Synonyms for tolomeo_gallio or Related words with tolomeo_gallio

alfonso_gesualdo              girolamo_bernerio              francesco_pisani              ugo_poletti              fabrizio_paolucci              luigi_lambruschini              girolamo_colonna              di_montalto              parocchi              giovanni_colonna              annibale_albani              marzio_ginetti              girolamo_mattei              michele_bonelli              giuseppe_spinelli              clemente_micara              bevilacqua_aldobrandini              camillo_massimo              vincenzo_vannutelli              francesco_soderini              iuniore              giovanni_francesco_commendone              innocenzo_cibo              lorenzo_pucci              guido_ascanio_sforza              costantino_patrizi_naro              cesare_facchinetti              cerretti              alderano_cybo              serafino_vannutelli              flavio_chigi              silvio_valenti_gonzaga              di_santa_fiora              carlo_odescalchi              gian_francesco_albani              cinzio              gabriele_paleotti              ginnasi              ss_cosma_damiano              maria_della_somaglia              rodolfo_pio              pietro_fumasoni_biondi              ulderico_carpegna              marcello_lante              marco_cornaro              giovanni_garzia              romoaldo              oliviero_carafa              alessandro_cesarini              bernardino_spada             



Examples of "tolomeo_gallio"
Tolomeo Gallio (also spelled Gallo and Galli; 25 September 1527 - 3 or 4 February 1607) was an Italian Cardinal.
The Archbishop of Milan Charles Borromeo died during the night of 3/4 November 1584, and the following 28 November the pope transferred Gaspare Visconti from the diocese of Novara, where he was not jet entered, to Milan. He was consecrated bishop on 13 December 1584 by Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio. He made his formal entrance in Milan on 22 July 1585.
Since in the last two conclaves the candidates supported by Spain had won, it was generally thought that also this time only pro-Spanish papabile had any prospects of winning the election. Besides Santori, only Madruzzo, Tolomeo Gallio, Paleotti, Marco Antonio Colonna and Aldobrandini were acceptable to Spain and it seemed clear that the new Pope would be one of them.
Villa d'Este, in Cernobbio, was built in 1568 by Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio, a native of the town. In 1816–1817 the villa was home to Caroline of Brunswick, estranged wife of the Prince of Wales and shortly to become Queen Consort of King George IV of the United Kingdom. The landscaped gardens in the English style are a product of this period. Later in the century it was turned into a luxury hotel. Today the Villa d’Este is known for attracting celebrity guests.
He lived in Ancona between 1558 and 1561. Here he painted frescoes for Loggia dei Mercanti and Palazzo Ferretti. In 1561, he met Cardinal Carlo Borromeo, who employed him in Milan mostly as architect in the nearly endless task of constructing the cathedral, working on various projects in the cathedral, the courtyard of the archiepiscopal palace (1564–70), San Fedele (1569–1579) and San Sebastiano (1577). In Milan he worked also as a civil architect, projecting the Spinola, Erba Odescalchi and Prospero Visconti palaces. In 1575 he was commissioned by Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio the construction of Villa d'Este on the shores of Lake Como.
The village is articulated in three district urban nuclei that include: la Rocca (fortress), il Peschio, il Borgo Basso, contained in long town-walls still well preserved here and there. The Palazzo Ducale (or Palazzo Gallio, Ducal Palace), built in Renaissance style by Tolomeo Gallio in the late 16th-early 17th centuries, is located on the main road of the Basso Suburb, constituting the true nucleus of the present village. A little bit forward, on the left hand, a short small road goes uphill to the Church of S. Teresa. The Church is of baroque style, with a high portal.
In 1515, after Pietro had embraced the French cause, Alvito was conferred on the viceroy Ramón (Raimondo) de Cardona, who did not live there but rather administered it through a governor. The county was inherited by Ramón's son Folch (or Ferrante), under the regency of his mother, Isabella de Requesens. She was able to exploit the ongoing Franco-Spanish wars to acquire the nearby Duchy of Somma. Ferrante was succeeded in 1571 by his sons Loise (1572–74) and Antonio (1574–92), who let Alvito decline under ruthless local governors. Despite the acquisition of the Duchy of Sessa, in 1592 the county was ceded to Matteo di Caua for 100,000 ducats. It was sold a second time to the Milanese nobleman Matteo Taverna, who acquired it with money from Tolomeo II Gallio, nephew and namesake of the Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio. In the end Tolomeo obtained full rule in Alvito, receiving the title of Duke in 1606 from Philip III of Spain.
Gerardo Landriani, Bishop of Como (1437–1445), founded a female convent here at the mouth of the Garovo torrent in 1442. A century later Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio demolished the nunnery and commissioned Pellegrino Tibaldi to design a residence for his own use. The Villa del Garovo, together with its luxuriant gardens, was constructed during the years 1565–70 and during the cardinal’s lifetime it became a resort of politicians, intellectuals and ecclesiastics. On Gallio’s death the villa passed to his family who, over the years, allowed it to sink into a state of some decay. From 1749 to 1769 it was a Jesuit centre for spiritual exercises, after which it was acquired first by Count Mario Odescalchi and then in 1778 by a Count Marliani. In 1784 it passed to the Milanese Calderari family who undertook a major restoration project and created a new park "all’Italiana" with an impressive nymphaeum and a temple displaying a seventeenth-century statue of Hercules hurling Lichas into the sea. After the death of Marquis Calderari his wife Vittoria Peluso, a former ballerina at La Scala and known as "la Pelusina", married a Napoleonic general, Count Domenico Pino and a mock fortress was erected in the park in his honour.