Synonyms for sivanesa or Related words with sivanesa
Examples of "sivanesa"
Nesa Nayanar (), also known as
Nayanar, Neca Nayanar (Necha nayanar), Nesanar, Nesar and Nesan (Necan), was a Nayanar saint, venerated in the Hindu sect of Shaivism. He is generally counted as the fifty-ninth in the list of 63 Nayanars. Nesa Nayanar is described to be a weaver, who was always engrossed in remembering his patron god Shiva and gifting clothes he knit to devotees of the deity.
He was born to
and Gnanakalai. His father was a trader in Thiruvidaimarudur, Thanjavur district. His birth name was Swethaaranyar after an epithet of Lord Siva of Swethaaranyeswarar Temple. He was also called as Thiruvengadar by the people. When he was five years old, he lost his father. Like his father he spent money on Lord Shiva's devotees, and fed them daily. He was a trader and had enough wealth. At sixteen years, he was married to Sivakalai, daughter of another trader by the name of Sivasithamparam Chettiyar and his wife Sivakaamy. Even after fifteen years of marriage they had no children. Meantime there was a very poor Saivaite by the name of Sivasarumar who spent all his wealth in feeding the Lord Shiva's devotees. When all his wealth was spent he sold his wife's nuptial chain (Thaali) and fed the devotees of Lord Shiva. Once in his dream, Lord Shiva appeared and told him, he would find him (Shiva) as a baby at a certain spot. "Hand over the baby boy to Thiruvengadar. He would give you gold equal to the weight of the baby. The Saivaite devotees found the baby and took him to Pattinatthar. He adopted the child and gave the couple, gold and more wealth."
The temple is situated at the bottom of the Annamalai hills, and faces east, lying over 25 acres. The walls on the east and west measure , the south , and the north . It has four gateway towers, the "gopuram", on its four sides. The eastern tower, the "Rajagopuram", is the tallest in the temple. The base of the "Rajagopuram" is made of granite, measuring by . It was begun by king Krishnadevaraya (1509–29 CE) of the Vijayanagara dynasty, and completed by Sevappa Nayaka (1532–80 CE). The inscriptions indicate that the tower was built at the behest of
and his brother Lokanatha in 1572 CE. The south tower is called Thirumanjangopuram, and the west, Pei Gopuram. Ammani Ammal, a "Sanyasini", built the north tower which carries her namesake. "Raghunathabhyudayam" and "Sangitha Sudha", both Nayak scriptures, also describe the towers. The "Tanjavuri Andhra Raja Charitamu" mentions that Krishnadevaraya built the tower and the outer precincts of the temple. The temple has a total of five precincts, each of which holds a huge Nandi, the sacred bull of Shiva. Towers include the Vallala Maharaja Gopuram and Kili Gopuram, or Parrot Tower.
The temple's name is derived from the words "kapalam" (head) and "eeshwarar" an alias of lord Shiva. According to the Puranas, during the meeting of Brahma and Shiva at top of Mount Kailash Brahma failed to show the due respect to Shiva. Due to this, Shiva plucked of one of Brahma's heads ("kapalams"). In an act of penance, Brahma came down to the site of Mylapore and installed a Lingam to please Shiva. This place is known as Sukra Puri, Veda Puri, among many other names including “Kailaye Mayilai and Mayilaye Kayilai “which means this place is equal to kailash. Goddess Karpagambal, a form of Shiva's consort Parvati, due to a curse became a pea-hen and did penance here to get back her original personality. Shiva's son Murugan received the spear (Sakthi Vel) for the destruction of a demon from Parvati here. Brahma had worshipped here to get rid of his ego and get back his power to create. The four Vedas have worshipped here. Sukracharya worshipped the Lord here and got back his lost eye. Rama has worshipped here and won the war against Ravana and brought back Sita from Lanka. The daughter of
Chettiar Angam Poompavai got her lost life due to snake bite was later resurrected here by the powers of Thirugnana Sambandar. Vayilar Nayanar, a saiva saint, attained salvation here and Mylapore is also the birth place of Thiruvalluvar who wrote Thirukkural. In Thevaram special mention is made about the beautiful Madaveedhi as “Malgun Mathri Thavazhum Maada Veedhi Mylappil Ullar”. Thiruganana Sambandar, Arunagirinathar have sung the glory of Karpagambal, Singara Velar. The 10-day festival during March / April is a treat to watch and Arubathu Moovar festival is attended by lakhs of devotees every year.
Copyright © 2017