Synonyms for clanmaurice or Related words with clanmaurice

trughanacmy              iraghticonnor              magunihy              glanarought              corkaguiny              tiaquin              ballynakill              dunkellin              killinane              kiltartan              dunkerron              kilfeighny              glennamaddy              clonlisk              shanid              tobercurry              clonmacnowen              aghavallen              ballynacourty              ballymoe              killury              knockane              tirerrill              murher              emlagh              leyny              kilflyn              rosclogher              ballynamuddagh              kilbegnet              kiltomy              kilcaragh              kilcolman              clankee              slievardagh              cahersiveen              carrigallen              shrule              tullygarvey              glenquin              drumahaire              tirhugh              cloonclare              coshlea              enniskeen              kildrumsherdan              ballynahaglish              templetogher              tireragh              banagh             



Examples of "clanmaurice"
Clanmaurice ("Clann Mhuiris") is a barony in County Kerry, Ireland. It contains 16 Parishes and it is roughly 485 km.
In the barony of Clanmaurice is a townland called Monument on which are some scant remains of an ancient church called "Cill Cartaig" (Carthage's Church).
Pierce resided at Rattoo, Clanmaurice, County Kerry, and was a renowned blind harper. According to Captain Francis O'Neill, on 11 April 1601 he was
From 1840 the Poor Law Union plans (as basic administrative division) of Listowel replaced the Norman Clanmaurice barony and civil parish boundaries (although the latter continued to be used to make comparisons) after the act of 1838.
Ardfert is a parish in the Barony of Clanmaurice, County Kerry, Ireland, anciently in the territory of Ui Fearba/Hy Ferba, of which the O'Laeghain (O'Leyne, Leen or Lane) were once the Gaelic Lords, until the Normans came.
The village is located on the banks of the River Feale, 2 miles (3 km) from Listowel. The Finuge crossing is a bridge over the River Feale linking Finuge to Killocrim. It is in the Barony of Clanmaurice.
He is also Earl of Kerry in the peerage of Ireland (1722); Earl of Shelburne and Earl of Wycombe in the peerage of Great Britain (1753 and 1784); Viscount Clanmaurice, Viscount Fitzmaurice (1751), and Viscount Calne and Calston; the 30th Baron of Kerry and Lixnaw in the peerage of Ireland (1181); Baron Dunkeron, and Baron Wycombe.
He was the youngest son of Edmond Fitzmaurice, 10th Baron Kerry, and Una, daughter of Teige MacMahon. He was made heir to the ancestral estates in Clanmaurice, by the death of his elder brothers and their heirs, he owed his knowledge of that event to the fidelity of his old nurse, Joan Harman, who together with her daughter, made her way from Dingle to Milan, where he was serving in the imperial army.
Listowel is located at the head of the North Kerry limestone plain. Positioned in the very heart of North Kerry, on the River Feale, its hinterland is an area of mainly dairy agricultural use. The barony of Iraghticonnor is to the north, with the barony of Clanmaurice to the south. Surrounding villages include Asdee, Ballybunion, Ballyduff, Ballylongford, Causeway, Duagh, Lisselton, Lixnaw, Moyvane, Finuge and Tarbert.
He was the son of William FitzMaurice, 20th Baron Kerry, and Constance Long. He succeeded his father in March 1696/97 and was invested as a Privy Counsellor before April 1711. He was created Earl of Kerry on 17 January 1723, together with the subsidiary title Viscount Clanmaurice, both in the Peerage of Ireland. He had some military experience, and even his grandson Lord Shelburne, in a notably hostile character sketch, admitted that he showed courage and talent as a soldier. He was notorious for his hot temper, and even in an age when dueling was commonplace, he was reprimanded for challenging John Methuen, the Lord Chancellor of Ireland to a duel.
The west end of the North Circular Road contains mostly large detached houses and upper-middle class gated communities. This stretch of the road and its surroundings are among the most affluent areas in Limerick. It is linked to the Ennis Road by Fortmary Park and borders Bracken Gardens and Ashbrook. The east end of the road is predominantly middle class and contains mostly semi-detached houses alongside some apartment blocks. At this end, the North Circular Road is linked to Roses Avenue, the Lower Shelbourne Road and Clanmaurice Avenue.
Following his defeat by Sir Thomas Butler, 10th Earl of Ormonde, at the Battle of Affane in 1565, the 15th Earl and his brother, John of Desmond, were detained in England. During their absence, FitzMaurice became captain general of County Desmond with the warrant of the Earl. This meant he had authority over the soldiers retained in the service of the Desmond Fitzgeralds. In July 1568, he entered Clanmaurice, the territory of the lord of Lixnaw, to distrain for rent and assert the Desmond authority: having seized 200 head of cattle and wasted the country, he was confronted by Lixnaw on the way home and utterly defeated.
The great-grandson of the British Prime Minister Lord Shelburne (later 1st Marquess of Lansdowne), and the eldest son of Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice, 4th Marquess of Lansdowne and his wife, Emily, 8th Lady Nairne, Henry Charles Keith Petty-Fitzmaurice was born in London in 1845. He held the courtesy title "Viscount Clanmaurice" from birth until 1863 and then the courtesy title "Earl of Kerry" until he succeeded to the marquessate in 1866. Upon his mother's death in 1895, he succeeded her as the 9th Lord Nairne in the Peerage of Scotland.
Kilflynn was a historical parish in the barony of Clanmaurice. This barony developed from the area which had been in the control of native leaders (especially O'Conors) but was taken over by the Norman, Maurice, son of Thomas FitzGerald of Shanid who died in 1213. Thomas FitzGerald himself was son of Maurice FitzGerald, Lord of Llanstephan, who had supported 'Strongbow', Lord Pembroke, in his Cambro-Norman invasion of Ireland in 1169 and who began the Geraldine dynasty in Ireland and their House of Desmond. Later earls of all County Kerry were scions of the FitzMaurice barons. Kilflynn was also the name of the local civil parish with its sixteen constituent townlands: Ballyconnell, Cappagh, Castletown, Cloghaneleskirt, Cloonnafinneela, Crotta, Fahavane, Glanballyma, Gortclohy, Kilflynn (village), Knockbrack East, Knockbrack West, Knocknahila, Rea, Stack’s Mountain and Tooreen.
En route, true to his family arms and Constantinian motto In Hoc Signo Vinces and in anticipation of the battle to come at Kinsale, he visited and venerated a supposed relic of the True Cross (Holy rood) on the Feast of St. Andrew, on 30 November 1601 at Holy Cross Abbey, and removed a portion of it. From there he sent an expedition to Ardfert in County Kerry, to win a quick victory and successfully recover the territory of his ally, Fitzmaurice, Lord of Kerry, who had lost it and his 9-year-old son, to Sir Charles Wilmot. He left some of his O'Donnell kinsmen behind in Ardfert to guard the Barony of Clanmaurice, notably his first cousin and nephew, Domhnall Oge, son of his half-brother, Sir Domhnall O'Donnell, and who appears in the FitzMaurice pardon of 16 July 1604.
The alternative suggestion is that the name derives from the 'O’Flannan tribe': in August 1931, in the Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, a paper referencing a 15th-century manuscript (itself said to be a copy of a 12th-century document) listing rents in Clanmaurice presents both 'O Flannayn' and 'Kyllflanyn' as 'Kilflyn' in the English translation from the original Latin, a significant error which may be the root of the suggestion. The cantred (cf. Welsh cantref or English hundred) or rural deanery of Othorna & Oflannan (Irish Uí Thorna & Uí Flannáin) was an Anglo-Norman sub-division, in this case generally along the historical boundaries of much older kingdoms and regions which were part of West Munster (Irish Iarmuman or Iar Mbumba), in the realm of the Ciarraighe, and which later became County Kerry some time between 1222 and 1229.