Synonyms for lardeau or Related words with lardeau
Examples of "lardeau"
, originally spelled Lardo, is an unincorporated community and former mining town near the north end of Kootenay Lake in the West Kootenay region of southeastern British Columbia, Canada. The centre of a district known as the
mines, and as the
once had ambitions of becoming much larger, like Trout Lake City nearby on the lake of the same name, which forms a pass through to Galena Bay on Upper Arrow Lake, through which planned railways were to have turned Trout Lake and
into the great cities they were dreamed of becoming.
today is a mixed farming and logging community.
In 1900 Pettipiece supported female enfranchisement in the "
Creek is a creek located in the West Kootenay region of British Columbia. The creek flows into the head of Trout Lake. Gold was discovered prior to 1900.
Creek has been mined since its discovery. The creek has been mined using several methods, including hydraulicking.
Richard Parmater Pettipiece had been publishing the "
Eagle", a miners' journal that supported the Socialist League. In 1902 he bought an interest in the "Citizen and Country".
Gold Hill is a ghost town located in the West Kootenay region of British Columbia. The town is situated on C.P.R., Northwest of
Ferguson is a ghost town located in the West Kootenay region of British Columbia. It is located west of the junction of Ferguson and
Creeks. It came into being with the discovery of gold in the region. In 1897, the
Hotel opened. By 1899, Ferguson had a main street with hotels, shops and saloons, and a population of 800. It had a newspaper called "The Ferguson Eagle". It eventually went into decline and by 1920 was almost deserted. The
Hotel stood into the 1970s.
In 1902 Pettipiece sold the "
Eagle" and bought an interest in Toronto-based CSL organ "Citizen and Country", which he moved to Vancouver.
Pettipiece began to publish the "
Eagle" in Ferguson, British Columbia, a miner's journal that published the views of the Canadian Socialist League (CSL).
5 Treasure Story From
Country - C.P.R. lineman Walter Clough is one of the key figures in the story of "The Lost Mortar & Pestle Mine" - a mine that yielded incredibly high-grade gold ore.
Trout Lake, also known as Trout Lake City, is an unincorporated rural community and former mining and railway-speculation boomtown located at the north end of Trout Lake in the West Kootenay district of southeastern British Columbia, Canada. The
River runs into Trout Lake (the lake) and exits at the south end of the lake. It then runs as does the lake on a southeastern course to the community of
at the north end of Kootenay Lake, while beyond it and the townsite of Trout Lake at its northwestern end is a low pass to the Beaton Arm of Upper Arrow Lake at Galena Bay. Speculation on railway development through this pass promoted a great amount of speculation at Trout Lake, or Trout Lake City as it soon was proclaimed to be, as well as at
and other potential townsites along the rail line's route.
In 1897, the Kootenay and Arrowhead Railway, a subsidiary of the CPR announced plans to build a rail line along the course of the
River from Kootenay Lake to Upper Arrow Lake. The Great Northern Railway also began surveying the same route, with a view towards constructing a completing line on the opposite of the river.
In 1902 Richard Parmater Pettipiece, who had been publishing the "
Eagle", a miners' journal that supported the Socialist League, bought an interest in George Weston Wrigley's "Citizen and Country". Starting in July 1902 the journal began appearing in Vancouver with Wrigley's help as the "Canadian Socialist".
The CPR also built rail lines to Sandon. The Nakusp and Slocan line went from Nakusp to Summit Lake, then down to Slocan Lake, past Rosebery, then up to Denver Canyon (New Denver). Then it drove up the hill along Carpenter Creek, to the mountainous mining town of Sandon. After the disastrous forest fire of 1911, the CPR bought the charred remains of the GN narrow gauge line Kaslo and Slocan Railway and rebuilt parts to standard gauge. The CPR then ran lake steamers and rail-car barges to link these disconnected lines over the lakes—from Kaslo to Nelson on Kootenay Lake; from Rosebery to Slocan City on Slocan Lake; and from Robson to Nakusp to Arrowhead (near Revelstoke) on the Arrow Lakes. The CPR attempted to build a connecting line from
, past Poplar Meadow—fifteen miles up the
River to Marblehead. Low traffic caused the line never to be finished to Trout Lake, Beaton and Arrowhead.
"'Field Diary” offers a civilian image of war, […] setting it apart from the rest of audio-visual production by its content as much as by its mode of operation, by the solution it offers to a problem that pertains to the ethics of the filmmaker as much as to the aesthetics of cinema” (Yann
, “Une éthique du travelling”, Cahiers du cinéma, n°344, February 1983).
The Duncan River originates near Mount Dawson and flows south through the Purcell Trench between the Selkirk Mountains and Purcell Mountains. It flows into Duncan Lake, a natural lake that has been enlarged by Duncan Dam. A short distance below the dam, the Duncan River is joined by the
River, its largest single tributary. From here the river continues south to join the Kootenay River at the North Arm of Kootenay Lake.
Galena Bay is the location of a terminal of the Upper Arrow Lakes Ferry. This linking Galena Bay to Shelter Bay, the link forming part of British Columbia Highway 23 from Nakusp to Revelstoke. Galena Bay is also the terminus of British Columbia Highway 31, which runs southeast via Trout Lake City and
and then south down the west side of the north arm of Kootenay Lake to Balfour, near Nelson.
It serves as one terminus of the Upper Arrow Lakes Ferry, that crosses the lake to Galena Bay. This ferry connects British Columbia Highway 23 from Revelstoke to that highway's continuation from Galena Bay to Nakusp along the east shore of Upper Arrow Lake. It also provides a link to the start of British Columbia Highway 31 which runs from Galena Bay via Galena Pass to
on Kootenay Lake and hence down the west side of that lake to Balfour.
The "Moyie's" last run was on April 27, 1957. She ran her regular 87-mile-long route, stopping at towns and landings such as Riondel, Ainsworth, Kaslo,
, and Argenta. At each stop she was greeted by tearful residents who honored her many years of service by farewell banners, songs and wreaths. At Argenta, she left to the sad strains of "Auld Lang Syne". At Kaslo, the stores were closed and a banner read, "Better lo'ed ye ne'er will be. Will ye no come back again?" When her last journey was finished, she pulled into the wharf at Procter.
The area is the upper end of the
district. The river's course is nearly due south from its origin in the Selkirk Mountains at the southwest toe of the Illecillewaet Neve, which is on the south side of the Rogers Pass and is also the source of the Illecillewaet River. Sometimes called the Fish River, this is a wild outfall, amid large cedars, hemlock, devil's club and bears. Pope and Talbot owned the timber lease, and wanted to cut the prime cedar, there being a grove of spectacular thousand year old cedar in the area. P and T have since gone bankrupt and the road through the canyon by river has washed out.
Poplar Creek is a ghost town located in the West Kootenay region of British Columbia. The town is located north of the town of
at the head of Kootenay Lake. Poplar Creek is also called Poplar. Gold was discovered on the right of way of the Arrowhead and Kootenay Railway early in 1903. The discovery of gold led to the creation of the town of Poplar in 1903. Four hotels and several stores were built along one side of the only street on the townsite. R.T. Lowery, of Kootenay newspaper fame, established a newspaper called the "Poplar Creek Nugget". The gold boom in the area only lasted about a year and soon Poplar was on the decline. In 1973 the remains of hotels like the Royal and the Commercial along with some log cabins are all that could be seen.
Copyright © 2017