Synonyms for shanid or Related words with shanid
Examples of "shanid"
The motto appearing beneath the Desmond arms was "
Abu," in English "
to victory," a reference to the Desmond stronghold of
Thomas FitzMaurice FitzGerald (c. 1175 – 1213) of
, Lord of O'Connelloe, was the son of Maurice FitzGerald, Lord of Lanstephan. Thomas was the progenitor of the Geraldine House of Desmond, and brother of Gerald FitzMaurice, 1st Lord of Offaly, progenitor of the Geraldine House of Kildare.
John FitzGerald, 1st Baron Desmond, of
, County Limerick, Lord of Connelloe and Decies, married (first) Margery, daughter and heir of Sir Thomas Fitz-Anthony, Lord of Decies and Desmond. These domains were confirmed to him by Prince Edward, the Black Prince in 1260. He married (second) Honora, daughter of Hugh O'Connor, of Kerry.
The lands around Glin were the manor of the Knight of Glin after the Norman invasion. Glin was not included in the Down Survey of the 1650s. The village, as it was then, was called Ballygullyhannane. Glin "An Gleann" was previously "Gleann Corbraighe", "Valley of the Corbry", from the stream flowing through the village into the Shannon. Glin is in the barony of
, formerly a division of the barony of Lower Connello. A road through the mountains south to Abbeyfeale was completed in 1836
During this era hurling was to the fore in the Robertstown and Barrigone areas of the parish. A team called the Liberators won numerous tournaments in the surrounding area. Shanagolden also had a football team called the
Abú's in this era. Records don't give a lot about the period 1910 to 1924. In 1925 Foynes beat Glin 0-9 to 1-4 in the West Junior final and in 1930 Shanagolden won the same competition when they beat Abbeyfeale 1-3 to 0-4. In 1932, Shanagolden lost a final to Ballysteen but beat Foynes in a parish derby a year later by 1-5 to 1-4. This remains the only final contested by two teams from the parish. Foynes reached the County Senior Football final in 1936 but were beaten by the four in a row winning Ahane team of the era.
The ruins of
Castle, an important Anglo-Norman stronghold, is located a short distance away from the village. The castle was possibly constructed in 1230 on land associated with the FitzGerald family which settled in the area after 1169 and was a fortress of the Knights of Glin before being burned in 1641. Known as the "Old Abbey", St. Katherine's Abbey, Monisternagalliaghduff (Manisternagalliaghduff) is a former Augustinian nunnery founded in 1298 and dissolved in 1541. One of the earliest recorded nunneries in Ireland, it is located in a valley about 2 miles east of Shanagolden. The town's history has been chronicled in a local book, written by students of the local primary school, and was published and distributed to many local shops.
Upstream on the Corbry from the village is Glin Castle and demesne, the residence of the Knight of Glin and now a luxury hotel. The first castle they built was by Thomas Fitzgerald in
around 1200. Its ruins are still visible. It was the home of the Knights of Glin from about 1260 until 1642, when a house was built near the site of the present castle. The present day castle was built between 1780 and 1790 by John Bateman. Although it is called a castle, it is actually a Georgian house. The contractor was a Mr. Sheehy and the stone was brought from Athea by horse drawn sledge. By 1798, the majority of the interior was finished but with the Fitzgeralds about to become bankrupt, the craftsmen downed tools and left the castle.
Kilflynn was a historical parish in the barony of Clanmaurice. This barony developed from the area which had been in the control of native leaders (especially O'Conors) but was taken over by the Norman, Maurice, son of Thomas FitzGerald of
who died in 1213. Thomas FitzGerald himself was son of Maurice FitzGerald, Lord of Llanstephan, who had supported 'Strongbow', Lord Pembroke, in his Cambro-Norman invasion of Ireland in 1169 and who began the Geraldine dynasty in Ireland and their House of Desmond. Later earls of all County Kerry were scions of the FitzMaurice barons. Kilflynn was also the name of the local civil parish with its sixteen constituent townlands: Ballyconnell, Cappagh, Castletown, Cloghaneleskirt, Cloonnafinneela, Crotta, Fahavane, Glanballyma, Gortclohy, Kilflynn (village), Knockbrack East, Knockbrack West, Knocknahila, Rea, Stack’s Mountain and Tooreen.
The coat of arms of the Dukes of Leinster derives from the legend that John FitzGerald, 1st Earl of Kildare, as a baby in Woodstock Castle, was trapped in a fire when a pet monkey rescued him. The FitzGeralds then adopted a monkey as their crest (and later supporters) and occasionally use the additional motto "Non immemor beneficii" (Not forgetful of a helping hand). The motto "Crom A Boo" comes from the medieval Croom Castle and "Abu", meaning "up" in Irish; "Crom Abu" was the FitzGeralds' medieval warcry. Crom (Croom) and Shanet (
) were two castles about 16 miles apart in Co Limerick, one being the seat of the Geraldines of Kildare, and the other that of the Geraldines of Desmond, whose distinctive war cries were accordingly “Crom-a-boo” and “Shanet-a-boo.” In 1495 an act of Parliament was passed (10 Hen. VII. C. 20) “to abolish the words Crom-a-boo and Butler-a-boo.” The word “Abu” or “Aboo,” an exclamation of defiance, was the usual termination of the war cries in Ireland, as in "a' buaidh", "to victory!" Saint Patrick's Saltire, a red saltire on a white field, may have been adapted from the Dukes arms on the 1783 creation of the Order of Saint Patrick, of which the 2nd Duke of Leinster was the senior founder member.
Baronies were sometimes subdivided, and occasionally combined. The parts of a subdivided barony were called "half-baronies", but had the same legal standing. Some subdivisions came about when new counties were formed, and the new boundary split a pre-existing barony. In three cases, there are adjacent half-baronies in neighbouring counties with the same name: Rathdown (Dublin—Wicklow), Fore (Meath—Westmeath), and Ballymoe (Galway—Roscommon). Subdivision happened especially in the nineteenth century, when qualifiers "Upper"/"Lower"(/"Middle"), "North"/"South", or "East/"West" were used for the half-baronies. The main basis for this subdivision was the Grand Jury (Ireland) Act, 1836, which empowered a county's grand jury to divide baronies of at least and unite baronies totalling at most . An 1837 act relaxed these restrictions for County Fermanagh, where many baronies were split by Lough Erne. The baronies of Iveagh, Muskerry, and Connello were each subdivided twice: Upper and Lower Iveagh each have Upper and Lower Halves; East and West Muskerry each have East and West Divisions; the western divisions split from Upper and Lower Connello were named
and Glenquin respectively. When County Tipperary was split into North and South Ridings in 1838, the barony of Kilnamanagh was split into Upper and Lower half-baronies.
Copyright © 2017