Synonyms for qvr or Related words with qvr

disense              rhq              bty              cggaacccaagct              yrr              rqr              casf              glt              rangiriri              kosb              regt              enoggera              ygt              waiouru              kapyong              rtrans              ytt              browndown              cdiode              cnrcr              petawawa              rsr              vbel              ggr              flt              xaut              qup              rgt              rnr              cbrcr              rccrger              landguard              puckapunyal              sbct              rled              letetp              tinit              vvic              cinj              bpre              kuiti              kinloss              vbeon              aviemore              wmaxr              rtcr              ocsstart              divarty              argylls              rauxaf             



Examples of "qvr"
The QVR and the FCV fought in the Cape Frontier Wars and the 9th Frontier War (1877–1878). The QVR fought in the Morosi Campaign (1879). The FCV fought in the Basutoland Gun War (1880–1881). The QVR and the FCV later fought in the Bechuanaland campaign (1897), and in the Second Boer War (1899–1902).
The QVRs remained in France for the rest of the war. Their losses are remembered at Hill 60 by the QVR memorial and at the nearby QVR café and museum.
Other infantry units in Brisbane included the Brisbane Volunteer Rifle Corps (including various volunteer companies from 1885, becoming the Queensland Volunteer Rifles (QVR) in 1891); the Queensland Scottish Volunteer Corps (in 1885-86 three companies were formed in Brisbane and two survived to be incorporated into the QVR in 1896); and the Queensland Irish Volunteer Corps (two companies formed in 1887, absorbed into the QVR in 1896).
QV operates under the QVV, QVR, Darroch and QV Online brands in New Zealand, and uses the Egan and QVA brands in Australia.
On 1 July 1913, the QVR amalgamated with the FCV and was incorporated into the Citizen Force of the new Union Defence Force as the "4th Infantry (First Eastern Rifles)". It served in German South-West Africa 1914–1915.
The regiment was formed from the First City Volunteers (FCV) of Grahamstown that were formed in 1875 in Grahamstown and the Queenstown Rifle Volunteers (QVR) that were formed in 1860 (Re-raised 1883) in Queenstown and these regiments were formed due to the unrest on the then frontier.
Late on 21st May, the QVR were ordered to proceed by train to Dover to embark for France. All the motor-cycle combinations and other vehicles were to be left behind. After a confused move it was realised that there had been a staff error and that there was room for the motor-cycle combinations aboard the SS "City of Canterbury", but they did not arrive before the ship sailed. Lieutenant-Colonel Keller received orders on the night of at Fordingbridge to move the 3rd RTR to Southampton but during the journey the personnel train was diverted to Dover, while the vehicles continued to Southampton as planned. Keller was briefed at Dover to go to Calais and given sealed orders for the British port commander. The ships carrying the personnel of the 3rd RTR and the QVR departed Dover at They arrived at Calais around under a pall of smoke from buildings on fire in the town. The QVR landed without their motorcycles, transport or 3-inch mortars and only smoke bombs for the 2-inch mortars. Many of the men were armed only with revolvers and had to scavenge for rifles from those dumped on the quay by personnel hastily departing for England. The 229th Anti-Tank Battery RA also arrived but in the haste to move, four of the twelve anti-tank guns had to be left behind.
The Queen Victoria's Rifles (QVR) had arrived in Le Havre on 5 November 1914 and were one of the first Territorial battalions to serve in France; they were attached to the 5th Division. On 17 April 1915, an attack was mounted on Hill 60 by the 13th Infantry Brigade which included the 2nd King’s Own Scottish Borderers, the 2nd Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment, the 1st Queen’s Own Royal West Kent Regiment, the 2nd King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and the Queen Victoria's Rifles (9th London Regiment). Prior to the attack, the hill had been undermined with five galleries being driven under the German positions. The plan was to detonate the mines under the hill to destroy the enemy and their positions, after which the 13th Infantry Brigade would occupy the area. Hill 60 was captured on 17 April 1915 and on 20 April, two and a half companies of the QVRs were ordered up to the front line as the enemy made a counter-attack. At dawn on 21 April 1915, the Germans began bombarding the QVRs with hand grenades. Casualties were heavy, including two officers, Major Lees and Lieutenant Summerhays, who were killed. It was then that Woolley left a position of safety to take command of the soldiers on Hill 60. The QVRs remained in France for the rest of the war and their losses are remembered at Hill 60 by the QVR memorial and at the nearby QVR café and museum.
By 20 May, the AA units at Calais, including 1st and 2nd S/L Btys, were deployed in a semi-circle from Fort Risban and Fort Vert west of the town, round to the east side where there was a screen of S/L detachments one mile apart. Lt-Col Goldney was appointed AA Defence Commander for the town. The 1st Bn Queen Victoria's Rifles (QVR), the lead unit of 30th Infantry Brigade, arrived by sea on 22 May, just before advanced German troops began probing the defences.
When the Volunteers were subsumed into the new Territorial Force under the Haldane Reforms of 1908, the Middlesex RVCs were transferred to the new all-Territorial London Regiment. The 19th (GGB) Middlesex RVC was merged into the 1st (Queen Victoria's Rifles) Middlesex RVC to form the 9th Bn London Regiment (QVR), which continued to use the QVRs' HQ at Davies Street. The 12th Bn London Regiment (The Rangers) (formerly the 22nd Middlesex RVC (Central London Rangers)) took over the Bloomsbury Rifles' Drill Hall in Chenies Street on 25 June 1908, and it remained in use until 1960.
At the French coastal guns opened fire and German artillery and mortar fire began falling on the port at dawn, particularly on French gun positions, preparatory to an attack by the 10th Panzer Division against the west and south-west parts of the perimeter. The retirement of the QVR, searchlight and anti-aircraft troops from the outlying roadblocks had continued overnight until about when the troops completed their withdrawal to the "enceinte". Further west, B Company of the QVR was ordered back from Sangatte, about west of Calais at and had retired slowly to the western face of the "enceinte" by and a C Company platoon out on a road east of Calais, also stayed out until but before midday, the main defensive line had been established on the "enceinte". The first German attacks were repulsed except in the south, where the attackers penetrated the defences until forced back by a hasty counter-attack by the 2nd KRRC and tanks of the 3rd RTR. The German bombardment was extended to the harbour, where there was a hospital train full of wounded waiting to be evacuated. The harbour control staff ordered the wounded to be put aboard the ships, which were still being unloaded of equipment for the infantry battalions and rear echelon of the tank regiment. The dock workers and rear-area troops were also embarked and the ships returned to England, with some of the equipment still on board.
By 24 May the town was completely cut off, and 2nd Lieutenant William Dothie, commanding a Troop of six S/L detachments east of the town, found himself out of communication with his Battery HQ. His THQ, including a number of stragglers from other units, came under attack by German tanks and aircraft in the evening and he fell back to a small farm in a nearby wood. The following morning, Dothie led an attack on the tanks in their camp, engaging them with Boys and Bren fire. Although the tanks withdrew, Dothie guessed that they would bring up reinforcements and he ordered his men to withdraw, covering their crossing of some open ground with a Bren gun. However, he and the QVR Bren gunner found themselves cut off on the wrong side of the open ground and could not get back to the rendezvous until after dark, by which time the rest of the party had made their way to Calais.
At the outbreak of World War II (1939–45), 1/QVR was serving as part of the 1st London Division and was designated a motor-cycle reconnaissance battalion, armed with revolvers instead of rifles. In May 1940, the battalion was transferred to the 30th Infantry Brigade, and was hurriedly sent across the English Channel, but, due to an error, their motor cycles and sidecars were left in England. They fought in the desperate siege of Calais between 23 and 26 May, which bought valuable time for the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) to be evacuated from Dunkirk. Suffering very heavy losses, most of the battalion were either killed or captured and the battalion had to be reconstituted from scratch.
In 2006, Sebag-Montefiore wrote that the defence of the advanced posts outside Calais, by inexperienced British troops against larger numbers of German troops, may have deterred the 1st Panzer Division commanders from probing the Calais defences further and capturing it without delay. In the early afternoon of 23 May, it was unlikely that the British troops on the Calais "enceinte" were prepared for an attack, the 2nd KRRC and 1st RB having disembarked only an hour earlier at The unloading of the 2nd KRRC vehicles was delayed until and half of the battalion did not arrive at its positions until An attack on Calais in the early afternoon would only have met the QVR.
When the Germans captured Abbeville on 20 May, the War Office in Britain ordered troops to be despatched to the channel ports as a precaution. The 20th Guards Brigade was sent to Boulogne. The 3rd Royal Tank Regiment (3rd RTR, Lieutenant-Colonel R. Keller), the 1st Battalion Queen Victoria's Rifles (QVR, Lieutenant-Colonel J. A. M. Ellison-Macartney), the 229th Anti-Tank Battery RA and the new 30th Motor Brigade (Brigadier C. N. Nicholson), were ordered to Calais. Most of the units dispatched to Calais were unprepared for action in some respects. The 3rd RTR was part of the 1st Heavy Armoured Brigade (Brigadier John Crocker) and had been about to leave for Cherbourg, to join the British 1st Armoured Division, which was assembling at Pacy-sur-Eure in Normandy. The QVR were a Territorial Army motor-cycle battalion, nominally the "divisional cavalry" for the 56th (London) Division. They had briefly been attached to Nicholson's 30th Motor Brigade in April but then were returned to the 56th (London) Division in a "Home Defence" role, being deprived of their twenty-two scout cars. The 30th Motor Brigade had been formed on 24 April 1940, from the 1st Support Group, to take part in the Norwegian Campaign. After these orders were cancelled, the brigade was posted to East Anglia to meet a supposed threat of invasion. The main body of the brigade were the 1st Battalion, the Rifle Brigade (1st RB), Lieutenant Colonel Chandos Hoskyns) and the 2nd Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps (2nd KRRC, Lieutenant Colonel Euan Miller); these were both highly trained units, each about 750 strong.
In the afternoon, a German officer with a captured French officer and Belgian soldier, approached under a flag of truce to demand a surrender, which Nicholson refused. The German attack was resumed and continued until the German commander decided that the defenders could not be defeated before dark. In the old town the KRRC and more parties of the QVR fought to defend the three bridges into the Old Town from the south but at the German artillery ceased fire and tanks attacked the bridges. Three panzers attacked "Pont Faidherbe" and two were knocked out, the third tank retiring. At "Pont Richelieu", the middle bridge, the first tank drove over a mine and the attack failed but at "Pont Freycinet" near the Citadel, the attempt succeeded and the bridge was captured by tanks and infantry, who took cover in houses north of the bridge, until counter-attacked by the 2nd KRRC. Parties of French and British troops held a bastion, the French in the Citadel lost many men repulsing the attacks and Nicholson established a joint headquarters with the French.
When Nicholson had arrived in Calais in the afternoon with the 30th Infantry Brigade, he had discovered that the 3rd RTR had already been in action and had considerable losses, and that the Germans were closing on the port and had cut the routes to the south-east and south-west. Nicholson ordered the 1st RB to hold the outer ramparts on the east side of Calais and the 2nd KRRC to garrison the west side, behind the outposts of the QVR and the anti-aircraft units outside the town, which began a retirement to the "enceinte" from about and continued during the night. Just after Nicholson received an order from the War Office to escort a truck convoy carrying to Dunkirk to the north-east, which was to supersede any other orders. Nicholson moved some troops from the defence perimeter to guard the Dunkirk road, while the convoy assembled but the 10th Panzer Division arrived from the south and began to bombard Calais from the high ground.
During the night, Vice-Admiral James Somerville crossed from England and met Nicholson, who said that with more guns he could hold on for a while longer and they agreed that the ships in the port should return. At dawn on 25 May, the German bombardment resumed, concentrating on the old town, where buildings fell into streets, high winds fanned fires everywhere and smoke from explosions and the fires blocked the view. The last guns of the 229th Anti-Tank Battery were knocked out and only three tanks of the 3rd RTR remained operational. Distribution of rations and ammunition was difficult and after the water mains were broken, water could only be taken from derelict wells. At Schaal sent the mayor, André Gerschell, to ask Nicholson to surrender but Gerschell was sent back with a refusal. At noon, Schaal offered another opportunity to surrender and extended the deadline to when he found that his emissaries had been delayed, only to be refused again. The German bombardment increased during the day, despite attempts by Allied ships to bombard German gun emplacements. In the east, the 1st Rifle Brigade and parties of the QVR on the outer ramparts and the Marck and Calais canals repulsed a determined attack. The French then eavesdropped on a German wireless message, which disclosed that the Germans were going to attack the perimeter on the west side, held by the 2nd KRRC.
At Nicholson ordered a counter-attack and eleven Bren carriers and two tanks with the 1st RB were withdrawn and assembled for a sortie. The attackers were to depart from the "enceinte" north of the "Bassin des Chasses de l'Ouest" and rush round to the south to get behind the Germans. Hoskyns, the 1st RB commander objected, since the plan required the withdrawal of tanks and men from where the Germans were close to breaking through. Hoskyns was over-ruled and it took too long to contact Nicholson, because telephone and radio communication had been lost. The attack went ahead but the carriers bogged in the sand and the attempt failed. At about the units holding the Canal de Marck were overwhelmed and Hoskyns was mortally wounded by a mortar bomb. Major A. W. Allan, the second-in-command of 1st RB, took over the battalion which then made a fighting withdrawal northwards through the streets, to the Bassin des Chasses, the "Gare Maritime" and the quays. In the south-east corner of 1st RB positions near the "Quai de la Loire", a rearguard was surrounded and a counter-attack to extricate them was repulsed. Some of the rearguard broke out in a van driven by a fifth-columnist at gunpoint but he stopped before reaching safety and few of the wounded reached cover. Only of the the area escaped. However, the units of the RB and QVR withdrawing from the northern part of the "enceinte" gained a respite when German artillery mistakenly shelled their own troops (II Battalion, Rifle Regiment 69) who were forming up in a small wood to the east of Bastion No. 2.