Synonyms for carnsew or Related words with carnsew
Examples of "carnsew"
The estuary of the River Hayle consists of a main channel, with several other nearby tidal areas, including Lelant Saltings, Copperhouse Creek (, meaning "eastern inlet") and
Pool (also known as
(by 1497 – 1570), of Bokelly in St. Kew, Cornwall, was an English politician.
He was a Member of Parliament (MP) for Bossiney in 1547.
wrote about his visits to other important houses in Cornwall.
There are granite quarries at
which belonged to the firm of Freeman & Macleod. As of 1972 the Trolvis quarry was still working.
Tewdwr fled to Cornwall and ruled over Penwith from
near the mouth of the Hayle River. He became infamous for his hostile reaction to Irish missionaries. He opposed Breage's mission (although Sabine Baring-Gould placed its arrival around 500), first compelling them to land at Reyvier instead of
and then later martyring several of its members, including Ia of Cornwall; Saint Gwinear met with a similar fate, being thrown with his followers into a pit of reptiles.
Francis (Frank) Cargeeg was born on the 14 Sept 1893 in
, Hayle, Cornwall, South West England. He was the second youngest of 8 children registered as being born to William and Emma Cargeeg over the period 1878-1897.
The farmhouse at Bokelly was built in the 16th century and remodelled in the 18th; the outbuildings include a 16th-century barn and 19th-century granary and pigsties. In the late 16th century it was the home of William
who wrote about his visits to other important houses in Cornwall.
Penwith contains a great concentration of Bronze Age, Iron Age, and Romano-British archaeological remains. The most significant of them are described in a field guide first published in 1954. Tewdwr Mawr ( or "") ruled over the area from
in the mid-6th century before returning to his patrimony in Cornouaille in Brittany around 577.
Although there is a long history of settlement in the Hayle Estuary area dating from the Bronze Age, the modern town of Hayle was built predominantly during the 18th century industrial revolution. Evidence of Iron Age settlement exists at the fort on the hill above
Pool where the Plantation now stands. It is thought that Hayle, was an important centre for the neolithic tin industry, trading not only Irish and Breton people, but also the Phoenicians of the eastern Mediterranean. Evidence of this comes from finds of imported pottery including Romano/Grecian Amphorae - containers for wine and oil.
A number of inscribed stones from this period have been found in the area. Two early stones have been found at Phillack, one bearing a 'Constantine' form of a Chi-Rho cross which may date to the 5th Century. The most noteworthy inscribed stone is one uncovered during the construction of a road in the grounds of
, and is now set into a bank at The Plantation, a public park. The stone was discovered in December 1843 by workmen, lying in a horizontal position at the depth of four feet. When the stone was moved it broke into three parts. A Mr Harvey had it fixed into the wall of his path on
cliff, within a few feet of the spot where it was discovered, and added a more recent replica which lies next to it, where it has remained since. The stone bears an inscription in Latin, but it is now unreadable. The version that appears on the replica is translated as "Here Cenui fell asleep who was born in 500. Here in his tomb he lies, he lived 33 years." However, in her discussion of this inscription Elisabeth Okasha passes over this transcription in silence, and mentions only three early drawings of this inscription and the results of more recent inspections, then tentatively offers her translation: "Here in peace has rested Cunatdo [or "Cunaide"]. Here he lies in the tomb. He lived for 33 years."
In Cornwall he rented the former Benedictine priory of St Cyric and St Juliett near St Veep, and at a cost of £300 converted a 14th-century flour mill at nearby Lerryn to a smelting house for silver-bearing ore. To finance the enterprise he was granted a loan by the Duchy of Cornwall. In 1557 John Trelawny, John Tredeneck and Thomas Treffry were directed to take charge of the mines Kranich had discovered, and the Duchy of Cornwall advanced a loan of £600 to finance the enterprise. Although considerable lead was produced, the anticipated production of copper and silver did not materialise. The lead was sent to Treffry, who died in 1563, at which time it passed into the hands of his son, John, who refused to deliver it to
and Tredeneck, who had taken over the mines and were responsible for repayment of the loan. The outcome of a Chancery suit for recovery of the lead is not known.
As Harvey's and the Cornish Copper Company continued to thrive, the rivalry between the two grew into open hostility. Disputes regularly erupted over access to the sea as The Cornish Copper Company controlled the dock and the tidal sluice which they had built at Copperhouse. Harveys acted to break the Cornish Copper Company's monopoly by constructing their own harbour by deepening Penpol Creek and building a dock. They even constructed their own tidal reservoir and sluice by creating
Pool. Harvey's operated a "Company Store policy" forcing workers to buy their provisions from Harvey's Emporium and prohibiting the development of any independent shops. When this policy was finally brought to an end a number of shops quickly established. These so-called "Garden Shops" were built in the front gardens of existing buildings, and are still evident in modern Hayle.
Turning into the wide sweep of St Ives Bay, where many walkers drop down onto the sands at low tide, the path follows the line of the sand dunes or Towans as they are known here. This area was used for explosives manufacture for many years, the sand being ideal for absorbing any accidental explosions. The Towans are interrupted by two rivers, the small Red River at the north end, and the larger River Hayle and its estuary towards the south. Although narrow, the estuary is tidal and fast flowing due to the large expanse of mud flats and docks that lie behind the Towans, so the path turns away from St Ives Bay to go round via Hayle. The water is crossed using an old railway bridge and then the old Hayle Railway is followed into the town centre then the A30 road to Griggs Quay where quieter roads bring the Path around to the west side of the tidal mud flats. Views of the birdlife can be had from
Pool at Hayle and from the area around Lelant Saltings railway station, although the official path is slightly inland on the A3074 road through Lelant village, regaining the coast by crossing golf links to reach the last of the Towans above Porth Kidney Sands.
During his years in Cornwall, Lewis credits Kranich with introducing useful innovations at Sir Francis Godolphin's tin works, among them the hydraulic stamp mill and improved methods of dressing ore, as well as the use of charcoal as fuel for smelting instead of the traditional peat. However Lewis also allows for the possibility that these innovations should be credited to Daniel Hoechstetter. Richard Carew, on the other hand, mentions the 'rubble of certain mines and remains of a fining house' which demonstrate Kranich's 'vain endeavour in seeking of silver ore' in Cornwall. After Kranich had left Cornwall, a 16-page memorandum was prepared by William
'relating to silver and lead mines in Cornwall and activities of Dr Burchard Kranich' in response to a request for information about the potential profitability of the mines from Piers Edgcumbe of Cotehele. Among the matters covered in the memorandum were 'the many disputes and arguments Kranich had with his sponsors'. According to Wallis, Kranich's mining enterprises in the West Country were ultimately a failure, and he moved to London.
Copyright © 2017