Synonyms for slievardagh or Related words with slievardagh
Examples of "slievardagh"
Buolick is a civil parish in County Tipperary, Ireland. It is one of nineteen civil parishes in the barony of
Mellisson is a townland in the civil parish of Buolick in the barony of
in County Tipperary.
There were six historic baronies in South Tipperary: Clanwilliam, Iffa and Offa East, Iffa and Offa West, Kilnamanagh Lower, Middle Third and
Mullinahone () is a village located in the barony of
, County Tipperary in Ireland. It is also a parish in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly.
There are 12 historic baronies in County Tipperary: Clanwilliam, Eliogarty, Iffa and Offa East, Iffa and Offa West, Ikerrin, Kilnamanagh Lower, Kilnamanagh Upper, Middle Third, Ormond Lower, Ormond Upper, Owney and Arra and
Templemichael is a civil parish in the barony of
, County Tipperary, in Ireland. Historically, it was in the Poor Law Union of "Carrick-on-Suir & Callan". It is situated in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Waterford and Lismore.
New Birmingham is a small village in County Tipperary, Ireland. It is located approximately 15 kilometres from Thurles and also on the R689 regional road between Urlingford and Fethard. It is within the townland of Glengoole (), and is in the barony of
Ballingarry () is a village and civil parish in County Tipperary, Ireland. It is one of 19 civil parishes in the barony of
. It is associated with the coal mining industry. It is also an ecclesiastical parish in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly. The village is situated near the Kilkenny border on route R691 in the Slieveardagh range.
When County Tipperary was split into North and South Ridings in 1836,
was allocated to the south riding. However, the neighbouring barony of Kilnamanagh was split into Upper and Lower half-baronies, being allocated to the north and south ridings respectively.
The Slieveardagh Hills are a low range of hills on the County Tipperary - Kilkenny border, mainly in the barony of
. The highest point is Clomantagh Hill at 349 m and the highest point by relative height in the hills is Knocknamuck at 340m with prominence of 268m. The hills contain the source of the River Goul, which flows north and the Kings River which flows southwards from the hills.
Killenaule () is a small village and a civil parish in County Tipperary in Ireland. It is also one half of the ecclesiastical parish of Killenaule and Moyglass in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly. It is in the barony of
. It is located east of Cashel on the R689 and R691 regional roads. It lies at the south-western edge of the Slieveardagh Hills.
() is a barony in County Tipperary, Ireland. This geographical unit of land is one of 12 baronies in County Tipperary. Its chief town is Mullinahone. The barony lies between Eliogarty to the north (whose chief town is Thurles), Iffa and Offa East to the south (whose chief town is Clonmel) and Middle Third to the west (whose chief town is Cashel). It is currently administered by Tipperary County Council.
Middle Third (Irish: "An Trian Meánach"; also spelled Middlethird) is a barony in County Tipperary, Ireland. This geographical unit of land is one of 12 baronies in County Tipperary. Its chief town is Cashel. The barony lies between Eliogarty to the north (whose chief town is Thurles), Iffa and Offa East to the south (whose chief town is Clonmel), Clanwilliam to the west (whose chief town is Tipperary) and
to the east (whose chief town is Mullinahone). It is currently administered by Tipperary County Council.
Iffa and Offa East (Irish: "Uíbh Eoghain agus Uíbh Fhathaidh Thoir") is a barony in County Tipperary, Ireland. This geographical unit of land is one of 12 baronies in County Tipperary. Its chief town is Clonmel. The barony lies between Iffa and Offa West to the west (whose chief town is Cahir), Middle Third to the north-west (whose chief town is Cashel) and
to the north-east (whose chief town is Mullinahone). It is currently administered by Tipperary County Council. The entire barony lies within the geographic remit of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Waterford and Lismore with the exception of the parish of Clerihan which is in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly.
Only those lands in church ownership at the time of the 1328 grant were part of the county of the cross; lands acquired by the church subsequently were not added to it, and lands ceded by the church remained part of it. This was most notable after the Dissolution of the monasteries instigated by Henry VIII. The Irish Manuscripts Commission's report on Down Survey of the 1650s states, 'To establish the identity "of the lands of Abbeys and houses of religion within the precincts of Cross Tipperary" would be a considerable undertaking'. A 1600 list of freeholders in Cross Tipperary included holders of land in the baronies of Middle Third, Clanwilliam,
, and Eliogarty, and the town of Clonmel. A county jury of Cross Tipperary in 1606 had members from Fethard, Ballyclerahan, Lattin, and elsewhere. Heffernan's partial list of crossland locations names Tipperary town, Cahir, Emly, Holy Cross Abbey, Athassel, Inislounaght, Moorestown Kirk, Cregstown, and Mollough.
Lismalin (also known as "Lismolin") is a townland in the civil parish of the same name. The largest town in the parish is Mullinahone. Immediately to the north lies the civil parish of Ballingarry and immediately to the north of Ballingarry lies the civil parish of Buolick in which the townland of Clonamicklon is located. The largest town in the parish is Gortnahoe. The townland of Clonamicklon borders the civil parish of Kilcooly to the east. In the townland of Kilcoolyabbey lies Kilcooly Abbey, close to the border with County Kilkenny. Donagh Carbragh O'Brien, King of Thomond, founded the abbey for Cistercian monks about 1200. John Butler was buried in the abbey. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries during the English Reformation, the lands were granted to the Earl of Ormond. The lands of this family stretched some fifteen miles between Lismalin on the King’s River to Kilcooly. All four civil parishes lie in the barony of
When you travel from Gortnahoe to Glengoole you expect to find Glengoole after Ballysloe, but the stranger finds that the sign for the next village reads ‘New Birmingham’. He also finds that the village is neither New nor Birmingham. There must be history here and there is. It takes you back to the beginning of the 19th century, when the local landlord, Vere Hunt, could see great potential for the development of coal mining. The plans were to build a city for coal mining in the
Hills. In reality it never got to the stage of full development, so you can find the remains of a gaol which never held a prisoner and the extensive diary of Vere Hunt gives a vivid account of how Glengoole got the name New Birmingham, but failed to reach its full potential.
Copyright © 2017