Synonyms for noughaval or Related words with noughaval
Examples of "noughaval"
The modern St. Brecan’s Church, Doora, on
townland, also bears his name.
In fact Carntemple lies in the adjacent townland of
In 1841, the population was 450 in 65 houses. The hamlet of
had 64 people in 10 houses. In 1845, the
and Carran chapels were united.
The neighbouring civil parishes are: Forgney and
(County Longford) to the north, Killare to the east, Ballyloughloe and Kilcumreragh to the south and Drumraney and
to the west.
The neighbouring civil parishes are: Shrule (County Longford) to the north,
to the north–east,
, Nohoval, Nohaval, or Oughaval () may refer to the following places in Ireland:
The parish also covers Barefield in Templemaley and part of Ennis. The church of St Breckan's is in
or Nohoval () is a civil parish in County Clare, Ireland.
civil parish comprises 41 townlands in County Westmeath and the village of Ballymahon and 10 townlands in County Longford.
() is a civil parish which spans the counties of Longford and Westmeath in Ireland. It is located about west of Mullingar and south of Longford.
Townlands are Ballyganner North, Ballyganner South, Ballymahony, Ballymurphy, Cragnarooan, Deerpark, Kiltaan, Kiltennan North, Kiltennan South, Knockavoarheen, Lismoher,
, Rusheen and Sheshymore.
The neighbouring civil parishes are:
to the north, Ballymore to the east, Ballyloughloe to the south and Kilkenny West to the west.
Drumraney to the east, Ballyloughloe and St. Mary's to the south, Bunown to the west and
to the north–west.
The parish contains the townlands of Ardsollus, Ballaghboy, Ballyglass, Ballyortla (North), Ballyortla (South), Ballyvonnavaun, Bunnow, Castlefergus, Castletown, Cloonawee, Cloonmore, Corebeg, Creggaun, Deerpark, Dooneen, Drim, Drumdoolaghty, Finanagh, Gaurus, Gortataggart, Gorteen, Kilbreckan, Kilfeilim, Killawinna, Knockanean, Knockaskibbole, Knockhogan, Monanoe, Moyriesk and
The barony contains the civil parishes of Abbey, Carran, Drumcreehy, Glaninagh, Kilcorney, Kilonahan, Kilheny, Kilmoon, Noughoval, Oughtmama, and Rathborney. It contains the villages of Abbey, Burren, Behagh, Currenroe, Ballyvaughan, Ballyconree, Ballinacraggy, Loughrusk, Gleninagh, Murroghkelly, Murroghtwohy, Fermoyle,
, Aughnish and Finavara.
Best's suggestion is corroborated by evidence from Dublin, Royal Irish Academy MS B. iv. 2, also of the early 17th century. As Rudolf Thurneysen noted, the scribe copied several texts from the Book of Leinster, identifying his source as the "Leabhar na h-Uachongbála", presumably for "Leabhar na Nuachongbála" ("Book of
"). Third, in the 14th century, the Book of Leinster was located at Stradbally (Co. Laois), the place of a monastery known originally as "Nuachongbáil" "of the new settlement" (
) and later as Oughaval.
An 1842 map notes that the church was in ruins and shows it in the northern part of
townland, about from the main road running through the townland, now the L-4114 local road. The map shows a burial ground for children beside the ruined church.
County Westmeath: Aghafin, Aghanapisha, Ardnacrany North, Ardnacrany South, Ballynalone, Bawn, Brackagh, Cannorstown (Chapman), Cannorstown (Hogan), Carrick, Cartron, Cartroncroy, Cloghannagarragh, Clogher, Clonkeen, Coolaleena, Coolvin, Corbrack, Corlis, Creggan, Creggy, Doonamona, Doonis, Gortmore, Inchbofin, Inchturk, Kilcornan, Kippin, Lecade, Lisdossan, Lissaquill, Lissoy, Maghera, Muckanagh, Nicholastown,
, Rath Lower, Rath Upper, Ross, Streamstown and Tonlegee.
Westropp describes the ruin briefly in 1900: "20 by 10 feet. The very ancient and massive foundations of an oratory (some of the stones over 6 feet long) in the townland of
, and called Carntemple. It marks the site of Kilbrecan, one of the first mission churches of Thomond. Founder, Brecan, c. A.D. 480. “Kellbrakyn,” 1302, being then a separate parish."
More construction took place in the 1850s: in 1854 the old National School opened and the present Roman Catholic church was built around 1860. There was also a Church of Ireland, but when this later closed it was dismantled and re-erected at
. In 1943, it was rededicated and it is now in use as a Catholic place of worship (St. Mochua) there.
Copyright © 2017