Synonyms for stumperlowe_hall or Related words with stumperlowe_hall
Examples of "stumperlowe_hall"
is a small English country house situated in the City of Sheffield, England. It is located on
Road at its junction with Slayleigh Lane in the suburb of Fulwood. The hall is a Grade II listed building.
Stumperlowe Cottage is a Grade II listed building situated on
Road in the suburb of Fulwood in Sheffield, England. It was originally a cottage with an attached barn but has now been converted into one long residential building.
500 people attended Kenning's funeral in 1956. Obituaries appeared in The Times, and the Derbyshire Times. His widow bought
in Sheffield the following year and this house would become a family residence.
George lived in a variety of houses during his lifetime, starting in Clay Cross and ending his days at
in Sheffield in 1956. Prior to that he lived at Baslow Hall in the Peak District. The Kenning family is also associated with Eastwood Grange, Ashover and Great Longstone Hall.
It is difficult to determine the exact age of Stumperlowe Cottage, various sources give conflicting dates for its construction and it is possible that the cottage and the cruck barn were constructed at different times. Local historian Bessie Bunker, author of the book "“Cruck Buildings”" states that the ancient cruck building dates from around 1400. Bunker considered the cottage to be the original
, and was later downgraded to become a labourers cottage and attached barn when the new hall was built in the 1650s by Robert Hall. In the 15th century the cottage stood in a completely rural situation with the ancient track between Ecclesall and Hallam Head passing in front of the building, however this was built over in Victorian times as was the farms extensive lands.
The present day house dates from 1854, but a previous hall was built on the same site in the 1650s by Robert Hall a descendent of the Mitchells, an ancient Hallamshire family who had held land in the Stumperlowe area since the end of the 14th century. Robert Hall and his wife Dorothy lived at
for over fifty years, the couple had a son Henry Hall who also resided at the hall for a time. By 1716 the grandchildren of Robert Hall had to surrender the house by order of the Sheffield Manor Court and it was purchased by Daniel Gascoigne of Sheffield, an apothecary and John Hawksworth, a lead merchant. The hall was the residence and estate of Mr. Hawksworth and his family for most of the remaining years of the 18th century.
The hall was completely transformed in 1854 when it came into the possession of Henry Isaac Dixon (1820-1912) of Page Hall. Dixon was part owner of the Britannia metal manufacturing company James Dixon & Sons of Cornish Place. Dixon rebuilt and extended the hall in a subtle and sensitive style, introducing more light into the house by replacing the original mullioned windows with larger areas of glass. Dixon was also a generous patron of the Fulwood area providing money for tree planting and for the expansion of Christ Church on Canterbury Avenue. Henry Isaac Dixon died in 1912 and his son James Dixon (1851-1947) moved into the hall, James Dixon had taken over the running of the family firm in 1877 and was elected as one of the youngest ever Master Cutlers in 1887 at the age of 36. He moved out of
in 1924, at the age of 73, although he lived until he was 96 years old.
Fulwood () is a suburb of Sheffield., In ancient times this area was part of a large forest—the name "Fulwood" means a wet, marshy woodland. In Mediaeval times it formed part of Rivelin Firth, the hunting chase of the Lords of the Manor of Sheffield. It developed into a wealthy residential district in the 19th century and many houses from this period still exist. Amongst the historic buildings in Fulwood are the Old Chapel, which was built in 1729 (the old village stocks still stand outside this church), Fulwood Hall, built in 1620 and
. According to the Indices of Deprivation 2007, the district of Fulwood (i.e. Fulwood village as opposed to the ward as a whole, which is a much larger area) is the second-least deprived area of the city after Ecclesall.
Fulwood House on Old Fulwood Road is a large structure built in 1920 for the Wilsons, a well known local family involved in the manufacture of snuff. It was eventually purchased by the Sheffield Regional Hospital Board in 1948 and is now part of the headquarters of the Sheffield Health & Social Care NHS Foundation Trust, housing conference and training facilities and other meeting rooms. Two other adjacent buildings to Fulwood House are also part of the headquarters, these are the Vic Hallam Building and the 7 Storey Tower Block. The tower block is a significant landmark in the area and has caused some controversy as it is out of character with much of the architecture in the area. The Guildhall on Fulwood Road dates from 1824, it is thought that it was formerly part of the outbuildings of Goole Green farm before becoming the parish church hall. It is now a private residence. Stumperlowe Grange on
Road is a large late 17th century house, which originally had 50 acres of land it was remodelled and extended in the 19th century by W.E. Laycock owner of Samuel Laycock and Sons, hair seating manufacturers, and Mayor of Sheffield in 1865. It has now been divided into two large private residences. Much of the Grange‘s land was sold off for house building in the first half of the 20th century
The Fox family built Fulwood Hall on the north side of the Mayfield valley, it was one of the first large houses in the area and is believed to date from the 15th century. Bennett Grange on Harrison Lane was built 400 metres to the west of Fulwood Hall in 1580, over the years it belonged to the Hall, Hind and Bennet families, it has been added to over the years and still stands today overlooking the Mayfield valley.
was constructed in the 1650s by the Mitchell family who been landowners in the area since the 14th century, the hall was completely rebuilt in the 1850s. During the ravages of the Great Plague of 1666, Fulwood Spa became a popular resort for people alarmed by the spread of the disease. The spa was a spring of mineral water situated in the Porter valley near the present day Whitley Lane, it was created by Thomas Eaton who covered the spring with a building, many Sheffield people came to “take the waters”. Industrial use of the rivers in the area started in 1641 when Ulysses Fox of Fulwood Hall built a corn mill on the Mayfield Brook just before its confluence with the Porter Brook. Thomas Boulsover, the inventor of Sheffield plate made further industrial use of the Porter in the Fulwood area in the 1760s when he constructed the Whiteley Wood rolling mill for the manufacture of saws and edge tools, Boulsover lived in the nearby Whiteley Wood Hall on the south bank of the Porter from 1757 till his death in 1788.
Copyright © 2017