Synonyms for kildallan or Related words with kildallan
Examples of "kildallan"
Templeoran civil parish comprises 12 townlands: Cartron, Clondardis, Coolnahay, Gaddrystown, Johnstown,
North, Monroe or Johnstown (Nugent), Parcellstown, Shanonagh, Sonnagh Demesne and
The league final against
in Mullahoran was yet another disappointing day for Cuchulainns. The game started at break neck speed with Cuchulainns dominating the opening twenty minutes. However, an abundance of scoring chances were missed and slowly
came back into the match scoring two goals from virtually their only two attacks of the first half. The goals proved to be the turning point of the game with
going on to dominate the second half, and ran out worthy winners.
Cormeen () is a townland in the civil parish of
, County Cavan, Ireland. It forms part of the barony of Tullyhunco.
Toberlyan is bounded on the north by Corran townland and Bellaheady townland in
parish, on the west by Toberlyan townland, on the south by Coologe townland and on the east by Killarah townland in
parish. Its chief geographical features are the Shannon-Erne Waterway, a small stream and a plantation. Toberlyan is traversed by minor roads and rural lanes.
Coologe is bounded on the north by Toberlyan Duffin townland, on the west by Toberlyan and Derrycassan townland, on the south by Burren townland and by Kiltynaskellan townland in
parish and on the east by Callaghs and Killarah townlands in
parish. Its chief geographical features are Coologe Lake and the Shannon–Erne Waterway. Coologe is traversed by a public road and several rural lanes.
Burren is bounded on the north by Derrycassan and Coologe townlands, on the west by Killydrum and Derryniggan townlands in County Leitrim, on the south by Raleagh townland in
parish and Lugnagon townland in County Leitrim and on the east by Kiltynaskellan and Doogary townlands in
parish. Its chief geographical features are Derrycassan Lake, the Shannon–Erne Waterway and several stone quarries. Burren is traversed by a public road (which was made in 1913 by Father Peter Brady) and several rural lanes.
Crossmakelagher is bounded on the north by Cavanaquill and Killynaff townlands, on the west by Tonyhallagh and Tonyrevan townlands, on the south by Bellaheady and Killarah townlands in
parish and on the east by Cormeen townland in
parish and Lecharrownahone townland. Its chief geographical features are the Shannon-Erne Waterway, a small plantation, a pond, a quarry, a spring well and several dug wells. Crossmakelagher is traversed by the regional R205 road, minor roads and rural lanes and the disused Cavan and Leitrim Railway.
Corran is bounded on the north by Killycluggin townland, on the west by Kilnavert and Derrycassan townlands, on the south by Toberlyan and Toberlyan Duffin townlands and on the east by Bellaheady townland in
parish. Corran is traversed by the regional R205 road, several minor roads and rural lanes and the disused Cavan and Leitrim Railway.
Tonyrevan is bounded on the west by Tonyhallagh and Killycluggin townlands, on the east by Crossmakelagher townland and on the south by Bellaheady townland in
parish. Tonyrevan's chief geographical features are a wood, a spring well, a dug well and a stone quarry.
Aghavoher is bounded on the north by Cranaghan townland, on the west by Clifton, Mullynagolman and Carrigan townlands, on the south by Breandrum townland and on the east by Greaghrahan and Carn townlands. Its chief geographical features are Aghavoher Lough and the Rag River on its northern boundary and a small hill which rises to 306 feet above sea level. Aghavoher is traversed by the
road and Carrigan lane.
The disappointment suffered in 1985 served as a powerful motivator in 1986. The intermediate team firmly established itself in Division 2 of the football league only narrowly missing promotion to Division 1. They also reached the intermediate championship final only to be defeated by the narrowest of margins – one point. The junior team gained the club’s first trophy of note by defeating
in the final of the 1985 Division 3A league which incidentally was not played until October 1986.
Lecharrownahone is bounded on the north by Carrowmore, County Cavan and Derryginny townlands in Tomregan parish and by Drumane townland, on the west by Killynaff and Crossmakelagher townlands, on the south by Cormeen townland in
parish and on the east by Agharaskilly townland in Tomregan parish. Its chief geographical features are the Shannon-Erne Waterway and the Crooked River. Lecharrownahone is traversed by the regional R205 road, several rural lanes and the disused Cavan and Leitrim Railway.
Tomregan civil parish straddles the international border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. The chief town of the parish is Ballyconnell, County Cavan. Most of Tomregan's constituent townlands are situate in County Cavan, with the remainder in County Fermanagh. The Roman Catholic parish of Tomregan was split up in the early 18th century, with the County Fermanagh townlands being assigned to the parish of Knockninny while the County Cavan townlands were united with the parish of
. The total area of the civil parish is 10,600 statute acres.
The churches he caused to be built in Kilmore were Tullaghan (Kinlough) in 1770, Inishmagrath 1770, Laragh 1770, Kilmainhamwood 1775, Cavan 1774, Knocktemple (Castlerahan) 1780, Ballyconnell 1780, Bunnoe 1780, Tierworker 1788,
1785, Killeshandra 1790, Ballinagh 1790, Killoughter 1790, Glenade 1790, Kilargue 1791, Corronea reconstructed 1795, Kildoagh 1797 & Derrylin 1797. These were mostly single cell barn churches and the best preserved example is the old disused Holy Trinity church in Kildoagh, Templeport. He also founded four Latin schools in the diocese including Laragh Latin School.
In 1985 Cuchulainns gained promotion to division 2 and contested both the league and intermediate championship finals. The intermediate championship final was reached by beating literally the best teams in the competition. One only has to remember the thrilling games against
, Denn and Killeshandra. Gowna, the opponents in the final, proved once again to be the bogey team. Cuchulainns fought hard to get into this game but with Gowna dominating midfield there was to be no joy for the large group of supporters from the parish.
The Ordnance Survey Name Books for 1836 give the following description of the townland- ""Achadh a mothar, 'field of the cluster'. It lies in the South-East extremity of the parish. It is bounded on the North-West by Carigan and Mullynagolman. On the West by Clifden. On the North by Cranaghan. On the East by Drumlane and on the South by
. The proprietor J.C. Jones Esq and the Protestant Bishop of Kilmore. The land agent is Mr. Knipe of Belturbet. The soil is of good quality and produces wheat, oats, flax and potatoes. The houses are built of stone. Tenants have it in lots which are held by leases of years. Inhabitants in good circumstances. Held in freehold. Rent per acre is 5s/6d to the bishop and 5s to Mr. Jones. Contains Sandybrook House which is the residence of Mrs Paterson. A neat house.""
In the Templeport Poll Book of 1761 there was only one person registered to vote in Burren in the Irish general election, 1761 - George Ellis, who lived in the townland of Bellaheady in
parish but owned a freehold in Burren and so was entitled to cast two votes. The four election candidates were Charles Coote, 1st Earl of Bellomont and Lord Newtownbutler (later Brinsley Butler, 2nd Earl of Lanesborough), both of whom were then elected Member of Parliament for Cavan County. The losing candidates were George Montgomery (MP) of Ballyconnell and Barry Maxwell, 1st Earl of Farnham. Ellis voted for Coote and Montgomery. Absence from the poll book either meant a resident did not vote or more likely was not a freeholder entitled to vote, which would mean most of the inhabitants of Burren.
In the Plantation of Ulster by grant dated 27 February 1610, along with other lands, King James VI and I granted one poll of "Curran to William O'Shereden, gentleman, Cheefe of his Name." William Sheridan was the chief of the Sheridan Clan in County Cavan. He was the son of the previous chief, Hugh Duff O'Sheridan of Togher townland, Kilmore parish, County Cavan. William was the ancestor of the famous Sheridan theatrical family. William died sometime before 1638 leaving two sons, Owen and Patrick (of Raleagh townland,
parish). Owen Sheridan succeeded to his father's lands and this was confirmed by a grant to him of "Curran" by Charles I of England dated 6 March 1637. Owen's son Denis was born in 1612 and became a Catholic priest in charge of Kildrumferton parish, County Cavan. He later converted to Protestantism and on 10 June 1634 William Bedell, the Protestant Bishop of Kilmore, ordained him as a Minister of the Church of Ireland and two days later Denis was collated to the Vicarage of Killasser in the Diocese of Kilmore. Denis had several children, including William Sheridan (Bishop of Kilmore and Ardagh) 1682-1691 (his son Donald kept up the Templeport connection by marrying Mrs Enery of Bawnboy); Patrick Sheridan, Cloyne, Protestant Bishop of Cloyne (1679-1682) and Sir Thomas Sheridan (politician) Chief Secretary of State for Ireland (1687-1688).
In the space of a few years the team worked their way up through the ranks. They won the Intermediate Championship in 1970 by beating Cootehill in the final. They were promoted to Senior and the following year 1971 saw them reach the Senior Championship final where they were defeated by the famous Crosserlough team of that time. Over the next few years the more seasoned players began to give thought to retirement …thus a new chapter was unfolding.On the 8th of May 1988, the Killygarry Athletic Grounds were opened in Crubany. The club went into the ‘90s with similar expectations to that of the original team, winning the Junior title again in 1990 by beating
in the final. The Club also won many underage titles in the same decade. The next big win was in 1998 when they won the Intermediate Championship beating Denn in the final. They went on to achieve the double that year by winning the Division 2 League, beating Shercock in the final.
Cormeen is bounded by the following townlands, on the north by Lecharrownahone, on the east by Agharaskilly, on the south by Killarah and on the west by Crossmakelagher. One would expect Cormeen to belong to Templeport parish and Tullyhaw barony as do the other surrounding townlands which lie on the west bank of the Shannon-Erne Waterway. However in medieval times when the parish and barony boundaries were fixed, the river was at a much higher level than now and ran north between the two hills in the townland as far as the present day R205 road (Ireland). It then diverted back around the eastern hill in a southerly direction towards the present day course. Traces of the old river bed can be seen in the low-lying boggy ground along the road. Cormeen in medieval times was divided into two separate townlands. The part on the west bank of the river was called Ardagh (Irish "Ard Ath" meaning the "High Ford") and the part to the east of the river was named Cormeen. The river level fell in modern times due to drainage and canalisation which caused it to divert along its current course, thus placing part of Cormeen on the west bank. Cormeen was thus too small to exist as a townland and was merged with Ardagh to form the present townland. However as it had always belonged to
parish it remained part of same thus giving rise to the anomaly. The Plantation of Ulster 1609 Baronial Maps of Tullyhaw and Tullyhunco show the river dividing Cormeen and Ardagh. Until the canalisation of the Woodford River in the 1850s, there was a ford across the river linking Cormeen and Killarah which was used by the inhabitants of Cormeen for passing to the large bog on the south side of the Woodford.
Copyright © 2017