Synonyms for medoacus or Related words with medoacus
Examples of "medoacus"
During the Roman era, it was called
(Ancient Greek: "Mediochos", "Μηδειοχος") and near Padua it divided in two branches,
); the river changed its course in the early Middle Ages, and its former bed through Padua was occupied by Bacchiglione.
Initially, the town was called just Fiesso, from the Latin Flexum, meaning a curve formed by the river anciently called the "
" (currently known as Brenta).
or Mediochos (Ancient Greek Μηδείοχος) is the Latin name of two rivers (originally two distributaries of the same river) in Northern Italy:
Of the walls built during the ancient Roman era, the only traces to survive are those incorporated into the foundations of certain palazzi. The route of this wall corresponded to a meander of the river
(now the Brenta River) in which developed Padua's first urban centre.
Nevertheless, archeological remains confirm an early date for the foundation of the center of the town to between the 11th and 10th centuries BC. By the 5th c. BC, Padua, rising on the banks of the river Brenta, which in the Roman era was called "
Maior" and probably until AD 589 followed the path of the present day Bacchiglione ("Retrone"), Padua was one of the principal centers of the Veneti.
The Bacchiglione (, "Little
") is a river that flows through northern Italy. It rises in the Alps and empties about later into the Gulf of Venice on the Adriatic Sea near Chioggia. It flows through and past a number of cities, including Vicenza and Padua. It acted for many centuries as a significant waterway up to Vicenza, above which it ceases to be navigable. It was connected in the 19th century to the Adige by a canal.
The Ponte San Lorenzo was one of four Roman bridges in ancient Padua crossing the
(modern Bacchiglione). Located in the "Via San Francesco", the three-arched bridge is today for the most part framed by surrounding buildings, which have moved closer to the river over the centuries. Only its eastern arch spanning the restricted waterway was largely visible until the middle of the 20th century, when it too disappeared from view as the remaining canal was filled up to the "Riviera del Ponti Romani" street. The intact arches of the bridge still exist below street level and can be visited at fixed times by the public. Earthworks in 1773 and 1938, during which parts of the bridge were temporarily excavated, were used for archaeological investigations.
Copyright © 2017