Synonyms for kenry or Related words with kenry
Examples of "kenry"
Pallaskenry comes from the Irish Pailís Chaonraí meaning 'The Pallisaded Fortress of
'. The Caonraí were a Celtic tribe who occupied this part of Limerick in the remote past, who gave their name to the barony of
In 1659 the census counted 299 people in the parish, 291 "Irish" and 8 "English". It is part of the Barony of
On 12 March 1866 he was named a knight of St. Patrick, and on 11 June of the same year was created a peer of the United Kingdom, with the title of Baron
, County Limerick. He acted as lord lieutenant of County Limerick from 1864 till his death.
There are several castles in the area, including Cullam Castle, Ballyculhane Castle,
Castle and Dromore Castle. Dromore Castle is unusual in that it was built late in the 19th century in the style of a fairytale castle.
The parish of Kildimo/Pallaskenry is in the barony of
. The present day parish is made up of what were once the parishes of Kildimo, Ardcanny and Chapelrussell. Chapelrussell parish was once called Killuragh, Killenalotar or Killulta.
O'Donovan is an Australian animator, voice actor, and Internet personality. He is known for his YouTube and Newgrounds cartoons. He co-hosts the internet show "Steam Train", a spin-off of YouTube Let's Play webseries "Game Grumps".
Following the diminished influence of the ancient Priory, predecessor of the two parishes of St Bartholomew, disputes began to arise over rights to tithes and taxes payable by lay residents who claimed allegiance with the nearby and anciently associated parish of St Botolph Aldersgate — an unintended consequence and legacy of King
VIII's religious reforms.
O'Donovan was born on 17 June 1987 in Perth, Western Australia to Irish parents. He graduated from Corpus Christi College. On September 29, 2012, O'Donovan married Holly Conrad, a cosplayer, propmaker, and special effects artist who was featured in "", as well as "Heroes of Cosplay".
His son, the second Earl, represented County Limerick in the House of Commons from 1806 to 1820 and also sat in the House of Lords as an Irish Representative Peer from 1839 until his death in 1850. In 1815 the second Earl had assumed by Royal licence his wife's maiden surname of Wyndham in addition to that of Quin. His eldest son, the third Earl, sat as a Conservative Member of Parliament for Glamorganshire from 1836 to 1850 and also served as Lord Lieutenant of County Limerick from 1864 to 1871. In 1866, Dunraven was given the additional title of Baron
in County Limerick, in the Peerage of the United Kingdom.
The third Earl of Dunraven and Mount-Earl in the peerage of Ireland, and first Baron
of the United Kingdom (1812–1871), born 19 May 1812, in London, was only son of Windham Henry, second earl. His grandfather, Valentine Richard Quin (1752–1824), as a staunch supporter of the union, was recommended by Lord Cornwallis for a peerage, with the title of Baron Adare (31 July 1800) (Cornwallis Correspondence, ed. Ross, iii. 25). He was further created Viscount Mount-Earl in 1816, and Earl of Dunraven in 1822.
By 1601, the O'Donovans which had remained in the Ui-Fidgheinte territory were of little consequence. Donnel M'Donevan, son of Donnogh O'Donnowayne, relocated several miles to Cloncagh, but did not obtain any significant land holdings. The redistribution of Desmond lands in 1585-1588 had effectively ended any significant land holdings of the northern septs of the O'Donovans. The O'Donovans of Limerick and
, whose family histories clearly note they had never migrated into the Cork area, all share a common thread - the absence of any significant land holdings after 1500.
Lord Dunraven died in June 1926, aged 85. As he died without a male heir, the earldom passed to a cousin, Windham Wyndham-Quin, 5th Earl of Dunraven and Mount-Earl. The barony of
, which had been created for his father, became extinct. He left all his unsettled property (acquired during his lifetime), including Garinish Island, his yacht and racehorses to his only surviving child, Aileen. All the settled property, which included Adare Manor and other properties there, as well as Dunraven Castle estate and several valuable coal mines in south Wales was left to his successor, his cousin. Dunraven was buried at St. Nicholas' Church of Ireland in Adare, County Limerick, Ireland. In 1895 Dunraven had lived at 27 Norfolk Street.
By the mid 13th century, the Ui-Chairpre had devolved into the Ui-Donnabhain (composed primarily of Donovans) and the Ui-Chairpre (composed primarily of MacCarthys and Donovans, under the leadership of the MacCarthys). the Following the split of the Ui-Cairbre Aebhdha in 1283 arising from a contest between two MacCarthys, two O'Donovan septs, later Clan Cathail and Clan Lochlain, migrated into the southwest area of Cork where they may have eventually merged with O’Donnamhain's of Corca Laidhe. One other sept, represented by Daniel O'Donovan of Feenagh and descended from Eneislis O'Donovan, allied with the Ango-Norman overlords and remained in the historical territory of the Ui-Fidgheinte, which reached from Muscry Ganogh, west of Kilmallock through the plains of the Shannon, and included Adare, Askearton, Croom, Bruree, Newcastle West and Newcastle
. This sept of the O'Donovans was still resident in the geographical territory of the Fidgheinte in 1549, as noted in the Calendar of the Carew Manuscripts which listed O'Donnowayne of Synganyge.
A variety of sources show that Uí Fidgenti was the most prominent of the non-(classical)-Eóganacht overkingdoms of medieval Munster, once the formerly powerful Corcu Loígde and distant Osraige are excluded as non-participating. By circa 950 a.d., the territory of the Ui Fidgheinte were divided primarily between the two most powerful septs, the Ui Cairbre and the Ui Coilean. The Ui Cairbre Aobhdha (of which O’Donovan were chief), lay along the Maigue basin in Coshmagh and
(Caenraighe) and covered the deanery of Adare, and at one point extended past Kilmallock to Ardpartrick and Doneraile. The tribes of Ui Chonail Gabhra extended to a western district, along the Deel and Slieve Luachra, now the baronies of Upper and Lower Connello. Other septs within the Ui Fidgheinte were long associated with other Limerick locations; a branch of the Fir Tamnaige gave its name to Mahoonagh, or Tawnagh. Feenagh is the only geographical trace extant today of ancient Ui-Fidhgeinte. Though the changes in the name of Ui-Fidhgeinte down to the modern Feenagh seem strange, they are quite natural when one takes into account the gradual change from the Irish to the English tongue with a totally different method of spelling and pronunciation and the omission of the "Ui" which was unintelligible to those acquainted only with the latter language. During 1750 to 1900, Fidgeinte had become FOUGHANOUGH or FEOHONAGH, and finally FEENAGH—a name now confined to a single parish southeast of Newcastle in County Limerick.
He was succeeded by his son, the fourth Earl, who served in the Conservative government of Lord Salisbury as Under-Secretary of State for the Colonies from 1885 to 1886. A member of the Irish Unionist Party, he was also Lord Lieutenant of County Limerick from 1894 to 1926. When the Chief Secretary for Ireland, George Wyndham, called a Land Conference in 1902, Lord Dunraven was chairman representing the landlord side and together with William O'Brien played a decisive role in attaining agreement on the enactment of the Wyndham "Land Purchase Act (1903)" which enabled tenants to purchase lands from their landlords under favourable financial provisions. He was a Senator of the Irish Free State from 1922 to 1926. He had no male heirs and on his death the barony of
became extinct. The Fourth Earl published his memoir "Past Times and Pastimes" in 1922 (Hodder and Stoughton). He was succeeded in the other titles by his cousin, the fifth Earl. He had previously represented South Glamorganshire in Parliament as a Conservative from 1895 to 1906. The titles became extinct when the seventh Earl died on 25 March 2011 at his residence, Kilgobbin House.
Copyright © 2017