Synonyms for llanerchymedd or Related words with llanerchymedd
Examples of "llanerchymedd"
The following year (1835) an Eisteddfod was held in the Gwynedd "talaith" in
, Anglesey, where Clwydfardd was acclaimed to be that Eisteddfod's "Chief Bard".
The railway continues north-west over easier terrain towards Llangwyllog and
, where it turns north, running to the west of Llyn Alaw toward Rhosgoch. It then turns north-east around Parys Mountain before reaching Amlwch.
The line had been built single track throughout, with the only run-around loop provided at Amlwch, meaning that trains could not pass each other. To ensure safe working, the Staff and Ticket system was used in three sections: Gaerwen-Llangefni, Llangefni-
-Amlwch, using "A" and "B" configured staffs alternately. No turntable was built, as the intended Fairlie engines would not require one. When the LNWR provided engines, they used tank engines where possible, rather than an engine with a tender.
Born on 22 March 1693, he was son of Gruffydd Hughes, who claimed lineage, according to the Welsh genealogies, from Tegeryn ab Carwed, the lord of Twrcelyn. He was mainly self-educated, and generally lived on his estate at Llwydiarth Esgob, near
, Anglesey. He died on 6 April 1776, and was buried in Holyhead churchyard.
Llannerch-y-medd, sometimes also spelt "Llanerch-y-Medd", "Llannerch-y-Medd" or "
", is a small village, community and post town on the Isle of Anglesey in Wales. The Royal Mail postcode is LL71, and it has a population of 1,360. Over 60% is Welsh speaking.
railway station was situated on the Anglesey Central Railway line from Gaerwen to Amlwch. There was a single platform with a small station building located on the Up (east) side of the track. Three sidings and two small goods sheds made a small goods yard, which was up on the Up side.
Amlwch station was demolished when the adjacent road was rebuilt. A nearby warehouse now houses a visitor centre with a model railway and exhibitions.
station became property of the local council, and is currently in a dilapidated condition. Other stations passed into private ownership.
In December 1904 Joseph Jenkins embarked on three months of preaching and professing in areas of North Wales. Many meetings were held in Amlwch, Llangefni,
, Talysarn, Llanllyfni, Llanrwst, Denbigh, and Dinorwig, and some students at the University of Wales Bangor were converted. But perhaps the most conversions were seen in Bethesda; another leader of the revival, J. T. Job, described the meeting held in Jerusalem, Bethesda on 22 December 1904 as "a hurricane".
A dam was built across the Cefni river north of Llangefni in the late 1940s to increase the water supply available to the island. The new reservoir, Llyn Cefni, crossed the railway's trackbed, and a bridge was built to support it. A second reservoir, Llyn Alaw, was formed adjacent to the railway north of
in the 1960s, but did not interfere with the line's alignment.
The Welsh politician and church historian Sir Stephen Glynne visited the church in 1867. He said that the east window was "a very good Perpendicular one of three lights, early in the style." He described the churchyard as "secluded, and shaded by fine trees" and the tower as "rude and plain", noting that the "open bell arch" on the west side was comparable to the one at St Mary's Church,
A temporary terminus station was opened in 1864, approximately a quarter of a mile south of the current station. This station, near Glanhwfa Road, could be opened prior to the completion of bridge and cutting by which the railway travels through Llangefni. Once the portion of the line to
had passed inspection in January 1866, the permanent station was opened. Little is known of the temporary station, but it may have seen some use as a goods yard after its closure to passengers.
He was ordained as a Congregationalist minister in Flint on 4 June 1851 and served as the joint minister for the congregations in Flint and Bagillt. In 1855 he moved to minister to congregations in Wrexham and Brymbo, from there he moved to Bethesda Caernarfonshire in 1852. Following a five-year period in Bethesda he was appointed minister of the Welsh Congregationalist Chapel in Fetter Lane London in 1862 where he remained until 1881, when he returned to Anglesey as minister at
. His last appointment was to Llangollen in 1888 where he remained until his retirement in 1893.
Further construction of the line was limited by a lack of funds. Russell asked the LNWR to adopt the line in August 1865, to no avail. An Act of 1866 gave permission to raise a further £20,000, with loans of £6,600. After raising this capital, the line was opened to
in 1866, with the temporary station at Llangefni replaced by a permanent structure half a mile further on. Captain Rich, when surveying the line, noted that the curves and gradients were severe, and recommended that the line be worked at moderate speed. He also noted the lack of turntables, and the company's intention to use Fairlie engines on the line.
The following localities are included in the postal area: Aberdovey, Abergele, Amlwch, Arthog, Bala, Bangor, Barmouth, Beaumaris, Benllech, Betws-y-Coed, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Bodorgan, Brynteg, Caernarfon, Cemaes Bay, Colwyn Bay, Conwy, Corwen, Criccieth, Denbigh, Dolgellau, Dolwyddelan, Dulas, Dyffryn Ardudwy, Fairbourne, Gaerwen, Garndolbenmaen, Harlech, Holyhead, Llanbedr, Llanbedrgoch, Llandudno, Llandudno Junction,
, Llanfairfechan, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Llangefni, Llangollen, Llanrwst, Llwyngwril, Marianglas, Menai Bridge, Moelfre, Penmaenmawr, Penrhyndeudraeth, Pentraeth, Penysarn, Porthmadog, Prestatyn, Pwllheli, Rhosgoch, Rhosneigr, Rhyl, Ruthin, St Asaph, Talsarnau, Talybont, Towyn, Trefriw, Ty Croes, Tyn-y-Gongl, Tywyn, Wrexham and Y Felinheli in Wales.
Tourism Partnership North Wales's 2003 report was supportive of the possibility of implementing both a heritage railway and cycle route side by side. Anglesey County Council was considering both options again according to a 2005 report. The Managing Director of Anglesey County Council wrote a letter of support in principle to Anglesey Central Railway (2006) Ltd in January 2006, however councillors voted in favour of a "cycle, walking and bridle path route" in March 2007, contributing £5,000 toward a feasibility study days before ACR(2006) Ltd were told that the lease of the railway from Network Rail had been approved. The Council voted in favour of a cycle route motion in October 2007, and Network Rail informed ACR(2006) Ltd that the lease was on hold due to the council's reversal of policy. The motion's proposer stated that "high-level negotiations" were taking place between Network Rail and cycle route advocates. A potential compromise was identified as using the Amlwch-
portion as a cycle route, and the
-Gaerwen portion as a railway. The General Secretary of ACR(2006) Ltd noted in early 2008 that until a lease is agreed, ACR(2006) Ltd cannot conduct any work on the line. Network Rail's business plans from 2005 to 2007 made reference to proposals for the sale or lease of the line, but the 2008 business plan made no such reference, simply showing the line as non-operational.
A short passing loop was built at Llangefni station in 1877 for engines to run round, but at only long it was not of much use for allowing passenger trains to pass each other. A refuge siding was built for freight trains at
in 1878, along with an engine shed in Amlwch. In 1882, new station buildings replaced the basic wooden sheds at Holland Arms, Llangwyllog and Rhosgoch, as well as development of the junction at Gaerwen into a full double junction, and a second signal cabin built there. An extended Amlwch station received a canopy by 1884. The staff and ticket system was supplemented with block working in 1886, and was replaced with the electric staff system in 1894.
In the early morning of 29 November 1877, heavy rain caused the dam of the Rhodgeidio mill near
to breach, and the surge of water washed away the wooden Caemawr bridge over the Afon Alaw. The first train of the day was driven by William Taylor, with fireman John Saunders and railway inspector John Davies also on the footplate. The train also included two coal trucks, a passenger coach, and a guard's van, with Edward Hughes serving as the guard. The whole train went over the side of the bridge into the river. Edward Hughes dragged himself out, and was taken to the nearest farm. John Davies was scalded to death, and Taylor and Saunders were found injured, and could not be freed until mid-day. John Saunders later died from his injuries.
According to legend, he and Saint Cybi were good friends, and would meet weekly near
, at the Clorach wells. Saint Cybi would walk from Holyhead, facing the rising sun in the morning and setting sun in the evening. Saint Cybi was known as "Cybi Felyn" ("Cybi the Tanned"), as he was tanned during his journey. Seiriol, travelling in the opposite direction, from Penmon, would have his back to the sun. Thus, he was known as "Seiriol Wyn" ("Seiriol the Fair"). Rhyd-y-Saint railway station ("English: Ford of the Saints railway station") on the Red Wharf Bay branch line near Pentraeth, was named so as Seiriol and Cybi are said to have met there.
The July 1924 timetable showed eight passenger trains each way between Amlwch and Gaerwen, with the Red Wharf Bay railmotor operating to Llangefni three times a day. The extra Thursday service to Llangefni for the market was still included. By the summer of 1929, there were eight trains from Gaerwen to Amlwch, and seven in the other direction. One train to and from Amlwch no longer ran Thursdays, replaced with a second two return trip to Llangefni, operated by the railmotor. The loop at Llangwyllog now saw three pairs of passenger trains passing on weekdays, while the daily freight train would be shunted into sidings at Llangefni and
to make way. Motor train services were back up to 24 single trips a day, including the Red Wharf Bay services.
These Precambrian rocks are schists and phyllites, often much contorted and disturbed. The general line of strike of the formations in the island is from north-east to south-west. A belt of granitic rocks lies immediately north-west of the central Precambrian mass, reaching from Llanfaelog near the coast to the vicinity of
. Between this granite and the Precambrian of Holyhead is a narrow tract of Ordovician slates and grits with Llandovery beds in places; this tract spreads out in the north of the island between Dulas Bay and Carmel Point. A small patch of Ordovician strata lies on the northern side of Beaumaris. In parts, these Ordovician rocks are much folded, crushed and metamorphosed, and they are associated with schists and altered volcanic rocks which are probably Precambrian. Between the eastern and central Precambrian masses Carboniferous rocks are found. The Carboniferous Limestone occupies a broad area south of Lligwy Bay and Pentraeth, and sends a narrow spur in a south-westerly direction by Llangefni to Malltraeth Sands. The limestone is underlain on the north-west by a red basement conglomerate and yellow sandstone (sometimes considered to be of Old Red Sandstone age). Limestone occurs again on the north coast around Llanfihangel and Llangoed; and in the south-west round Llanidan near the Menai Strait. Puffin Island is made of carboniferous limestone. Malltraeth marsh is occupied by Coal Measures, and a small patch of the same formation appears near Tal-y-foel Ferry on the Menai Strait. A patch of rhyolitic/felsitic rocks form Parys Mountain, where copper and iron ochre have been worked. Serpentine (Mona Marble) is found near Llanfair-yn-Neubwll and upon the opposite shore in Holyhead.
Copyright © 2017