Synonyms for moislains or Related words with moislains

cagnicourt              hargicourt              beaucourt              pargny              millencourt              herlies              tahure              filain              maisnil              gamaches              croisilles              busigny              martinsart              proyart              dieuze              marquaix              vermandovillers              saillisel              longavesnes              champaubert              drincham              eaucourt              beaumetz              chuignes              nampty              rambervillers              barastre              hendecourt              vauxaillon              reclinghem              cagny              colincamps              vitasse              wancourt              aveluy              ytres              ablaincourt              samogneux              chavignon              daours              englebelmer              holnon              graincourt              tilloy              moyenneville              bourghelles              boursies              esquelbecq              vraignes              mertzwiller             

Examples of "moislains"
Ferdinand Carré, engineer, was born at Moislains in 1824.
Moislains is a commune in the Somme department in Hauts-de-France in northern France.
Moislains is situated on the D184 and D43 crossroads, some northwest of Saint Quentin.
Ferdinand Philippe Edouard Carré (11 March 1824 – 11 January 1900) was a French engineer, born at Moislains (Somme) on 11 March 1824. Carré is best known as the inventor of refrigeration equipment used to produce ice. He died on 11 January 1900 at Pommeuse (Seine-et-Marne).
He was awarded the Military Cross (MC) on four occasions, for his actions as an intelligence officer between September 1917 and September 1918, on reconnaissance missions ahead of the British lines. He was awarded his first MC in September 1917. He was wounded in early 1918, and awarded a first Bar in March 1918, a second Bar in June 1918, and a third Bar in January 1919 for actions at Moislains on 2 September 1918. Two other officers received their third Bar in the same January 1919 edition of the London Gazette, Percy Bentley and Charles Gordon Timms, emulating Francis Victor Wallington whose third Bar was gazetted on 13 September 1918.
The German defenders had repulsed the attack at the Triangle and when eventually captured, troops on the flanks were needed to reinforce the attackers, who had incurred many losses. British arrangements for holding captured ground worked well and a German battalion preparing to counter-attack from a wood near Moislains, was dispersed by the machine-gun barrage with German troops overrun by the attack were captured or killed, by mopping-up parties following the advanced troops. During the day, the Germans nearby counter-attacked five times over open ground but the observation obtained from Trench, led to them being easily seen and repulsed by small-arms fire. German attempts to bomb their way back up communication trenches were also defeated. German artillery-fire on the captured area, the former no man's land and around Bouchavesnes caused considerably more casualties, when two communications trenches were being dug to link the new positions with the old British front line.
The Fourth Army attacked again in the Battle of Morval from and captured Morval, Gueudecourt and Lesbœufs, which had been the final objectives of the Battle of Flers–Courcelette. The main British attack had been postponed to combine with attacks by the Sixth Army on the village of Combles south of Morval, to close up to the German defences between Moislains and Le Transloy, near the Péronne–Bapaume road (N 17). The combined attack from the Somme river northwards to Martinpuich, was also intended to deprive the German defenders further west near Thiepval of reinforcements, before an attack by the Reserve Army. The postponement was extended from because of rain, which affected operations more frequently during September. The Reserve Army began the Battle of Thiepval Ridge on 26 September.
The Battle of Morval, 25–28 September 1916, was an attack during the Battle of the Somme by the British Fourth Army on the villages of Morval, Gueudecourt and Lesbœufs held by the German 1st Army, which had been the final objectives of the Battle of Flers–Courcelette (15–22 September). The main British attack was postponed, to combine with attacks by the French Sixth Army on the village of Combles south of Morval, to close up to the German defences between Moislains and Le Transloy, near the Péronne–Bapaume road (N 17). The combined attack from the Somme river northwards to Martinpuich on the Albert–Bapaume road, was also intended to deprive the German defenders further west near Thiepval of reinforcements, before an attack by the Reserve Army, due on 26 September. The postponement was extended from because of rain, which affected operations more frequently during September.
Foch intended to resume the French attack from Mont St. Quentin, east of the Somme bend to Combles, at the boundary with the British Fourth Army. The Sixth Army was to advance , close to the German line running from Moislains to Le Transloy. In the south, VI and XXXIII corps would advance east and south-east, to establish a defensive flank along the Tortille stream, menacing Péronne from the north. V and VI corps would capture the south of St. Pierre Vaast wood and southern Saillisel, while I and XXXII corps advanced east to take Rancourt, the rest of Saillisel and Bois St. Pierre Vaast (St. Pierre Vaast Wood), Frégicourt and Sailly-Saillisel. Distant objectives east of the Péronne–Bapaume road were selected, should the German defence collapse and the cavalry was made ready to prolong an advance.
The new tactic of holding the front line with the minimum of men increased the burden on German artillery, which had to commence firing as soon as the French or British attacked but the extent of Allied artillery-fire forced the gunners to rely on flares from the front line instead of telephones. A field-gun regiment at the Nurlu–Péronne-Moislains–Templeux-la-Fosse crossroads covered the defences of St Pierre Vaast wood, away, from open positions vulnerable to French shelling. The distance from the wood was too great for observed fire and when shooting from the map, shell dispersion made for a large beaten zone, which was impossible to correct and guaranteed that some shells fell short onto German positions, regardless of careful fire control and gun laying. Steel was being used instead of brass for shell cases which caused stoppages but the still managed to fire per day.
Careful planning for the combined attack at Morval was necessary, due to the French Sixth Army advance diverging east and north-east. The new attack northwards to keep touch with the British, needed reinforcements of troops and artillery, which were taken from the Tenth Army further south. Artillery and aircraft were brought from Verdun and XXXII Corps took over on the right of I Corps. The Sixth Army was to advance close to the line Moislains–Le Transloy. Foch intervened on 25 September to ensure that I and XXXII Corps attacked north to Sailly-Saillisel, with V Corps as right flank guard. The big attacks on the afternoons of September took little ground in the face of very heavy German artillery fire. Fayolle concluded that an extensive artillery preparation would be needed before resuming the attack.
Joffre had little choice but to deploy reserve divisions in the front line. Ebener’s Sixth Group, consisting of 61st and 62nd Infantry Divisions, both reserve formations, which had made up the Paris Garrison before being railed to Arras, were ordered to march south to block the German advance on Bapaume and Peronne (the future Somme battlefield of 1916). Marching down from Cambrai to link up with Maunoury’s forces, they brushed aside a German cavalry screen and entered Bapaume, then on 28 August as the fog lifted they were ambushed by Linsingen’s II Corps at Moislains north of Peronne (and near Sailly-Saillisel, which was to be the scene of French operations on the Somme in 1916). 62nd Division retreated north back to Arras, 61st retreated to Amiens. Further south Peronne fell.
On 1 April 1918, the Army's Royal Flying Corps (RFC) and the Royal Naval Air Service were merged to form the Royal Air Force. Turner, now serving in No. 57 Squadron marked the occasion by shooting down three Fokker Dr.I fighters over Irles, with Second Lieutenant A. Leach as his observer, taking his total to five and making him an ace. On 28 July he shared with the crews of two other aircraft in the driving down of a Fokker D.VII fighter over Vaulx-Vraucourt, with Sergeant S. G. Sowden as his observer, and on 8 August he and observer Second Lieutenant H. S. Musgrove destroyed another D.VII over Moislains Airfield, to bring his total to seven.
The "Épine de Malassise" (Malassise Spine), a hog's-back (a long narrow-rested ridge with slopes of nearly equal steepness) overlooks Bouchavesnes and the Moislains valley towards Nurlu. The objective of the attack was to capture the north end of the spine to deny the Germans observation of the valley behind Bouchavesnes and the view towards Rancourt. Two trenches on a front of were to be captured to the east and north-east of the village, which would also threaten the German positions north of Péronne, potentially hastening any German withdrawal on the Somme front. The 25th Brigade on the right was to attack with one battalion on a front and the 24th Brigade on the left was to attack with two battalions over a front, with mopping-up parties and carriers provided by other battalions. No destructive bombardment on the objectives was fired, as it was intended to occupy them but wire-cutting and the bombardment of strong-points, trench junctions and machine-gun nests took place for several days before the attack. Machine-gun barrages to be fired over the heads of the attacking troops and on the flanks were arranged, with the divisional machine-gun unit and that of the 40th Division.
Fayolle planned attacks to capture Sailly-Saillisel to the north-west of St. Pierre Vaast wood, to be followed by outflanking attacks to the north and south, avoiding a frontal attack. Fayolle expected to be ready to attack Sailly-Saillisel by but if an attack towards Rocquigny could begin earlier, the Fourth Army was to attack to cover the French left flank. Sailly-Saillisel was along the Péronne–Bapaume road and Saillisel lay at right-angles on the east side, along the Moislains–St. Pierre Vaast road and overlooked a shallow valley to the north towards Le Transloy. The difficulties of movement in the rear, wet weather in October and the terrain, channelled the attacks of the Sixth Army into a gap between St. Pierre Vaast Wood and the Fourth Army boundary. At the end of September, the Sixth Army took over the Fourth Army front at Morval, which widened the attack front to about . The French XXXII Corps, which held the front from Rancourt to Frégicourt, was to attack the Saillisels and I Corps to the left would attack eastwards from Morval, to capture Bukovina and Jata-Jezov trenches in the German fourth position in front of the Péronne–Bapaume road, capture the north end of the Saillisels and reach Rocquigny.
In the second week of October, the XXXII Corps (General H. M. Berthelot until 16 October then General M. E. Debeney) took over the right flank of I Corps and on 12 October, the corps got into Sailly-Saillisel but was forced out by German counter-attacks. On 15 October, the 66th Division exploited a crushing bombardment to capture the remainder of Bois Tripot, Château Saillisel and infiltrated between Prussian and Bavarian positions with the 152nd Infantry Regiment and the 68th Battalion Chasseurs Alpins and then spent six days in hand-to-hand fighting in the ruins. The 94th Infantry Regiment of the 66th Division held on against several German counter-attacks around the Péronne–Bapaume and Sailly-Saillisel to Moislains crossroads up to 29 October. On the right flank, the XXXII Corps Chasseurs gained a foothold in Reuss Trench but more attacks to capture the east side of Sailly-Saillisel were postponed because of bad weather until 5 November and took until 12 November to complete.