Synonyms for thrumster or Related words with thrumster
Examples of "thrumster"
was a railway station located at
, Highland, Scotland between Wick and Lybster. The station building can still be seen alongside the main road in
Welsh's Crossing Halt was a railway station located south of
, Highland between Wick and Lybster.
The village of
lies 0.5 miles north west, with Wick located 5 north of the township.
The village had a railway station until trains stopped running on the Wick and Lybster Railway in 1944. The station has been preserved. 0.3 mile south is
Parish Church, part of the Church of Scotland charge of Pulteneytown and
Wick High School takes in pupils from eleven primary schools: Dunbeath, Lybster,
, Noss (Wick), South (Wick), Pultneytown (Wick), Watten, Keiss, Bower, and Canisbay.
Archibald Clunes Innes (1799–1857) was a soldier and pastoralist from
, Caithness, Scotland. When he arrived in Australia in 1822 he was a captain in the Third Regiment (Buffs), on the ship "Eliza", in charge of 170 convicts.
The residential suburbs stretch to Lighthouse Beach in the south,
to the west and to North Shore, on the northern bank of the river. In July 2010, Sovereign Hills began development in the west.
is a remote crofting township on the main A99 road between Wick and Inverness. It is the nearest village to Wick. The transmission mast used to broadcast BBC television and radio signals to Caithness until 1960.
Archibald Clunes Innes, from
, Caithness was a captain in the Third Regiment (Buffs), when he arrived in Australia in 1822 on the Eliza in charge of 170 convicts. He held a number of New England properties including Glen Innes Station and Dundee station.
A new bay platform for the branch trains was provided at Wick station, on the north side of the line. (The main Highland Railway line approaches from the west.) The Lybster line started at a junction just outside the station and curved to the south; it then ran south a mile or so inland, then curving west with the coast and converging with it at the terminus, Lybster. Intermediate stations were at
, Ulbster, Mid Clyth and Occumster.
The church building was opened in 1842, but following the Disruption of 1843 the Rev David Mitchell left to become a minister of the Free Church of Scotland in Glasgow. The small rural parish church at
(5 miles south of Wick) was united with Pulteneytown Church in 1968, both congregations henceforth being served by the same minister. From 1929 until 1990 the congregation was known as "Wick St Andrew's", but following a union with (the now disused) Wick Central Church the original name of Pulteneytown was restored. The building was extensively refurbished in 2003.
Between its source and Maryford the burn's course describes a sort of reversed S-shape, flowing generally north, then turning east and east/southeast before turning north again. On its banks the burn has Upper Achairn, Lower Achairn, Puldagon, and Haster. Between Upper Achairn and Lower Achairn the burn receives water from Allt Beag-airighe (Burn of the Small Shieling). In the Puldagon area it is bridged by a small, single-track road linking the A882 road, near the Bridge of Haster, with the A99 road in the
area. The Bridge of Haster carries the A882 itself, about 3 kilometres west of Wick and about one kilometre south of Maryford.
Archibald Clunes Innes was born in 1800 at
, Scotland, the sixth son of Major James Innes. He was commissioned an ensign in the 3rd Regiment (the Buffs) in 1813 at the age of only 13 and served in the Peninsular War. He came to Sydney as captain of the guard in the convict ship "Eliza" in 1822. Between January 1824 and May 1825 he served in Tasmania where he was commended for recapturing escaped convicts. In December 1825 he was appointed aide-de-camp to the lieutenant-governor of New South Wales and became a magistrate in November 1826. After this he became commandant of the penal settlement at Port Macquarie. In 1828 he resigned his commission and was appointed superintendent of police and magistrate at Parramatta. He served here until his resignation in 1829. In the same year he married Margaret, daughter of the Colonial Secretary, Alexander McLeay.
He was ordained in Port Glasgow and inducted to Pultneytown St. Andrew’s Church in Wick, Caithness in 1959 as 9th Minister of Wick. After a successful merge with another local church he was minister of Wick St. Andrew’s and
Church from 1961-66. From 1966-72 he was 1st Minister of Mayfield and Easthouses Church in Dalkeith outside Edinburgh, before moving finally to Falkirk, as 8th Minister of St. Andrew's West Parish Church. During his time in Falkirk he was appointed President of the Scottish Evangelistic Council (1982–85), Convener of Community Care (1977–85) and then Convener of the Board of Social Responsibility of the Church of Scotland (1985–89). As Convener he visited Kenya as part of the International Christian Federation Conference for the Prevention of Alcoholism and Drug Addiction, and also toured the Holy Land. As Convener he was responsible for the reports presented to Margaret Thatcher after her notorious Sermon on the Mound in 1988, which were interpreted as a rebuke to her speech.
Copyright © 2017