Synonyms for kilbixy or Related words with kilbixy
Examples of "kilbixy"
civil parish comprises 22 townlands: Ballallen, Ballycorkey, Ballyhoreen, Ballyhug, Ballynacarrig Old, Ballynacarrigy, Ballynacroghy " Gallowstown", Ballysallagh (Fox), Ballysallagh (Tuite), Balroe, Baronstown, Baronstown Demesne, Charlestown and Abbeyland "a.k.a. Ballynamonaster", Cumminstow, Grange,
, Kill, Moranstown, Rath, Toor Commons, Tristernagh and Tristernagh Demesne.
The neighbouring civil parishes are: Rathaspick to the north,
to the east, Piercetown (barony of Rathconrath) and
The local parish is still called
and is home to a mausoleum built by a "Lord Sunderlin" in 1798.
Portnashangan and Templeoran to the south and
(barony of Moygoish) and Rathaspick (Moygoish) to the west.
An earlier church at the site was granted to the Priory of St Mary at
is one of 6 civil parishes in the barony of Moygoish in the Province of Leinster. The civil parish covers .
() is a civil parish in County Westmeath, Ireland. It is located about north‑west of Mullingar. The village of Ballynacarrigy is the largest settlement in the parish.
Grange is one of 22 townlands of the civil parish of
in the barony of Moygoish in the Province of Leinster.
The neighbouring civil parishes are: Street to the north, Lackan (barony of Corkaree) to the east,
to the south and Mostrim (barony of Ardagh, County Longford and Rathaspick to the west.
The neighbouring civil parishes are: Russagh to the north, Lackan (barony of Corkaree) to the east,
and Kilmacnevan to the south and Ardagh, Mostrim and Rathreagh (all in the barony of Ardagh, County Longford) to the west.
Tristernagh Abbey, also known as the "Priory of
", is a ruined Augustinian priory, situated on the shores of Lough Iron about north east of Ballynacargy in County Westmeath, Ireland. The abbey was founded in 1192 by Geoffrey de Constantine and was dedicated to Mary.
An Anglo-Norman ally of Strongbow, Robert de Rosel, was granted Balrothery in c. 1171 "where he built the town and castle". The name derives from the Irish "Baile an Ridire", "the knight's town." His son Patrick became the parson of the church in Balrothery, and after his death Geoffrey de Costedin donated lands at Balrothery to Tristernagh Abbey,
between 1191 and 1212.
The village primarily owes its existence to the Royal Canal which opened in 1817. The origins of the village go back much further. The first recorded reference to it dates from 1537 after the dissolution of the nearby monastery at Tristernagh Abbey. Attached to the monastery was a leper hospital, a rarity by that time. It is thought that the village initially grew with the decline of "
", an important town in County Meath 500 years ago.
Northeast of the village are the ruins of "Templecross Church" from where the ruins of "Tristernagh Abbey" are visible. Templecross was converted to a Protestant church in the 17th century. The abbey, also known as the "Priory of
" was founded in 1192 by "Geoffrey de Constantine". An Augustinian priory, the abbey achieved some fame from its establishment until 1536 when the commissioners of the English King Henry VIII ransacked and destroyed it.
The abbey was ransacked by the commissioners of King Henry VIII in 1536 and closed down; its land was subsequently granted to William Piers by Elizabeth I. There was formerly a tradition in
parish that at the time of the Reformation the Friars had removed the Abbey bells and thrown them into Lough Iron. According to a memorial inscription in the ruined church of Templecross nearby, the Abbey was repaired by William Piers' son Henry Piers, who converted to Catholicism in later life. It is also possible that the monastery was returned to religious use during the Confederate period. The ruins of the abbey were described as still very substantial in 1682 by their then-owner Sir Henry Piers, but were largely pulled down by one of his descendants, Sir Pigott Piers, in 1783 in an act later described, by topographer James Norris Brewer as "an outrage [...] the name of Tristernagh should never be mentioned without an expression of contempt [...] towards that of Sir Pigott William Piers".
Copyright © 2017