Synonyms for tarlati or Related words with tarlati
Examples of "tarlati"
He married Elisa
, daughter of Maso
, lord of Pietramala, and sister of cardinal Galeotto
refers to Guido
, who was the bishop of Arezzo and died in 1327.
(died 1327) was a lord and Bishop of Arezzo.
di Pietramala (1261–1356) was an Italian condottiero from Pietramala d'Arezzo in the Val d'Arno, a "rocca" that controlled the mule track between his native town of Arezzo and Anghiari. Pietramala ("Bad rock") was the seat of the powerful family of the
, who came to prominence in the strife following Arezzo's decisive defeat at Campaldino (1289) as heads of the Ghibelline "Secchi" faction of Arezzo. Pier Saccone's brother was Guido
, bishop and "signore" of Arezzo.
A short time before his death
reconciled with the Pope. According to Giorgio Vasari the tomb commissioned by Guido's brother, the condottiero Pier Saccone
di Pietramala, was designed by Giotto (although this is disputed), who recommended to Pier Saccone the Sienese sculptors Agnolo da Ventura and Agostino di Giovanni to execute it. It is located in the Cathedral of Arezzo.
also expanded the territories of Arezzo, and in 1323, with the collaboration of Francesco I Ordelaffi (Ghibelline lord of Forlì), he conquered Città di Castello. Arezzo's expansion caused however the deterioration of the relations with the Papal States, ending with the excommunicated of
by Pope John XXII. He was replaced by another bishop, Boso Ubertini, but
did not allow him to enter in the city. Tarlati's prestige at the time was so high that German emperor Louis IV wanted to receive from him the Iron Crown.
A Ghibelline leader, according to some sources he hosted Dante Alighieri in Forlì in 1316. In 1323 he supported the Ghibelline lord of Arezzo, Guido
, in the conquest of Città di Castello.
polyptych is a Renaissance polyptych painted by the Italian artist Pietro Lorenzetti, with tempera and gold on panel, in 1320. It is located at the church of Santa Maria della Pieve in Arezzo, Italy.
Bibbiena was originally an important Etruscan town that eventually evolved into a Medieval castle- portions of which, in the form of the "Torre dei
" and the "Porta dei Fabbri" still exist.
The gilded three-story altarpiece, the Arezzo (or Arentine or
) Polyptych, was commissioned in 1320 by bishop Guido
for the Santa Maria della Pieve in Arezzo. At its centre is the Madonna (draped in a magnificent ermine-lined robe) and child, flanked by John the Evangelist, John the Baptist, Saint Matthew, and Arezzo's patron saint, Donatus (martyred in 361 CE). The rich colours, graceful lines, decorative detail, and supple figures (suggestive of Martini's influence), endow the piece with "a vivacity rare in contemporary Sienese art."
In the right aisle is the funerary monument of Pope Gregory X (died 1276), dating to the early 14th century. Another funerary monument in the aisles is that of Ciuto
(1334), formed by a marble sarcophagus of the 4th century AD and a series of reliefs by Agostino di Giovanni, crowned by a 14th-century fresco.
It was founded in 1313 by Bernardo Tolomei, a jurist from a prominent aristocratic family of Siena. In 1319 or 1320 it was approved by Bishop Guido
as "Monte Oliveto", with reference to the Mount of Olives and in honour of Christ’s Passion. The monastery was begun in 1320, the new congregation being approved by Pope Clement VI in 1344.
In 1241, the Arezzo military besieged Capolona and destroyed it. The Abbott was forced to surrender all the castles and lands under control of the Abbey. Their ownership was passed to the municipality. These were in turn passed to the dominion of the
di Pietramala, in 1384, after the Arezzo territories surrendered to Firenze, becoming part of the Fiorentino Republic.
The commune of Arezzo threw off the control of its bishop in 1098 and was an independent city-state until 1384. Generally Ghibelline in tendency, it opposed Guelph Florence. In 1252 the city founded its university, the "Studium". After the rout of the Battle of Campaldino (1289), which saw the death of Bishop , the fortunes of Ghibelline Arezzo started to ebb, apart from a brief period under the
family, chief among them Guido
, who became bishop in 1312 and maintained good relations with the Ghibelline party. The
sought support in an alliance with Forlì and its overlords, the Ordelaffi, but failed: Arezzo yielded to Florentine domination in 1384; its individual history was subsumed by that of Florence and the Medicean Grand Duchy of Tuscany. During this period Piero della Francesca worked in the church of San Francesco di Arezzo producing the splendid frescoes, recently restored, which are Arezzo's most famous works. Afterwards the city began an economical and cultural decay, which fortunately ensured that its medieval centre was preserved.
, coming from a Ghibelline family of Pietramala, became bishop of 1312. In 1321 he was declared seignior of Arezzo, a position he held until his death. During his administration the city had generally good relations with its neighbors Florence and Siena, and promoted the pacification between the Guelphs and Ghibellines. Later he supported Uguccione della Faggiola and Castruccio Castracani, lords of Lucca, in their wars against Florence.
The Order of Our Lady of Mount Olivet is a small Roman Catholic order, founded in 1313 by Bernardo Tolomei (born Giovanni Tolomei) along with two of his friends from the noble families of Siena, Patrizio Patrizi and Ambrogio Piccolomini. They initially lived as hermits in the "savage waste of Accona". The building of the monastery here began with the approbation of the foundation charter by Guido
, bishop of Arezzo (26 March 1319).
The tall interior has a nave and two aisles, divided by longitudinal ogival arches whose columns have Corinthian capitals. The counter-façade has nine windows on three rows. At the high altar is the
polyptych, representing the "Madonna and Saints", by Pietro Lorenzetti (1320), while traces of frescoes with St. Dominic and St. Francis (attributed to Adnrea di Nerlo, mid-14th century) can be seen inside the church. The crypt houses a reliquiary bust of St. Donatus, executed in 1346.
He is often documented as collaborator of other artists, such as Agnolo di Ventura, with whom he executed the cenotaph of Guido
in the Cathedral of Arezzo (signed and dated 1330). Vasari mentions Agnolo and Agostino in several commissions from the commune of Siena, including the Porta Romana and the Torre del Mangia; his collaboration at the construction is documented in 1339. He is also mentioned in regard with the construction of fortifications at Massa Marittima.
Giovanni was the son of sculptor and architect Agostino da Siena (c. 1285 – c. 1347; also known as Agostino di Giovanni) and the sculptor brother of Domenico di Agostino. Like the rest of his family, most of his work was sculptural commissions of the newly built Gothic Siena Cathedral. He sculpted a monument to Bishop Guido
in 1330. He also rendered a relief entitled "Madonna and Child with Saints Catherine and John the Baptist" between 1340 and 1348.
In the counter-façade is the hexagonal baptismal font, with reliefs by Donatello's workshop, including a "Baptism of Christ" by Donatello himself. The Chapel of Madonna del Confort is a Neoclassicist work, built from 1796 and housing several terracottas by Andrea della Robbia. In the same side is the cenotaph of Guido
, lord of Arezzo until 1327. According to some, it was designed by Giotto, and executed by Agnolo di Ventura and Agostino di Giovanni. Near to the cenotaph is Piero della Francesca's "Mary Magdalene" (1460s).
Copyright © 2017