Synonyms for majolica or Related words with majolica
Examples of "majolica"
type of earthenware made in Urbino, Italy. Urbino has long been a key city in the making of
is important in the collection of the Duca di Martina. It is on display in the basement of the museum and includes Renaissance
from Deruta, Gubbio, Faenza and Palermo, and 17th century
from Castelli, in Abruzzo.
, anglicizing the Italian "maiolica", (tin-glazed coloured with enamels). "Exhibition Catalogue entry "Tiles, Terra Cotta, and Vases, etc, in imitation of
Ware" 74. Variety of flowerpots and stands, coloured in the
The word, "
", is also used for Victorian
, a hard-wearing type of pottery where coloured lead glazes are applied direct to the 'biscuit'.
artist Gerda Conitz was born in Studsin, 1901
Many potteries responded to the popularity of
Goldscheider Manufactory and
Factory () is an Austrian ceramic manufactory.
was originated by Mintons, who exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851. The Exhibition Catalogue does not use the name 'Palissy ware' that was used in the Minton factory, but does use the name '
Because of their identical names, there has been some confusion between tin-glazed
/maiolica and the lead-glazed
made in England and America in the 19th century, but they are different in origin, technique, style and history. In the late 18th century, old Italian maiolica became popular among the British, who referred to it by the anglicized pronunciation "
". The Minton pottery copied it and applied the term "
ware" to their product. At the Great Exhibition of 1851, Minton launched the colorful lead-glazed earthenware which they called "Palissy ware" soon also to become known as "
". So now we have two distinct products with the same name. "In the 1870s, the curators of the South Kensington Museum returned to the original Italian 'maiolica' with an 'i' to describe all Italian tin-glazed earthenware, doubtless to stress the Italian pronunciation and to avoid confusion with contemporary
Wedgwood began to manufacture
about ten years after Mintons. Wedgwood's glazes and modelling were denser and more formal than Minton's, but there were many pieces that displayed the naturalism and humour of Minton shapes. Wedgwood's
included cachepots, jugs, candlesticks, cheese bells, umbrella stands, sardine boxes, plates in naturalistic patterns, bread trays, etc. In Wedgwood's "greenware" the green glaze emphasizes the low relief patterning, typically of basketwork and foliage. Numerous smaller factories in the Staffordshire Potteries specialised in such green
wares in which the translucent glaze brought out the low relief of the cast body: some, like Wedgwood, marked their
with impressed stamps.
The church has a tall belltower, topped by a small dome decorated with
includes two types of earthenware made in 19th century between 1848 and 1900
Several American firms also made
, with the English born Edwin Bennett producing it in Baltimore as early as the 1850s. The best known are Griffin, Smith and Hill of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, whose Etruscan
made from 1880 to 1890 includes compotes with dolphin supports and flower, shell, or jewel cups, a design of coral weed and seashells, and tableware with leaves and ferns. Their mark was an impressed monogram, "G.S.H.," sometimes circled and with the words "Etruscan
Caution needed with definitions of '
'. When Leon Arnoux in 1852 said “We understand by
…” he was describing the rare tin-glazed product, imitation Italian maiolica. His description is often referenced, in error, by authors and dictionaries alike, as a definition for Minton's other product 'Palissy ware', coloured lead glazes applied direct to the 'biscuit' later known "also" as '
', copied and mass-produced world wide.
By 1878 the Railway Pottery was making a range of
jugs, bread trays, oyster plates, etc.
The area remained occupied until at least the 16th century, as evidenced by the various fragments of archaic
The "musée des Arts Décoratifs" holds works in many different fields : furniture,
, drawings, jewelry, painting, sculpture etc.
techniques at the Instituto della Ceramica in Faenza. He then taught at the School of Applied Arts in Castellamonte. In 1927 he became the technical ceramist in the
factory of the Dutch Jonkvrouw Sophie van der Does de Willebois in Vietri sul Mare, and in 1928 he became director of the Ceramica Icaro in Rhodes.
was stamped with a fleur de lys in a shield. Other marks are a diamond and the word "Fielding". On 19th century
, all marks are impressed, not printed, but there are some black or, occasionally, purple painters' marks. Shell feet are often found.
Despite this reminder Minton's Palissy Ware became known as "
ware"; "Palissy ware" dropped out of use and "
" stuck. In the 1880s, the curators of the South Kensington Museum (now the V&A) tried to clear up the confusion by reviving the Italian spelling "maiolica" with an 'i' instead of a 'j' for Italian tin-glaze.
Copyright © 2017