Synonyms for ghqtre or Related words with ghqtre
Examples of "ghqtre"
and its subunits were disbanded after the end of World War II.
297th Corps Field Park Company had been assigned to 15th (Kent)
and on D-day was assisting 102 Beach Sub-area (the RE organisation supporting 3rd Canadian Division's assault on Juno Beach). Thereafter, it served through the campaign with 15th (Kent)
, including the assault crossing of the River Seine at Vernon by 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division, and Operation Plunder.
On D-Day, 18th
provided the RE HQ for 101 Beach Sub-area (5 and 6 Beach Groups) supporting 3rd Division's assault on Sword Beach:
Meanwhile, the HQs of 1st and 2nd London Corps Engineers had re-amalgamated in 1943 and become 18th (1st London)
. In the North West Europe campaign it had the following units under command at various times:
After the success of the landings, 18th
reverted to commanding its own units, except 940th Inland Water Transport Company, which transferred to 9th Port Operating Group after D-Day.
579 Army Field Company served during the Tunisia Campaign. When First Army was broken up at the end of the campaign, the unit was converted into a conventional field company and went to Italy as part of 14th GHQ Troops RE. It came under Land Forces Adriatic in June 1944, and then joined 20th
when it was formed in early 1945. In June 1945, 579 Field Company accompanied 20th
to Greece in June 1945 in connection with the Greek Civil War. 579 Field Company was disbanded after September 1945.
213th Field Company was then returned to England, where it joined 18th (1st London)
in 21st Army Group for the invasion of Normandy (Operation Overlord). In early July, the unit was involved in improving the bridges over the River Orne in preparation for Operation Goodwood. At the crossing of the Rhine (Operation Plunder), 18th
was assigned the task of building a Class 9 FBE bridge codenamed 'Waterloo'. Work started at 09.30 on 25 March 1945, with 213th Field Company working on the eastern (German) side of the river, and the bridge was open for traffic by midnight.
Early in 1945, in order to improve the lines of communication for Second Army's planned assault crossing of the Rhine (Operation Plunder), additional bridges were constructed over the Maas at Venlo. 15th (Kent)
was responsible for a 1220-foot (370 m) all-weather Class 40 Bailey pontoon bridge. 15th (Kent)
was assigned to XII Corps for Operation Plunder itself, with its CRE, Lt-Col Fayle, controlling all engineering work for the right hand brigade's assault crossing downstream of the Xanten ferry site (Operation Torchlight).
under the command of Lt-Col L.R.E. Fayle was assigned to I Corps for the assault phase of the operation. The unit had been specially trained to construct Naval Pontoon Causeways to provide firm roads over soft beaches and to provide 'dryshod' landings for disembarking vehicles. The "RE History" comments that:
295th Field Company landed on D-day (6 June) as part of 50th (Northumbrian) Division's assault on Gold Beach and fought through the rest of the campaign. When 50th Division was broken up for reinforcements at the end of 1944, the divisional engineers continued as 50th GHQ Troops RE (
), and were heavily involved in the assault crossing of the Rhine (Operation Plunder).
During the crossing of the Rhine on 23–24 March 1945 (Operation Plunder), 59th
was allocated to XXX Corps, with its commander, Lt-Col R.E. Lloyd, acting as Commanding Royal Engineer for the right-hand assault towards Rees by 153 Brigade of 51st (Highland) Division. Preliminary engineer work included improving the approaches to the crossing points, cutting gaps through flood banks, and moving forward stores. During the assault, the role of 59th
(with 69th Field Company of 6th Army TRE attached) was to build and man the close support rafts operating a ferry service codenamed 'Poplar'. The rafts were assembled on the river bank during darkness while the assaulting infantry crossed, and several rafts were in the water by dawn, when they were still shielded by mist. One raft took a bulldozer across to improve the exits on the far bank.
Meanwhile, the other three companies of 59th
, despite casualties in men and equipment, 'managed to ferry over some vehicles of vital tactical importance to the right brigade'. At dusk on 24 March it made another effort to start a regular ferry service, but this brought down heavy enemy fire, with one raft being destroyed and its whole RE detachment killed. At 22.30, Col Nottingham ordered the three companies to float their rafts downstream to a site where DD tanks and infantry stormboats of the left brigade had already crossed, but this was stopped by heavy artillery and small-arms fire from the German-held bank. Finally, manned and unmanned rafts were floated downstream at 02.00 on 25 March and four were in position by 04.00, beginning a ferry operation by 05.00. Shelling recommenced, but despite heavy casualties the sappers continued ferrying for four hours. Full daylight made this too dangerous, and the 59th
companies moved their rafts further downstream to where 69th Field Company was working without serious interference. The sappers continued operating their raft ferries until the morning of 26 March, and intermittently thereafter. On that day 59th
took over operating the 'Gravesend' tank ferry near Rees, which had been established by 5th Assault Regiment RE of 79th Armoured Division. This continued until a Class 40 Bailey bridge was completed the next day.
The next major engineering operation was to strengthen existing bridges (such as Pegasus Bridge) and build new ones over the River Orne and Caen Canal in preparation for Operation Goodwood. 18th
was one of the RE assigned to I Corps for this work, which had to be carried out in secrecy on the night of 17/18 July, but required much preparation in road building and mine clearing, as well as bringing up and concealing the bridging material.
59th (Staffordshire) Divisional Engineers was the Royal Engineer (RE) component of 59th (Staffordshire) Infantry Division, a formation of the British Army during World War II. The division saw action in the Normandy Campaign, and after it was broken up in August 1944 the Divisional Engineers were attached directly to the General Headquarters of 21st Army Group and continued in action until the end of the War in Europe as 59th GHQ Troops, Royal Engineers (59
The War Office realised even before D-Day that the army's manpower situation was so bad that some formations in 21st Army Group would have to be disbanded sooner or later. At the end of August 1944 the 59th Division, as the junior infantry division in the theatre, was selected to be broken up to provide reinforcements for other formations. However, the divisional engineers were kept together as 59th GHQ Troops, Royal Engineers (59
), serving directly under General Headquarters of 21st Army Group and allocated to subordinate HQs for operations as required.
The rafting troops did not get to the river until the evening of 26 August, and struggled to get a tank ferry into operation before morning on the 27th. However, 43rd Division had succeeded in seizing and maintaining a bridgehead. The Kent REs' third task in this complex operation was to build a 223-metre Bailey, codenamed SAUL, in 36 hours. When the 15th (Kent)
and other bridging units had completed their tasks, 43rd Division and its supporting armour crossed in strength on 28 August and began 21st Army Group's rapid advance to Brussels.
The Commandos had sailed from Ostend and landed successfully before dawn at Flushing, but the bulldozers of 59th
ran into soft mud and only one could be extricated, and most of the engineering stores were lost, though casualties among the sappers were light. The field companies had considerable trouble with preparing the landing area and clearing the abundant mines, which were covered so deeply with sand that mine-detectors could not locate them, and they had to be found by laborious prodding – and the process repeated every time tracked vehicles wore away the surface, or shelling disturbed the sand.
The last major assault engineering operation of the war in Europe was the crossing of the River Elbe by 15th (Scottish) Division on 29 April 1945. On this occasion, 257th Field Company from 59th
was attached to 6th Army TRE to operate two stormboat ferries, a Class 9 and Class 40 ferry, and to prepare the necessary approaches. Despite some shelling and persistent low-level attacks by "Luftwaffe" aircraft, the tasks were carried out successfully, and 21st Army Group drove on until the German surrender at Lüneburg Heath on 4 May 1945.
Once the bridges were in place, the RE had to provide protection for them. In conjunction with the Royal Navy, they constructed booms across the river to prevent the enemy floating boats or mines downstream to damage the bridges. In XXX Corps' sector, 18th
was instructed to build two 'Arrow' booms devised by the engineers of US Seventh Army. However, the RE had problems with this design, and instead stretched one of steel wire rope and Jerricans across the river well upstream of Rees.
The assault was ordered for 19.00 on 25 August, with a reinforced brigade crossing on a two-battalion front, one either side of the destroyed road bridge. While 15th (Kent) GHQ Troops RE ferried the assault troops across, and other RE units prepared to build a heavy Bailey bridge, 43rd Divisional Engineers had the task of constructing a Class 9 Folding Boat Equipment (FBE) bridge on rafts. It emerged that DUKW amphibious vehicles could not enter the river, so the assault had to be carried out with powered storm boats, until 260 Fd Co had bulldozed ramps in the river bank. 553rd and 204th Fd Companies began work on the bridge after an approach had been bulldozed under intense machine gun and mortar fire. Close support rafts built by 553rd Fd Co were taken over next morning by 15th (Kent)
to continue the ferrying operation and support the hard-pressed assault troops on the far side.
Copyright © 2017