Synonyms for flaviae or Related words with flaviae
Examples of "flaviae"
In course, the name of Aquae
began to disappear, being supplanted by the more Hispanic-sounding "Aquae Calidae" ().
Chaves is a modern Portuguese and old Spanish word derived from Latin
, and may refer to:
The larger Roman settlements were "Sumolecenna" (Rottenburg am Neckar), "Civitas Aurelia Aquensis" (Baden-Baden), "Lopodunum" (Ladenburg). and "Arae
He also made excavations in the Roman ruins of Rottweil, the ancient "Arae
"; he published his findings from 1833 to 1837.
The Titular See of Aqua
() is a former diocese in the Portuguese district of Vial Real and current titular seat of Chaves.
was founded by Rome, although the details of that founding remain obscure. Ptolemy suggests that it was founded in Turodi territory, a theory that has been strengthened by the existence of epigraphic evidence documenting the presence of Turodi.
Around 350 A.D., Aquae
was suffragan diocese of the Archdiocese of Braga. The only recorded reference to a bishop was Idácio de Chaves, and the bishopric was suppressed in 711.
(or "Aquæ Flaviæ") is the ancient Roman city and former bishopric (now a Latin Catholic titular see) of Chaves, a municipality in the Portuguese district of Vila Real.
The regionary catalogues name as "Alta Semita", after the street. The temple of the Flavian family ("Templum Gentis
") was located "in Alta Semita", according to the regionary catalogue.
Stone fortification of trapezoidal shape, measuring approximately 560m x 330m, on a hill above the confluence of the Sava and the Danube rivers was the headquarters of the legion IIII
. Defensive trench around the area of Knez Mihailova Street was a part of the land-palisade fort of the original camp, which is assumed to be 200m x 400m in size.
The Coelerni are known from few literary sources, such as Pliny and Ptolemy, and because they appear as one of the ten civitates of the convent Bracarensis that are cited in the Inscription of the Peoples of Chaves (the Roman Aquae
), a column in the Roman bridge in Chaves where those people rend homage to Emperor Vespasian.
The Alb Limes () is a Roman frontier fortification or "limes" of the late 1st century AD in the Swabian Jura, also known as the Swabian Alb. The Alb Limes runs for just under 135 kilometres from Rottweil (Latin: "Arae
") in the southwest to Heidenheim an der Brenz (Latin: "Aquileia") in the northeast.
Hydatius or Idacius (c. 400 – c. 469), bishop of Aquae
in the Roman province of Gallaecia (almost certainly the modern Chaves, Portugal, in the modern district of Vila Real) was the author of a chronicle of his own times that provides us with our best evidence for the history of the Iberian Peninsula in the 5th century.
"Esox cisalpinus" was distinguished from "Esox lucius" and described scientifically as a new species in 2011 independently by two research groups. The description by Bianco & Delmastro was printed earlier, and the name "Esox cisalpinus" is therefore accepted, whereas the alternative name published somewhat later by Lucentini et al., "Esox
", is considered a junior synonym.
Braga ("Bracara Augusta") was the capital of the Gallaecia province and still has vestiges of public baths, a public fountain (called Idol's Fountain) and a theatre. Évora boasts a well-preserved Roman temple, probably dedicated to the cult of Emperor Augustus. A Roman bridge crosses the Tâmega River by the city of Chaves ("Aquae
"). Lisbon ("Olissipo") has the remains of a theatre in the Alfama neighbourhood.
In 1973 Costa became rector of the Cathedral of Maringá and later was transferred to São Jorge do Ivaí as parish priest. He also served in other parishes throughout the country. In 1994 he resumed his post as Parochial Vicar of the Cathedral of Maringáuntil 1997. In 1998 Pope John Paul II appointed him Auxiliary Bishop of Londrina. He was consecrated in September 1998 by the Archbishop of Maringá Murilo Ramos Krieger. He was given the titular see of Aquae
Rottweil was founded by the Romans in AD 73 as Arae
and became a municipium, but there are traces of human settlement going back to 2000 BC. Roman baths and a mosaic of Orpheus (c. AD 180) date from the time of Roman settlement. The present town became a ducal and a royal court before 771 and in the Middle Ages it became a Free Imperial City in 1268.
Remains are preserved of the gates, especially the praetoria double gates, of the "principia", or headquarters, and of the "valetudinarium", or hospital. Also found were numerous coins of the 1st to 4th centuries, weapons, terra sigillata and ceramics, along with building materials such as bricks sealed with motifs of the Ala and Legio VII Gemina with which legion it had collaborated in Africa and in northern Portugal, near Aquae
The 5th century Notitia Dignitatum records eleven prefectures in the domain ("sub dispositione...") of the "Duke of Mainz" ("Dux Mogontiacensis"). Ruling over one of them from the "castellum Vangionis" (locative case of either Vangionis or Vangio) is the "Praefectus militum Secundae
, Vangiones"; that is, the prefect of a district called Secunda Flavia among the Vangiones. This domain includes 11 prefectures in the Rhineland and northern Alsace.
Several works of engineering, such as baths, temples, bridges, roads, circus, theatres and layman's homes are preserved throughout the country. Coins, some of which coined in Lusitanian land, as well as numerous pieces of ceramics were also found. Contemporary historians include Paulus Orosius (c. 375–418) and Hydatius (c. 400–469), bishop of Aquae
, who reported on the final years of the Roman rule and arrival of the Germanic tribes.
Copyright © 2017