Synonyms for komatipoort or Related words with komatipoort
Examples of "komatipoort"
The Nkomati Accord was signed in
was the last stop in the South African Republic (ZAR) Pretoria - Delagoa Bay Line constructed by the Netherlands-South African Railway Company (NZASM) with the first train crossing the border at
from the ZAR to Portuguese East Africa on 1 July 1891 after the completion of the rail bridge over the Komati River.
They were later transferred to the Witwatersrand for a short period, after which they worked on the
-Waterval Boven section until they were withdrawn by 1936.
The Portuguese line from Delagoa Bay had already reached the border on 14 December 1887, but the first train from Delagoa Bay only entered
on 1 July 1891, when the NZASM's contractors completed the bridge across the Komati River. The line from
to Nelspruit was completed by 20 June 1892. Waterval Boven was reached on 20 June 1894 and Balmoral, near Witbank, on 20 October 1894, connecting with the line which had simultaneously been built eastwards from Pretoria.
The main picture shows no. 50, the S.W. Burger, on a mixed train at
. The picture of the same engine below offers a side view of the 40 Tonner locomotive.
It originates north of Dullstroom, Mpumalanga, in the Steenkampsberg Mountains. Downstream of Kwena Dam, the Crocodile River winds through the Schoemanskloof and down the Montrose Falls. It then flows eastwards past Nelspruit and joins the Komati River at
The first Long Tom was destroyed on the banks of the Komati River near
on 22 September 1900. The exact place is not known. The approximate location is 25°27'09"S,31°56'57"E(WGS84)
The Samora Machel Monument in Mbuzini, near
in the Mpumalanga province of South Africa, marks the spot where the plane carrying the then-President of Mozambique crashed in 1986. It was declared a National Heritage Site in 2006.
Gun D. This gun remained on the farm Driekop throughout the battle. The emplacement was found at 25°48'11"S, 30°10'22"E [WGS84]. After the battle it was taken to
The Randtram line was officially opened on 17 March 1890. The Portuguese line from Delagoa Bay had already reached the Transvaal border on 14 December 1887, but the first train from Delagoa Bay only entered
on 1 July 1891 when the NZASM's contractors completed the bridge across the Komati river. The section from
to Nelspruit was completed by 20 June 1892. Waterval Boven was reached on 20 June 1894 and Balmoral, near Witbank, on 20 October 1894. Here, connection was made with the section which had simultaneously been built eastwards from Pretoria.
After serving on the Estcourt to Charlestown section for many years, they were transferred to the Witwatersrand for a short period, after which they were transferred to the section between
and Waterval Boven in the Eastern Transvaal. Here they worked passenger and fast perishables trains until they were withdrawn and scrapped in 1936.
The Class locomotives work on mainlines in the northern and northeastern parts of the country. Most of them are shedded at Ermelo and Lydenburg in Mpumalanga and at Empangeni in KwaZulu-Natal. They work on the Belfast-Steelpoort line and on the manganese route between the Mpumalanga Lowveld and KwaZulu-Natal, from
through Swaziland to Empangeni and Richards Bay.
Shosholoza Meyl inter-city services originating from Johannesburg pass through Pretoria en route to Musina via Polokwane and
via Nelspruit. Metrorail commuter services operate from Pretoria west to Atteridgeville, north to Soshanguve and Ga-Rankuwa, east to Mamelodi, and south to Johannesburg Park Station. The Gautrain connects Pretoria station to Park Station, with another going east in Pretoria to Hatfield.
On 16 March 1984, the Nkomati Accord was signed at
between South Africa and Mozambique. A clause in this agreement prohibited support of third-party resistance groups. In his commentary on the accord, South African foreign minister Pik Botha admitted in an SABC television interview that South Africa had offered limited support to RENAMO in the past.
In the 1890s
of those days was a wild and uproarious construction camp for the railway being built from Lourenco Marques (modern Maputo). Conditions weren’t the best with the area was gripped by a malaria epidemic; it was in the zone called 'fever country'.
Village some 29 km south-east of Hoedspruit and 165 km north-west of
. The name is variously explained as being an adaptation of Eekhoornhoek ('squirrel corner'); derived from the German surname Eichhorn, and named after the acornlike fruits of the marula tree.
Two national highways, the N4 from Pretoria and the N12 from Johannesburg, converge at Witbank and then continue to
, on the border of Mozambique. Together, these routes form the Maputo Corridor, a strategically important alternative to the South African ports of Richards Bay and Durban on the Indian Ocean shores of the country.
The corridor comprises roads - including the new N4 highway - and railways, ports, and border facilities at
. which connect the industrial areas around Gauteng, and mines and agricultural districts to the east, with ports on the Mozambique coast. Maputo and Matola are both deepwater ports.
Hamlet some 30 km west of
and 80 km north-east of Pigg's Peak. Named after a tributary of the Crocodile River, the Hectorspruit, which is said to take its name from a hunting-dog which died there from a tsetse fly bite.
is a town situated at the confluence of the Crocodile and Komati Rivers in Mpumalanga province, South Africa. The town is 8 km from the Crocodile Bridge Gate into the Kruger Park, and just 5 km from the Mozambique border and 65 km from the Swaziland border.
Copyright © 2017