Synonyms for kiltartan or Related words with kiltartan
Examples of "kiltartan"
The Augusta, Lady Gregory play called "The Golden Apple: A Play for
Children" is a fable in the invented
dialect based on Irish mythology and folklore.
It consisted of what are now the parishes of Beagh, Kilbecanty, Kilmacduagh,
, Kilthomas (now Peterswell).
In 1906 the publishing house of Maunsel and Company was founded by Stephen Gwynn, Joseph Maunsel Hone and George Roberts to publish Irish writers. Its first publication was "Rush-light" by Joseph Campbell. Lady Gregory started publishing her collection of
stories, including "A Book of Saints and Wonders" (1906) and "The
History Book" (1909).
The diocese of Kilmacduagh contains the civil parishes of Kinvarradoorus, Killinny, Killeenavarra, Drumacoo, Kilcolgan, Ardrahan, Stradbally, Killeeneen, Killeely, Killora, Killogilleen, Kilchreest, Isertkelly, Killinan, Kilthomas, Kilbeacanty, Beagh, Kilmacduagh,
St Colman was reportedly the son of Queen Rhinagh and her husband the chieftain Duac, born in
, now County Galway.
Fiddaun is a mid-16th century Irish tower house in the
barony of the Uí Fiachrach Aidhne, one of four O'Shaughnessy castles.
Lynch's literature, always morally simple, remains praised for its otherworldly depictions of life in the west of Ireland. Her protagonists often encounter characters from Irish folklore, and speak a Gaelicised English reminiscent of Lady Gregory's
Lady Gregory translated her materials into a dialect she referred to as Kiltartanese, her version of the dialect (English with Gaelic syntax) spoken in her home barony of
. The effect is not overwhelming, however, and is quite readable.
Harald was killed in 940 by the Caenraighi of Aidhne. According to Lenihan this group was "a sept seated in the Barony of
, county of Galway". The "Annals of the Four Masters" say the following:
is a barony and civil parish in County Galway, Ireland. The southern portion of this barony was formerly known as Cenél Áeda na hEchtge or O'Shaughnessy's Country, the northern portion was called Coill Ua bhFiachrach (the territory of the Hynes clan) and the eastern part was called Oireacht Réamoinn (Mac Redmonds clan, a branch of the Burkes). It was the home of Lady Gregory, Edward Martyn, and a regular residence of W.B. Yeats. The barony takes its name from the Burke stronghold of
Castle (now demolished) also known as Castletown or Ballycastle. The castle in turn takes its name from the medieval church of
a short distance to the north. The original Irish name for the church and parish was Cill Athrachta (church of St. Attracta) which was corrupted to Cill Tortain. The older anglicised form was Kiltaraght which is closer to the original Irish form.
Up until the late 17th century the O Shaughnessys held the sub district of Uí Fhiachrach Aidhne known as Cenél Áeda na hEchtge, which was also their clan name. Cenél Áeda na hEchtge consisted roughly of the civil parishes of Beagh, Kilmacduagh and
and also parts of the civil parishes of Kibeacanty and Kilthomas.
The nearby four-arched bridge dates to around 1825. In 1837, the Carrig family was recorded as living in the castle. At the time of Griffith's Valuation (1857), Patrick Carrick was leasing a herd's house, castle and land at Ballylee, barony of
, from William Henry Gregory. At the time, the property was valued at £5.
Gregory is buried in the Gregory family vault at
, County Galway. Though originally part of Coole Demesne, the area overlooking the Gort river is now used as farmland. At the time of Lady Gregory's death in 1932, the land had already been sold to former tenants so she was buried with her sister at Bohermore Cemetery near Galway.
Hynes is a native of Kylegarriff, Killeenadeema, Loughrea. His family originally lived in Lydican Castle,
, before being evicted by Cromwellians in the 17th century. They became tenants of Clanricarde at Carrowsteelagh townland (Woodville) in Ballymanagh parish. They were again evicted c. 1700 and settled at Kylegarriff, Killeenadeema.
A grandnephew of Fr. Thomas Cawley (1878–1949) and a great-grandnephew of Fr. Edward Holland, O.D.C. (1838–1918). Born at Raheen House, Gort, to Thomas Coen and Mary Holland, he was educated at
national school and St. Mary's College, Galway (1947–52). He studied for the priesthood in the Irish College in Rome and was ordained in 1958.
The territory of Uí Fhiachrach Aidhne is coextensive with the diocese of Cill Mhic Dhuach / Kilmacduagh, which contains the civil parishes of Kinvarradoorus, Killinny, Killeenavarra, Drumacoo, Kilcolgan, Ardrahan, Stradbally, Killeeneen, Killeely, Killora, Killogilleen, Kilchreest, Isertkelly, Killinan, Kilthomas, Kilbeacanty, Beagh, Kilmacduagh,
. The diocese of Kilmacduagh contains the present Catholic parishes of Kinvara, Ballinderreen, Gort, Ardrahan, Craughwell, Beagh, Kilbeacanty, Kilthomas (Peterswell), Clarinbridge, Kilchreest.
As with many relics, Colman's abbatial crozier has been used through the centuries for the swearing of oaths. Although it was in the custodianship of the O'Heynes of
(descendants of King Guaire) and their relatives, the O'Shaughnessys, it can now be seen in the National Museum in Dublin (Attwater, Benedictines, Carty, D'Arcy, Farmer, MacLysaght, Montague, Stokes).
Kinvara (, meaning ""head of the sea""), also spelled Kinvarra, is a sea port village located in the south of County Galway, Ireland. It is located in the civil parish of Kinvarradoorus in the north of the barony of
. Kinvarra is also a District Electoral Division (DED). In the Catholic Church, the Ecclesiastical parish of Kinvara is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora and comprises the civil parishes of, Kinvarradoorus and Killinny (Killina).
A trip to Inisheer in the Aran Islands in 1893 re-awoke an interest in the Irish language and in the folklore of the area in which she lived. She organised Irish lessons at the school at Coole and began collecting tales from the area around her home, especially from the residents of Gort workhouse. One of the tutors she employed, was Norma Borthwick, who would visit Coole numerous times. This activity led to the publication of a number of volumes of folk material, including "A Book of Saints and Wonders" (1906), "The
History Book" (1909), and "The
Wonder Book" (1910). She also produced a number of collections of "Kiltartanese" versions of Irish myths, including "Cuchulain of Muirthemne" (1902) and "Gods and Fighting Men" (1904). ("Kiltartanese" is Lady Gregory's term for English with Gaelic syntax, based on the dialect spoken in
.) In his introduction to the former, Yeats wrote "I think this book is the best that has come out of Ireland in my time." James Joyce was to parody this claim in the Scylla and Charybdis chapter of his novel "Ulysses".
Kozłowski died during a cave dive in the Gort lowlands on 5 September 2011. His body was successfully recovered on 10 September 2011 after an extensive recovery effort. The cave in which he died is called Pollonora 10 in the townland of
, Gort, County Galway, Ireland, and his body was found at the known limits of the cave, at a depth of and approximately from the entrance.
Copyright © 2017