Synonyms for omaguaca or Related words with omaguaca
Examples of "omaguaca"
) is an extinct and unclassified language of Argentina (Campbell & Grondona 2012). Tribal and possibly dialect divisions were Fiscara, Jujuy, Ocloya, Osa, Purmamarca, and Tiliar. Mason (1950) proposed that Humahuaca was related to Diaguita (Cacán) and Kunza in a group he called "Ataguitan", but modern sources leave it unclassified due to a lack of data.
Traces of human habitation in the area date back more than 10,000 years. The fortified town was originally built by the
tribe, who settled in the area around the 12th century. Experts in agriculture, weaving and pottery, they were also renowned warriors. During their time, the pucará served as an important administrative and military center.
Other extinct languages are known just by the ethnic group that spoke them, since very scarce (if any) linguistic material remains. Among them:
; Sanavirón; several languages probably belonging to the Guaycurú family but known by their Guaraní ethnonyms as Mbayá, Payaguá, Minuané, Mbeguá, Timbú, Corondá, Quiloazá and Colastiné; and others related to the Chon stock, as Manek'enk and Teushen.
His expeditions in the Argentine Northwest led Ambrosetti to the Quebrada de Humahuaca, a scenic gorge in Jujuy Province, where in 1908, he discovered the ruins of the Tilcara, an
people long since vanished. Built on a strategic site as a fort along the storied Inca road system, the Pucará de Tilcara was estimated by Ambrosetti to have been established in the 11th century. The 15-hectare (38 acre) site included a necropolis, extensive petroglyphs, and thousands of archaeological pieces. Over the following three years, he and his team, recovered and catalogued over 3,000 artifacts, many of which were added to the Museum of Ethnography. The effort earned Ambrosetti a Doctorate "honoris causa" from his alma mater in 1910, following which he left responsibility for the project to his student, Salvador Debenedetti; the Quebrada de Humahuaca, including the ruins, was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2003.
Copyright © 2017