Synonyms for wallplate or Related words with wallplate
Examples of "wallplate"
, wall plate, or wall-plate may refer to:
The 18th century saw the use of the casement window adjoined to the wall plate between the wall and rafters. In time, the casement would be replaced by the sash window, and improved building techniques allowed window- and door-frames to be removed from the
Much of the interior detail has now been lost, so the interior is mostly quite plain; some rooms have surviving boarded rooves. A
in the main hall has carved foliage. The main hall's roof is in three sections; it was painted by J.G. Crace.
'... It was a snug hut enough, for father was a good bush carpenter, and didn't turn his back to any one for splitting and fencing, hut-building and shingle-splitting; he had had a year or two at sawing, too ... he took great pride ... and said it was the best-built hut within fifty miles. He split every slab, cut every post and
and rafter himself, with a man to help him at odd times; and after the frame was up, and the bark on the roof, he camped underneath and finished every bit of it — chimney, flooring, doors, windows, and partitions — by himself.'
Within Pyle itself there is Mount Zion Chapel (English Baptist) and the parish church of St James (Church in Wales) is a Grade I listed building. It was built in around 1471 as is indicated by a carving of the figures on a small wooden shield on a
. It is unclear to what extent the present building adheres to the original structure because there are variations in construction methods and in the stone used. The church is considered to be a fine example of a mainly Perpendicular, two-cell church with a nave and chancel. The tower at the west end bears a clock.
The structure comprises two structurally separate buildings in its street front. The eastern half consisted of a three storied, two-bay range jettied towards the street, with a contemporary hall wing to the north, the whole apparently of the later 15th century. The range to the street had a single large room on the ground and the first floor. The ground-floor room has exposed ceiling joists and was once lit by a range of two-light windows; it connects by a four-centred arched doorway with a wide side-passage, of which the original street doorway, with carved spandrels, moulded jambs, and brackets, is a larger version of similarly placed doorways in other houses of the town. The first-floor room was of some pretensions, having had two three-light windows with traceried heads and an oriel window, replaced in the 17th century, over the entry to the side passage; the main ceiling beams have chamfered soffit-nibs. The second floor was once open to the roof, and the partition truss had shallow arch-braces to a collar-beam which had a central boss. The contemporary hall wing is of three bays; the floor area of the hall extended over all three, but the bay adjoining the range fronting the street had an upper story. The upper story was built above an elaborately molded bressummer, supported by arched brackets, and there is a waist rail corresponding in height and in decorative detail in the east wall of the hall. A similarly enriched
and cornice above indicate the quality of the hall. The former open truss has a deep arch-braced collar beam, with curved wind-braces to single purlins. A chimney-stack at the north end and an upper floor with richly molded joists were inserted in the earlier 16th century. A two-storied wing adjoining the northwest corner of the hall wing and similarly aligned was built in the late 14th century. The upper rooms were open to the roof, which had a collar-purlin supported by crown-posts with four-way brackets. The cambered tie-beams are braced from principal posts in the side walls. An ovolo molding cut from the solid runs from each face of the tie beams and along the upper edge of the wall plates. Riven lath filling in the internal trusses may represent an early division of the wing into separate lodgings.
Before the retail, leisure and business parks were built Middlebrook was the site of Sefton Fold Farm in Horwich. The old timber-framed farmhouse with sandstone flag roof as could have been seen latterly would seem to have dated from the 16th century with many intervening changes. The floor plan would indicate a 3-bay farmhouse or hall: the latter access being a 'baffle' entry facing the central chimney stack; this may have also been the original position but could have been a more traditional 'screens' entrance adjacent to the service bay. A cellar appears to have been located under the northern service bay and later GMAU investigations would infer that this used to be occupied by a small water wheel (for grinding domestic crops?) That would also infer that a stream ran under the house at this point. A well existed very nearby in the yard but any evidence of a stream latterly had become obscured. Something of a rebuild appears to have happened around 1666 and was possibly refaced or altered in 1811, as evidenced by the semi-circular datestone over the adjacent cottage which dates from 1811. However, an earlier late-Georgian brick wing was seemingly added before that date, the bricks having been locally 'clamped'. The old bay (parlour) closest to the 'new wing' as described had already had its wattle and daub removed and replaced with brick. The middle bay (housebody) and end bay (service) together with the north gable had been rebuilt in 'watershot' squared & coursed gritstone rubble, although when that happened is not clear, because the stone of the adjacent 1811 cottage was constructed from thinner, flaggy sandstone and not watershot. The rear of the range was extended, evidently in the 19th Century, from random sandstone rubble walling under a full 'catslide' stone flag roof, and this extension had a floor over creating a loft: this loft was accessed from the first floor and was lain with compressed straw and other material. Floorboards upstairs in the main range were butt-jointed and wide, of random size; some doorleaf stiles and rails were reed-moulded and mortise-framed and simply panelled, indicating 17th Century origin. The floor over the 'housebody' was a much later addition to the original, being supported off separate beams running parallel to the long walls and resting on inserted brackets or 'corbels'. The mortises and pegholes to the former arch-bracing to the central house frame could still be seen, identifying that this part of the house was possibly originally double-height, or at least, the floor was set much higher than latterly, rendering the upper floor of poor usage. There is also the presence of a vestige of a wattle and daub 'fire hood', a forerunner of a later brick chimney stack. The opening to one side of the chimney stack upstairs was blocked up economically in brick-on-edge - the bricks were machine-pressed with 'frogs' and bore the text 'Yates Plastic Horwich'. Much of the original timber framing remained within the rear 'outshut' including a former unglazed window complete with Oak stave mullions. the timber framing was set upon a high sandstone plinth - the same remained on the main frontage under the brick infill to the 'parlour' bay. The complete
remained over the rebuilt main east facade and exhibited all the original mortises and peg holes from the original framing, so a reasonable guess could be made at the appearance of the building. the timbers in the 'outshut' were all re-used and exhibited peg holes, mortises and carpenters' marks. There is a case for supposing that these were taken from the timbers replaced by the later stonework, and one beam in particular hinted at coming from the old north gable truss chord, due to its size and moulding. Other evidence in the timbers points at herringbone patterning within the framing, which would reflect the regional trend for such decoration. (these detailed notes modified and expanded by Mark Head, who surveyed the house in about 1985). Before demolition in 1996 the University of Manchester's Archaeological Unit spent three weeks on the Sefton Fold Farm site. The team excavated a moated site of late medieval origins and pottery believed to date from the late 16th or early 17th centuries was found. When development started, the site was partly covered by a roundabout. The farmhouse's 1666/1811 date stone, 1860s cooking range and other items were saved and can be seen at the Heritage Centre in Horwich.
Copyright © 2017