same area around Comines-Warneton, Belgium. Sharman and Page are buried side by side at Pont-Du-Hem Military Cemetery, La Gorgue, France. Sharman had no offspring.
Heinrich I (died 1183) was the first to take the name of Hohenlohe, and in 1230 his grandsons, Gottfried and Conrad, supporters of Emperor Frederick II, founded the lines of Hohenlohe-Hohenlohe and Hohenlohe-
, names taken from their respective castles. The latter became extinct in 1390, its lands passing later to Brandenburg, while the former was divided into several branches, only two of which, however, Hohenlohe-Weikersheim and Hohenlohe-Uffenheim-Speckfeld, need be mentioned here. Hohenlohe-Weikersheim, descended from Count Kraft I (died 1313), also underwent several divisions, that which took place after the deaths of Counts Albert and George in 1551 being specially important. At this time the lines of Hohenlohe-Neuenstein and Hohenlohe-Waldenburg were founded by the sons of Count George. Meanwhile, in 1412, the family of Hohenlohe-Uffenheim-Speckfeld had become extinct, and its lands had passed through the marriages of its heiresses into other families. George Hohenlohe was archbishop of Esztergom (1418–1423), serving the King Sigismund of Hungary (later also Holy Roman Emperor and King of Bohemia).
Creglingen is known for the outside of the town. It contains a masterwork of late-Gothic sculpture by Tilman Riemenschneider, the "Marienaltar". The church is a pilgrimage chapel, established following a reported discovery of an undamaged communion wafer by a peasant ploughing his field in 1384. This wafer was thought to be the cause of miracles and people flocked to the site. The local lords, Konrad and Gottfried von Hohenlohe-
, had a Gothic chapel built in 1386-96. At the pilgrimage's peak around 1500 a number of altars were ordered that remain in the church today. The central altar by Riemenschneider was built on the spot where the wafer was reportedly found. The figures are made from the wood of linden trees, the surrounding frames from pine trees. At a totral height of 11 meters the altar dominated the small church. Although Reformation reached the area in 1530, its iconoclasm spared the local church. The altar wings of the main altar were closed, however, as the depicted Assumption of Mary was offensive to the Protestant congregations. Its good state of preservation is owed to the fact that the wings of the altar remained closed and the whole was covered by funeral wreaths until 1832.
Copyright © 2017