Synonyms for kantalai or Related words with kantalai
Examples of "kantalai"
Hospital is a government hospital in
, Sri Lanka. It is controlled by the central government in Colombo. As of 2010 it had 210 beds. The hospital is sometimes called
The alleged police officers have not been arrested. They were instead transferred to
police station and are still on duty.
massacre refers to the torture and subsequent murder of 6 Sri Lankan Tamils by the Sri Lankan military.
Another unique festival associated with the temple is called "Tirukulattu velvi" which is sacrificial offering made to a man made irrigation reservoir known as a water tank. According to tradition, this festival was organized during legendary king Kullakottan in the original Koneswaram temple and was directed at the
Tank. During the festival local agriculturalists would congregate at the
Tank and offer boiled rice along with areca nut and betel leaves to the idols.
Kantale (කන්තලේ, ,
) is a town in the Trincomalee District in eastern Sri Lanka. It was previously known as Ganthalawa but in 1952 was changed to the transliterated Tamil name of Kantale. The town is located south-west of Trincomalee.
Choleeswaram temple is a 10th-century Chola Dynasty Solesvara temple built in honour of emperor Raja Raja Chola I in Peraru,
, Trincomalee District. Inscriptions found at the ruins of this temple relate to its establishment and connection to Trincomalee's ancient Koneswaram temple. It is made in Dravidian architecture of the Chola period.
Gunawardana contested the 2010 parliamentary election as one of the UPFA's candidates in Trincomalee District. He was elected and re-entered Parliament. He was appointed Deputy Minister of Buddha Sasana and Religious Affairs in November 2010. Gunawardana was hospitalised in July 2012 following a minor heart attack at his home in
Kanthalai railway station is a railway station in the town of
in eastern Sri Lanka. Owned by Sri Lanka Railways, the state-owned railway operator, the station is part of the Trincomalee Line which links Trincomalee District with the capital Colombo.
is a Divisional Secretariat of Trincomalee District, in the Eastern Province of Sri Lanka. To the north it is bounded by Kinniya and Thambalagamuwa divisional secretariats, and to the east by Seruvila divisional secretariat. In the south it shares a boundary with Polonnaruwa District, while in the west it is bounded by Anuradhapura District, both of which are in the North Central Province.
The squadron has also careered out many relief operation during natural disasters such as the tank bund breach at
in 1986, floods and earth slips in Kegalle in 1989, flood relief in Welioya in 1993, search and rescue missions during the southern floods in 2003 and, the rescue and relief operations during the 2004 tsunami.
Another tradition holds that during his rule in 113 A.D., King Gajabahu I marched from his southern strongholds to the Konesar Kovil with the intention of demolishing it and converting it to a Buddhist temple. When nearing the
tank, he is believed to have been miraculously cured of his blindness by a Hindu, and henceforth converted to Hinduism. The tank is said to be named on this account "Kandalai" meaning "eye grows" in Tamil.
On the day of the incident about twenty (20) police arrested the victims. After taking the victims inside the police post they were shot at close range. The
police reportedly went house to house pressuring the families to write and sign statement stating that those victims were killed by the LTTE or that they were killed by members of the LTTE. Later a national television channel reported that six (6) LTTE cadres were killed at Tampalakamam .
Further to the reconstruction, Kulakottan paid attention to agriculture cultivation and economic development in the area, inviting the Vanniar chief Tanniuna Popalen and families to a new founded town in the area including Thampalakamam to maintain the
tank and the temple itself. The effects of this saw the Vanni region flourish. The Vanniars were brought here by this chief to make make the cultivate in region.
On 9th November 1985, soldiers belonging to the Sri Lankan military went to the home of Mayilvakanam near a Hindu temple,
Pillayar Kovil. The military then abducted all 6 members of the house. Later their bodies were found in 4th Mile post area in Allai road. Among the bodies, were two daughters of Mayilvakanam. Postmortem revealed that the two girls were raped before being killed.
Medieval Tamil chronicles such as the 18th century "Yalpana Vaipava Malai" and stone inscriptions like Konesar Kalvettu recount that the Chola royal Kankan, a descendant of the legendary King Manu Needhi Cholan of Thiruvarur, Chola Nadu, restored the Koneswaram temple at Trincomalee and the
tank after finding them in ruins. He visited the Munneswaram temple on the west coast, before settling ancient Vanniars in the east of the island. According to the chronicles, he extensively renovated and expanded the shrine, lavishing much wealth on it; he was crowned with the ephitet "Kulakottan" meaning "Builder of tank and temple."
King Elara Manu Needhi Cholan in 205 B.C. and the prince Kulakottan of the Chola Dynasty extensively renovated the Koneswaram temple and the
tank, responsible for irrigating plains belonging to the shrine. The latter's reign is alternatively attributed to between 1580 B.C. and 1250. Due to royal patronage by various Tamil dynasties from the early classical to medieval era, the temple flourished in the early centuries of the First Millennium. Hindus built at least three great stone temples with gopura on Swami Rock during Koneswaram's zenith, one to Vishnu-Thirumal, one to the goddess and the principal temple of the complex to Lord Shiva at its highest eminence.
The Chola royal Kankan (Kulakkottan), a descendant of the legendary King Manu Needhi Cholan of Thiruvarur, Chola Nadu, restored the Koneswaram temple at Trincomalee and the
tank after finding them in ruins. He was the son of the king Vara Rama Tevan, who had been a prolific benefactor of the Konesar temple. Kulakkottan visited the Munneswaram temple on the west coast, before settling ancient Vanniars in the east of the island. According to the chronicles, he extensively renovated and expanded the shrine, constructed several lofty gopuram towers and lavished much wealth on it; he was crowned with the ephitet "Kulakkottan" meaning "Builder of tank and temple". Further to the reconstruction, Kulakottan paid attention to agriculture cultivation and economic development in the area, inviting the Vanniar chief Tanniuna Popalen and several families to a new founded town in the area including Thampalakamam to maintain the
tank and the temple itself. The effects of this saw the Vanni region flourish. The Vanniar claim descent from this chief. Kullakottan's restorations took place despite interferences from the queen of the Pandyan King Pandia, who was absent from his throne in Anuradhapura on a visit to Jaffna. Kullakottan constructed and re-established the large temple of Shiva, the temple of Vishnu and that of the Mother-Goddess ("Tirukkamakkottam") on the promontory, these shrines of the compound becoming the "Three Pagodas of Tirukonamalai."
Tamil chronicles such as the 18th-century "Yalpana Vaipava Malai" and stone inscriptions like the "Konesar Kalvettu" recount that the Chola royal Kankan, a descendant of the legendary King Manu Needhi Cholan of Thiruvarur, Chola Nadu, restored the Koneswaram temple at Trincomalee and the
tank after finding them in ruins. Kankan visited the Munneswaram temple on the west coast of Sri Lanka, before settling in the east of the island. According to the chronicles, he extensively renovated and expanded the shrine; he was crowned with the ephitet "Kulakottan", meaning "Builder of Tank and Temple". In addition to this reconstruction, Kulakottan paid attention to agriculture cultivation and economic development in the area, inviting the Vanniar chief Tanniuna Popalen and other families to a newly founded town in the Thampalakamam area to maintain the
tank and the temple itself. As a result of his policies, the Vanni region flourished. The Vanniar claim descent from this chief. Modern historians and anthropologists agree as historically factual the connection of the Vanniars with the Konesar temple, and some cite epigraphical evidence to date Kullakottan's renovations to 432-440 AD. Others cite poetic and inscriptional evidence to date his renovations to as early as 1589 BC.
Trincomalee figured prominently during the medieval golden age of the Tamil Chola Dynasty, due to the proximity of the Trincomalee bay harbour with the rest of the continent and its benefits for the Chola's maritime empire and the two powerful mercant guilds of the time – the Manigramam and the Five Hundred Lords of Ayyavolu in their trade with the far east and conquest of Srivijaya of the Malay archipelago and Indonesia. The Koneswaram temple compounds and its adjacent region, from Periyakulam and Manankerni in the north,
and Pothankadu in the west, and Verugal in the south, formed a great Saiva Tamil principality. Residents in this collective community were allotted services, which they had to perform at the Koneswaram temple. An inscriptional record containing a praiseful poem of Raja Raja Chola I, who ruled the northern Malabar country from 993 to 1014 A.D. was discovered in the 1970s within the premises of the Koneswaram temple. The 1033–1047 A.D. Tamil inscriptions of the nearby Choleeswaram temple ruins of Peraru,
and the Manankerni inscriptions reveal the administrative practices of the Chola King Ilankeshvarar Devar (Sri Cankavanamar) with the Koneswaram shrine and the Trincomalee region at the time. Construction activities at the temple were aided by architect and Chola dignitary Muventavelan Kanavati. The Palamottai inscription from the Trincomalee district, found amongst the inscriptions in nearby
, records a monetary endowment to the "Siva temple of Then Kailasam (Kailash of the South)" by a Tamil widow for the merit of her husband. This was administered by a member of the Tamil military caste – the Velaikkarar, troops deployed to protect shrines in the state that were closely associated to King Ilankeshvarar Devar. King Gajabahu II who ruled Polonnaruwa from 1131 to 1153 A.D. is described in the Konesar Kalvettu as a devout worshipper of Lord Shiva and a benefactor of the temple of Konamamalai. King Chodaganga Deva, a descendant of King Virarajendra Chola's grandson Anantavarman Chodaganga Deva - the progenitor of the Eastern Ganga Dynasty of Odisha and Andhra Pradesh - made rich donations after visiting Konamamalai on Tamil New Years Day 1223 A.D., according to a Sanskrit inscription in Grantha script excavated on a doorjamb at the Hindu temple. A millennium-old Tamil inscription of the Chola Vatteluttu alphabet was discovered in October 2010 when digging for construction on an esplanade on the right side of Konesar Road leading to the shrine.
A Siva temple was built at Jananathamangalam also known as Jananathapuram in the province of Nigarili Cholavalanadu alias Pulainari, and was named as Vanavanmadevi Iswarem after the queen of Raja Raja - 1. They built another Siva temple at Padaviya in the Anuradhapura district and named it as Ravikulamaanikka Iswarem after one of the titles of Rajaraja. Many Chola officials and traders around fifteen of them have made endowements to this temple, and Chenkulavan Katampan being one of them made donations in the year A.D.1005. Another Siva Temple was built at Padaviya and was named as Uththamar Koyil. There was yet another Siva temple constructed at Atakade in the Anuradhapura district and named as Uththama Chola Iswarem after the Rajarja's predecessor to the Chola throne. Chola officials also established settlements of Brahmin priests on the lands of Rajavichadira valanadu covering the present
in the Trincomalee district, and named it as Rajaraja Chathurvedimangalam.
Copyright © 2017