Synonyms for breitenbacher or Related words with breitenbacher
Examples of "breitenbacher"
In 1570, during Duke Wolfgang’s reign, the government in Zweibrücken set forth the so-called "
Abschied", a law that laid down measures for the subjects’ rights and duties. It dealt with, among other things, direct taxation rights at Breitenbach, a serf in the village and others at Werschweiler, swine-grazing rights in the woods at Limbach, the use of the Vorbacher Wald (forest) by Limbach’s inhabitants and tolls in Mittelbexbach.
Straße stands a modern electrical substation owned by Pfalzwerke, which ensures the electrical supply for both home and industry. Waldmohr manages to do without any partnerships to ensure its water supply, having its own deep wells, pumphouses and cisterns. A sewage treatment plant costing 10,000,000 DM (about €5,113,000), built to handle a capacity of 10,000 inhabitants, has been brought into service and uses the most modern wastewater treatment. The whole village is supplied with both electricity and natural gas. At the turn of the 20th century, the village even owned its own gasworks, although this was shut down in the First World War owing to unprofitability.
The original settlement arose around the church, which stands about 150 m up from the brookside, as does likewise the built-up area, the original village core, around the church with its former graveyard. The important village streets with newer building along their extensions spread out in an almost starlike pattern from the church, Friedhofstraße (“Graveyard Street”, which leads to the new graveyard) running to the north,
Straße running to the west, Hohlstraße running to the south and Schillerstraße, set a bit to the south, running to the east. The rectory stands across the street from the church on Schillerstraße. The graveyard used today lies at the village’s north end on the Kohlbach’s right bank. On Schulstraße (“School Street”), which branches off from Schillerstraße to the south, stands the former schoolhouse from 1919, which currently is still used for primary school. Another, older, former schoolhouse from 1783 stands on Bergstraße, which branches off from
Straße to the northwest. This building was used by the Altenkirchen Mine Administration ("Altenkirchener Grubenverwaltung") in the earlier half of the 19th century as the mine office, and is nowadays under private ownership. Yet another former schoolhouse, in which classes were held between 1820 and 1919, stands on Friedhofstraße. This building is now used as the town hall and the local history museum.
Even in an economic sense, Steinbach forms together with Frutzweiler a unit today. Already by the 18th century, agriculture could no longer claim to be the only, nor even the most important, income earner in the municipality, for it was then that in Steinbach, as in so many nearby places, too, that exploitation of the underlying coal seams began. These are part of the "
Flöz" ("Flöz" means “seam” or “lode”). Several collieries sprang up in the municipal area. Perhaps the best known was the Maria pit in the east. During the time of French rule after 1800, Theobald Roth ran the Steinbach pits. He paid a fee of 54.89 francs on the collieries’ yield each year. In the course of the 19th century, coalmining in Steinbach was eventually shut down, for it could not compete with the more productive pits in the nearby Saar. Steinbach collieries, however, did undergo a revival in Weimar times because the Saar had been politically and economically separated from Germany by the Treaty of Versailles. This revival, though, ended with the onset of the Second World War. In the late 19th century, diamond processing (cutting and polishing) grew into a particularly important branch of industry, which can be traced back mainly to a Steinbach native, Isidor Trifuß. This industry rooted itself not only in Steinbach, but also in several neighbouring villages as well. After Trifuß had founded a diamond-cutting workshop at the "Neumühle" (“New Mill”) between Brücken and Ohmbach in 1888, by and by competing businesses sprang up in Brücken itself, and in neighbouring villages. The ﬁrst in Steinbach opened in 1912. Later the village had 12 diamond-cutting workshops with roughly 80 employees. Just after the Second World War, there were even as many as 100 employees in this ﬁeld. Beginning about 1960, though, the industry found itself on a downswing due to, more than anything else, competition from countries with lower wages, but also to some extent to the international diamond trade’s requirements. In 1960, there were still seven diamond-cutting businesses in Steinbach, but by 1970, only four. Since then, all have closed. The groundwork for tourism has been laid and will be expanded in the future. Steinbach today is otherwise above all a residential centre for families whose breadwinners must commute elsewhere.
Copyright © 2017