Synonyms for minong or Related words with minong
Examples of "minong"
is a village in Washburn County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 527 at the 2010 census. The village is located within the Town of
is a town in Washburn County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 858 at the 2000 census. The Village of
is located within the town.
In 1879, the
Mining Company was reorganized to form the
Copper Company, with its headquarters also located in Detroit. The
Copper Company continued work until June 1883, when they suspended mining operations, due in part to the low price of copper. A few individuals continued mining operations for another two years or so, but by 1885 all activity had ceased.
is a name derived from the Ojibwe language, perhaps meaning "good place" or "blueberry place". A post office called
has been in operation since 1887. The village was laid out in 1888.
was a proglacial lake that formed in the Lake Superior basin during the Wisconsin glaciation around 10,000 B.P. (Before Present). This was the last glacial advance that entered Michigan and covered only part of the upper peninsula. Lake
occurred in the eastern corner of the Lake Superior basin while Lake Duluth was in the western end. The lakes became separated when the glacier reached the upper peninsula. Lake
expanded to the north as the ice retreated after 9,800 B.P. When the ice retreated from the Keweenaw Peninsula, Lake Duluth merged into Lake
is the location of Jack Link's Snack Food Company, maker of beef jerky.
In late 1874, the
Mining Company was organized in Detroit to mine the copper deposits in the area. The name "
" was taken from an Ojibwa word for "island" in general and Isle Royale in particular. This company purchased land from the North American Mineral Land Company and commenced a mining operation in 1875.
In the ten years between 1875 and 1885,
Mine produced 249 tons of copper. However, the amount of copper produced slowly dwindled, and the mine was abandoned in 1885.
In addition to their original facility in
, Wisconsin, the company also has facilities across America such as in New Glarus, Wisconsin; Alpena, South Dakota; Mankato, Minnesota; Laurens, Iowa; and Bellevue, Nebraska; and its marketing office in Minneapolis.
The lake was originally named as Jhongjun Pi or
Lake. In 1956, the lake was renamed to Zhongzheng Lake, and in August 2016, the lake was renamed to Meinong Lake.
In 1985, Brown co-wrote "Material Girl", which became one of Madonna's biggest hits and signature song. It also made Brown's music publishing company,
Publishing one of the year's top music publishers.
The opening of the Kaministikwia outlet to the east initiated the onset of the Nipigon Phase. The lower lake level ended the southern outlet through the ancestral Minnesota and Mississippi River system. The ice sheets advanced and blocked the northwestern outlet through the Clearwater and Athabasca system. There were several other low level outlets into the Lake
basin, including the Kaministikwia and the Lake Nipigon outlet. These allowed large amounts of water to flow from Lake Agassiz into Lake
. A series of ice advances and retreats between 10,500 and to 9,500 YBP blocked the Lake Nipigon outlet and the other low level outlets, creating intermittent catastrophic outbursts of water into the Lake
When re-discovered in the 19th century, the prehistoric excavations in the
Mine area were described as extending "in almost a continuous line for more than two miles, in most instances the pits being so close together as barely to permit their convenient working." A number of ancient mining artifacts were collected from the
site; primarily smooth cobbles used as hammers which were, it was said "collected by the cartload." In addition, a fragment of a wooden bowl about three feet across, a wooden shovel, and a rawhide string were also discovered at the site.
Modern copper mining on Isle Royale was begun in the 1840s and 1850s, although not at the
Mine site. This activity ceased in 1855, and for a number of years there were no permanent inhabitants on the island. In 1871, a group of explorers working for the North American Mineral Land Company arrived on the island. In the fall of that year, the explorers found the old Native American pit mines west of McCargoe Cove. In 1872, a group of prospectors returned and staked out the
Most of the copper mining was still done in open pit mining, but two shafts, one over 300 feet, were also sunk at the mine. In 1875, more than 50 people were working at the
Mine and living in the nearby settlement of Cove, at the end of McCargoe Cove. Later, at the height of the
operation, some 150 miners were employed at the mine. A railroad ran between the mine proper and Cove, and the mining settlement had a post office, a dam, a stamp mill (built in 1876), a dock, and a blacksmith's shop.
Mine is a mine site located west of McCargoe Cove campground on Isle Royale National Park, Michigan, United States containing both the remnants of a 19th-century copper mine and remains of prehistoric mining activity. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Fernando woke up. Rosella is hoping that he would recognize her, because she was the one who saved him but instead Kapitan
(Tonton Gutierrez) introduced Collette (Angelu de Leon) as his savior because she was the one who brought him to the health center.
The area around
Mine sports small prehistoric pits, as well as the larger pits (now filled with water) and shafts from the 1870s mine. Piles of tailings, the wreckage of a smithy, railroad tracks, and ore carts also are at the site. As of 1994, the dam near McCargoe Cove was still intact.
The first people came to the Lake Superior region 10,000 years ago after the retreat of the glaciers in the last Ice Age. They are known as the Plano, and they used stone-tipped spears to hunt caribou on the northwestern side of Lake
Captain John F. Johns was originally a miner; he came to Isle Royale to work the Windigo Mine, and later the
Mine (in 1881-1883). When the Windigo failed, Johns turned to fishing to make a living, homesteading on some of the islands of Washington Harbor, including both Johns Island and Barnum Island where the hotel is now located.
Copyright © 2017