Synonyms for cwmavon or Related words with cwmavon
Examples of "cwmavon"
Rugby Football Club also known as Cwmafan Rugby Football Club () is a rugby union club based in
RFC is a member club of the Welsh Rugby Union, and is a feeder club for the Ospreys.
() is an electoral ward of Neath Port Talbot county borough, south Wales. The electoral ward comprises the parishes of Bryn and
is in the south of the Blaenavon Industrial Landscape (a World Heritage Site), the Blaenavon Landscape of Outstanding Historic Interest, and in the
consists of some or all of the following areas: Bryn, Brynbryddan,
, Pontrhydyfen in the parliamentary constituency of Aberavon. The largest settlement in the ward is
. The rest of the ward consists mostly of woodland and open moorland.
In 1860 Varteg Collery opened and an incline linked the colliery to
At the end of 1870, he became manager of the
The Abersychan community includes Abersychan,
, Garndiffaith, Pentwyn, Talywain, Varteg, and Victoria Village.
A three-hour circular walk around
highlights the industrial and agricultural heritage of area. The Eastern Valley Heritage Ride (34 miles by bicycle) affords views of
from the western side of the valley.. The Chartism Trail is 12 mile car tour around Torfaen with stopping points and optional walks, and downloadable MP3 files with commentaries. One of the stops is Forge Row in
In the 2012 local council elections, the electorate turnout for Bryn and
was 38.57%. The results were:
The small size of the cottages contrasts with
House, which was built a few years later in 1830 for the manager of the forge.
house is a two storey house with four bays and is about north of Forge Row and is a Grade II listed building.
Sometime in the 3rd quarter of the 19th century, a file factory opened on the site of the
Forge and a house was built nearby.
The Blaenavon Town Centre and
are conservation areas, and there is a proposal to make Forgeside and Glantorfaen another conservation area.
In 1806 a forge was built near the Afon Lwyd to serve the ironworks. At about the same time a row of twelve cottages (Forge Row,
) were built for the workers of the forge. The forge closed later but was revived in 1823, and
House was built (sometime between 1825 and 1835) about 40m north of Forge Row for Mr Partridge, owner the forge. The forge closed in 1840 and many of the workers moved away.
Port Talbot is bounded by the wards of Baglan and Bryn and
to the north; Taibach and Margam to the south; and Aberavon to the west and falls within the parliamentary constituency of Aberavon.
Baglan is bounded by the wards of Briton Ferry West and Briton Ferry East to the north; Bryn and
and Port Talbot to the east; and Aberavon and Sandfields West to the south.
Around 1804 a forge was built at
as part of Varteg Ironworks (although the ironmasters of Blaenavon Ironworks also seem to have been involved as the forge was near to the recently completed Blaenavon Railroad).
Bryn is one of 19 local community councils and is part of the 'Bryn and
' division for Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council. Its served by three councillors.
Aberavon: Aberavon, Baglan, Briton Ferry East, Briton Ferry West, Bryn and
, Coedffranc Central, Coedffranc North, Coedffranc West, Cymmer, Glyncorrwg, Gwynfi, Margam, Port Talbot, Sandfields East, Sandfields West, Tai-bach.
The Afon Llwyd is at the eastern edge of the South Wales coalfield, so no coal mining took place in
. However, the western side of the valley, in areas such as Varteg and Garndiffaith, included coal mines and ironworks.
The A4043 road passes through
. An hourly bus service (operated by Phil Anslow Coaches) runs Monday to Saturday in daytime between Blaenavon, Pontypool and Cwmbran. There are stops at the reservoir, bridge, and community centre.
Copyright © 2017