Synonyms for novogeorgievsk or Related words with novogeorgievsk
Examples of "novogeorgievsk"
was a city in Ukraine that since 1961 was flooded by the "Kremenchuk water reservoir".
, the Germans transferred General Hans Beseler who had successfully laid siege to the Belgian city of Antwerp early in the war. In a stroke of luck, his forces captured the chief engineer of
on the first day. The Siege of
lasted only a matter of days. When it fell, the Germans captured 1,600 guns and close to a million shells.
He was born in
. He studied first at Saint Petersburg Conservatory, then at Vienna Conservatory from 1905 to 1909.
The problem of the retreat was the abandonment of the fortresses especially
was seen as the “symbol of Russian rule in Poland.” It would also mean the abandonment of Poland, which would compromise their ability to negotiate for more territory if the Allies won.
In the spring of 1915, Beseler was sent to the Eastern Front with Max von Gallwitz's 9th Army where he led the successful siege of
The Siege of
was a battle of World War I fought after the Germans broke the Russian defenses at the Gorlice–Tarnów Offensive and approached Warsaw.
The obsolescent fortresses of
, Ivangorod, Grodno, Osowiec, and Dvinsk, that were on or near the front lines at the time, contained considerable artillery, including some modern types. It was hoped that these could compensate for the temporary weakness of the infantry and render the Ivangorod-Lublin-Chełm line defensible.
The division took part in the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78, during which it participated in the battles of Łowicz and Plevna. During 1902 and 1903, Anton Denikin served as an adjutant with the division's staff. Anatoly Stessel briefly commanded the division between May and August 1903. From at least 1903 to 1913 it was based in Brest-Litovsk and later in
On 20 August 1915, the
Fortress fell to the invading Germans. Vakulovsky departed the siege in a hazardous low level flight through ground fire and foul foggy weather. After five hours flying, he reached friendly forces with news of the fortress' fall, and with the battle standards of the fort. The feat earned the gallant pilot the Order of Saint George Fourth Class.
Mikhail Alekseyev, the commander of the Polish sector, knew that to garrison the forts was a trap and the impregnability was an illusion. However, he was swayed by men of a higher social standing and left a garrison to defend
. The troops that he was able to spare were the remnants of the II. Siberian division, the 63rd division, and 58th division.
Modlin Fortress (Polish "Twierdza Modlin") is one of the biggest 19th century fortresses in Poland. It is located in the town of Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki in district Modlin on the Narew river, some 50 kilometres north of Warsaw. It was renamed
("Новогеоргиевская крепость") after it was captured by the Russians in 1813.
The Russians decided to defend the fortress of Novgeorgievsk (now Modlin Fortress) in Poland at the confluence of the Narew and the Vistula. It was garrisoned with 90,000 men when they evacuated Warsaw on 5 August. The German army led by General Hans Hartwig von Beseler approached
with 80,000 men including part of the powerful siege train used to capture Antwerp in 1914, six 16 inch (400mm) and nine 12 inch (300mm) howitzers.
was surrounded on 10 August and the bombardment began few days later and was concentrated on the north-eastern portion of the defenses, lying north of the Vistula River. The German assault was helped after the capture of the fort's Chief Inspector with detailed plans of the fort's defences. After a heavy battering the Germans attacked 3 of the forts with 22 infantry battalions and captured two of them. The Russians were forced to the inner defenses north of the Vistula.
In 1860 the city was renamed into
and included into the Kiev Governorate. In 1894 the city accounted for 1634 courts (12653 residents) and 350 desiatinas of land. There were three Russian Orthodox churches, a synagogue, a church school, two middle schools, a hospital, eleven factories and other. During the World War I the city housed the "Crimean Cavalry Regiment" and the "Eighth Reserve Cavalry Regiment" of the Russian Army.
After the November Uprising of 1830 the Russian rule over Congress Poland became more severe. The Modlin fortress was renamed "
" in 1834 and during the years 1832–1841 underwent a huge expansion, to host garrison troops who were tasked with preventing another Polish uprising, as well as defense of Russia's western frontiers. It was part of the chain of fortresses which included Warsaw, Ivangorod, and Brest-Litovsk. The most notable new work built was a fortified barracks building 2,200 m in length, which was to serve as the last line of defense for the fortress. After 1841 construction work largely ceased, and over the next 40 years the fortress gradually became obsolete.
Captain Konstantin Konstantinovich Vakulovsky (born 28 October 1894, died Summer 1918) was a World War I flying ace credited with six aerial victories. A major general's son, he volunteered for aviation duty on 8 August 1914, six days after graduating from university. He taught himself to fly, and became one of Russia's first military pilots on 13 June 1915. After escaping the fall of the
Fortress in a hazardous flight, Vakylovsky flew reconnaissance missions, some through heavy ground fire. Given command of the newly formed First Fighter Detachment, he became a flying ace credited with six aerial victories. He died in a flying accident during Summer 1918.
In 1894 Kalniņš joined St. Peterburg's Artillery Academy, graduating in 1900. After graduation he was sent to the Kaunas artillery base. At the Michail Artillery Academy he passed an exam for the podporuchik rank. After that he served at the
fortress. In 1904 he was sent to Kwantung. He participated in the Russo-Japanese War and served at the Port Arthur naval base. During service Kalniņš was shell-shocked, wounded several times wounded and captured. In 1906 he returned from captivity and was sent to Krepost Sveaborg (near Helsinki), where he served until 1918.
Shuisky was born November 13, 1883, in
province of Kherson (now Kirovohrad region) in Ukraine. His family soon moved to Kremenchuk, Poltava province. As a child, he sang in the family circle and appeared in the children's choir at the main Cathedral in Kremenchuk. In 1904, Shuisky graduated from the Kharkov Commercial College of Emperor Alexander III – one of the largest business schools institutions in the Russian Empire. He was a daily soloist with the choirboys for ten years at the school's Temple, which was called Holy Face of the Lord.
Konstantin Konstantinovich Vakulovsky was a major general's son, born on 28 October 1894 in Dagestan. When young, he served in the Vladikavkaz Cadet Corps. However, he was schooled in Saint Petersburg at the Military Engineering-Technical University, graduating on 2 August 1914. Beginning 8 August 1914, he served as an aerial observer with the air detachment at the
Fortress. While doing so, he enrolled in basic aviation courses and taught himself to fly. After flying 50 training flights without an instructor, he passed his graduation flight with distinction. On 13 June 1915, he was appointed a military pilot by the Supreme Commander in Chief of the Imperial Russian Army.
The city was developed and spread outward from the dam. The original point of the city was to house all of the dam workers and to be near the dam. Now most of the electricity is generated from the dam and is used in the town. The definite start of the city was the 1950s — before that, Svetlovodsk (literally - Bright Waterway) didn't exist, the name was invented by Khrushchev's regime, to replace the town of
that was in the flood plain of the new hydro-electric station. When the dam was done, the then Soviet leader Khrushchev attended the opening ceremonies, the city started to expand with all of the energy. It expanded westward along the coast and generally, the wester the city, the more recent it is. In local culture, the city is known as Old City and New City, but, of course it is still the same Svetlovodsk.
Copyright © 2017