Synonyms for rosclogher or Related words with rosclogher
Examples of "rosclogher"
barony takes its name from the townland of
(, "stony wooded height"), which gives its name to
() is a barony in County Leitrim, Republic of Ireland.
Below is a list of settlements in
The O'Murroughs, or O'Murreys, were chiefs in the barony of
. Their territory was the Hy Murragh. The Mac Murry or Mac Morrow were chiefs in Loghmoyltagh. The MacClancy's were chiefs of Dartraighe (Dartry) in the barony of
. Uí Miadhachain (O'Meehan) is found here at the time of the Norman invasion of Ireland.
is found in north County Leitrim, reaching from its 3 km (2 mi) of Atlantic coastline (the least coastline of any coastal county), past Lough Melvin, east of the Kilcoo River, up to Saddle Hill.
barony is bordered to the south by Drumahaire, County Leitrim; to the north by Tirhugh, County Donegal; to the east by Magheraboy and Clanawley, County Fermanagh; and to the west by Carbury, County Sligo.
Nearby to Largydonnell Post Office at the hump-backed bridge, on a road to the right in Ahanlish are the ruins of an old forge where De Cuellar, where a survivor of the wreck of the Spanish Armada at Tullaghan spent some time before proceeding to MacClancy's Castle at
in Lough Melvin where he remained for three months.
Drumahaire barony is bordered to the north by
; to the southeast by Leitrim and Carrigallen (all the preceding baronies are also in County Leitrim); to the east by Tullyhaw, County Cavan; to the west by Carbury and Tirerril, County Sligo; and to the south by Boyle, County Roscommon.
Clanawley () is a barony in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. To its east lies Upper Lough Erne, and it is bordered by three other baronies: Magheraboy to the north; Tirkennedy and Knockninny to the east. It also borders three baronies in the Republic of Ireland: Tullyhaw to the south; and Drumahaire and
to the west.
There are five historic baronies in the county. While baronies continue to be officially defined units, they are no longer used for many administrative purposes. Their official status is illustrated by Placenames Orders made since 2003, where official Irish names of baronies are listed under "Administrative units". They are Carrigallen, Drumahaire, Leitrim, Mohill and
In November 1588 Cuéllar moved on to the territory of the MacClancy with 8 other Spaniards, staying at one of the lord's castles – probably at
on the south of Loch Melvin. News arrived that the English had sent 1,700 troops to MacClancy's country: in response, the lord opted to take to the mountains, while the Spaniards resolved to defend the castle. They had 18 firearms – muskets and arquebuses – and considered the castle impregnable because of its location in bogland, which precluded the use of artillery.
Tyrconnell or Tirconnell () was a political state in northwest Ireland until 1601. It lay in the area now more commonly referred to as County Donegal, although the kingdom and later principality of Tyrconnell was larger than that, including parts of Sligo, Leitrim (in present-day Republic of Ireland), Tyrone, Fermanagh and a southern part of Londonderry (in present-day Northern Ireland). According to Geoffrey Keating, it included the baronies of Carbury (, in County Sligo),
(, in County Leitrim), and Magheraboy (, mainly Toorah or Tuath Ratha) and Firlurg (, in County Fermanagh). As such it had a size varying between that of Corsica (8,680 km) and Lebanon (10,452 km).
Magheraboy () is a barony in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. To its east lies Lower Lough Erne, and it is bordered by three other baronies in Northern Ireland: Lurg to the north; Tirkennedy to the east; and Clanawley to the south It also borders two baronies in the Republic of Ireland: Tirhugh to the north; and
to the south. The westernmost point (near the Irish farm Mangern) of Magheraboy is also the westernmost point of Northern Ireland and even the westernmost piece of land of the United Kingdom. (8 10' 38" west of Greenwich).
The last legacy of the Dromahair O’Rourke lords during the plantations was the land allocated to their widows. Mary O’Donnell, mother of Brian and Aedh and widow of King Tadhg (1603-1605) was granted 1,600 acres and Mary Maguire, widow of King Brian Óg (1591-1603) was granted 700. Tiernan, grandson of King Feidhlimidh (1528-1536) the last of the Carha line, was granted land in the Barony of
in 1622 and in 1629 Shane Óg, descendant of the Carrigallen O'Rourkes, received 1,800 acres in Carrigallen. Three other natives of former West Breifne; Elizabeth Duff, Catherine Glanchy and Mary Crofton were granted 4,000 acres between them. The largest landowner was Scottish noble Frederick Hamilton, who founded Manorhamilton on the banks of the Owenbeg River. He received 6,500 acres but would later grow this to over 18,000 acres.
Tyrconnell, the territory named after the Cenel Conaill, is the vast territory where the O'Donnells held sway, comprised the greater part of the modern county of Donegal except the peninsula of Inishowen. But it also included areas outside Donegal, such as the baronies of Carbury in County Sligo,
in County Leitrim, and Magheraboy and Firlurg in County Fermanagh, and part of southern County Londonderry, hence it straddled the modern Republic of Ireland and also part of Northern Ireland in the UK. The jewel in the O'Donnell crown was Donegal Castle, one of seven O'Donnell castles, and now a national monument partially restored by the Office of Public Works. Tyrconnell also therefore bordered on territory ruled by the O'Neills of Tyrone, who were periodically attempting to assert their claim of supremacy over it, and hence the history of the O'Donnells is for the most part a record of clan warfare with their powerful neighbours, and of their own efforts to make good their claims to the overlordship of northern Connacht, and a wider swathe of Ulster. Nonetheless Tyrconnell existed for a period as an independent kingdom, recognised by King Henry III of England (see Close Roll, in the Tower of London, 28 Hen. 3m.7).
Copyright © 2017