Synonyms for btys or Related words with btys
Examples of "btys"
Note-2 Size & possible battery assignment: 39-24 lb bronze (10
), 4-16 lb ( 1bty), 4-8 (1 bty), 2-mortars 14, 36 bomberos 84,68,12 (9
), 48 iron guns 24, 16 lb. (12
Note-1 Size & possible battery assignment: 11- 24 lb. bronze (3 batteries), 20- 16 lb. (5
.), 6- 12 lb. (2
), 4- 8 lbs. (1 bty), 4- 4 lb. (1 bty), 4-mountain (1 bty), 5-mortars 12 (1 bty), 6- mortars iron 13 (2
), 2-mortars iron 9, 7-howitzers (obus) 8 (2
), 20 bomberos iron 24, 12 & 8 (5
In November, B Bty was broken up to bring A and C
up to six-gun strength. However, the following month the whole brigade was broken up, with A and D (H)
becoming B and D (H)
in CCCXLVIII (2/IV East Anglian) Bde and C Bty becoming B Bty in CCCXLVI (2/II East Anglian) Bde.
Just before the outbreak of war in September 1939, the regiment was split into two: 56th Medium Regiment retained 174 and 221
; the new 65th Medium Regiment based in Banff had 222 and 223
. Both regiments formed part of the Highland Area of Scottish Command
62nd LAA Battery of 20th LAA Rgt (which had been manning the AA guns on the 'Gooseberry' blockships off the beaches) was attached to the regiment for the advance. The regiment deployed at Amiens (393 and 395
) and Dieppe (62 and 394
) on 2 September.
By the end of the Blitz in May 1941, 26th (LEE) S/L Rgt was still with 38th AA Bde in 1 AA Division with 321 and 339
, while 301 and 303
were detached to 8 AA Division in South West England. Meanwhile 27th (LEE) S/L Rgt had left AA Command, and from now on the two regiments' histories diverged.
As part of the expansion of the TA shortly before the outbreak of World War II, the regiment was split into two, 215 (Staffordshire) and 240 (Shropshire Horse Artillery)
remaining with 51 Medium Regiment, while 214 (2 West Riding) and 216 (Staffordshire)
formed a new 63rd Medium Regiment, RA, both being headquartered at Stoke and forming part of the West Lancashire Area of Western Command.
The new regiment rejoined 60th AA Bde in 8th AA Division, but in June it moved to 69th AA Brigade, still in 8th AA Division in South West England. By the end of September, RHQ and 444 LAA
had moved to 46th AA Brigade covering Bristol, while 442 and 443 LAA
remained with 69th AA Bde, and 298 LAA Bty had left the regiment and joined 83rd LAA Rgt in the Orkney and Shetland Defences (OSDEF).
As the situation deteriorated, 53 HAA was split up on 21 May: numerous personnel, guns and transport were transferred from 157 and 159
to 158 Bty and other units of 12 AA Bde to bring them up to strength, while the remainder moved to Nantes in the Loire region to help guard a new base. 157 and 159
, each with seven guns, and 7 S/L Bty (without searchlights), occupied positions on either side of the River Loire.
26th Searchlight Regiment was still with 38 AA Bde in 1 AA Division defending London and was rejoined by 301 and 303
later in 1941. It retained this role throughout the war.
The divisional artillery was disposed in three groups. Lt-Col L.A.C Southam of 280 Bde commanded the Northern Group (called 'Southart') with B/280 and C/280
(together with D (H)/282 and A/283
), while A/280 and D (H)/280
were in the Wire Cutting Group under Lt-Col A.F Prechtel of 282 Bde ('Peltart'), though A/280 Bty reverted to 'Southart' at Zero Hour. During the preliminary bombardment Southart was under VII Corps control, but from from Zero Hour it was assigned to support the assaulting infantry of 169th (3rd London) Brigade. The batteries began moving into position in late May 1916, A/280 and B/280 being the last to arrive on 3 June. The batteries then began to register their targets during June.
In January 1947 the regiment was redesignated 78th Searchlight Regiment, RA (not to be confused with the wartime 78th S/L Rgt, disbanded in 1943), 1, 2 and 7 S/L
becoming 212, 213 and 240 S/L
respectively. However, on 30 September 1948 the regiment was re-equipped with 3.7-inch AA guns as 78th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RA (not to be confused with the wartime 78th (1st East Anglian) HAA Rgt, which had been reformed as 284th HAA Rgt in the TA). In August 1950 the regiment went to Gibraltar, where 213 and 240
served in the Grand Casemates and 212 Bty at Moorish Castle. On Gibraltar the regiment was equipped with a mixture of 3.7-inch HAA guns and 6-pounder and 17-pounder anti-tank guns. On 4 December 1953 the regiment was ordered back to Woolwich for disbandment, which was completed on 1 February 1954.
Early in 1943, the regiment was selected to go to India with 400, 401 and 402
and arrived on 10 June 1943, moving up to Ranchi to join 7th Indian Infantry Division. On 20 August the regiment moved to Khumbargaon and joined 36th Indian Infantry Division. On 30 November the regiment underwent a major change in organisation and role. Two of its LAA batteries, 400 and the newly formed 'X' Bty, joined 100 (Gordon Highlanders) Anti-Tank Regiment, RA, and in exchange received 168 and 321 A/T
(the latter being newly formed). The regiment was subsequently redesignated 122 LAA/AT Regiment.
133rd LAA Regiment was formally established on 23 March 1942, with 536, 541 and 542 S/L
becoming 442, 443 and 444 LAA
. 442 LAA Battery was retrained at 10th LAA Training Regiment at Deepcut Barracks and the others at 225th LAA Training Rgt at Newquay. A more experienced fourth battery was due to be formed from three separate troops provided by the batteries of 60th LAA Rgt; however, in the end the fourth battery (298) was transferred complete from 43rd LAA Rgt.
In February, first 152nd and then 153rd LAA
manned 4.2-inch mortars in support of 6th Armoured Division, then at the end of the month 153rd moved its mortars to support the Folgore Group of the Italian Co-belligerent Army. At the end of March, just before the final Allied offensive in Italy began, 2nd AA Bde had 51st Rgt disposed with 151st and 152nd LAA
in AA defence of 10th Indian Infantry Division's gun areas, while 153rd LAA Bty manned its mortars behind the Folgore Group.
By August 1942, 59th HAA Rgt, with 164, 167, 265
was under direct War Office control as part of the Field Force, and by November it had gained the additional units to make it fully mobile, giving it the following composition:
When the TA was reconstituted in 1947, the regiment was reformed at Finsbury as 238 Regiment HAC (HAA), subsequently redesignated 2nd Regiment HAC (HAA), and finally as 2nd Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment HAC with D and E
HAC. It formed part of 75th AA Bde (the former 49th AA Bde). It was disbanded on 10 March 1955 when AA Command was abolished.
856th and 858th M/L
were transferred from the RA to the RE in 1956, with 858th being merged into 108 Field Engineer Rgt. The last RA M/L batteries were also converted to RE in 1961, becoming 863rd (County of Lincoln) Independent Movement Light Squadron and 873rd (Middlesex) Movement Light Squadron respectively.
There were only minor changes in the brigade's composition in 1943–44. 111th HAA Regiment (347, 355, 356 and 389
) joined early in 1943, but left on May 1943 to go to GHQ Reserve, later 21st Army Group, preparing for the invasion of Normandy (Operation Overlord).
In 2014, the Regiment was re-roled and re-organised into a single Surveillance and Target Acquisition (STA) Patrol Squadron ( 1 Sqn – paired with 4/73 (Special OP) Bty) and two STA Squadrons (2 & 3 Sqns, paired with P and 93
in 5 Regt RA).
Copyright © 2017