Synonyms for winkleigh or Related words with winkleigh
Examples of "winkleigh"
Hugh I Culme, of
, Escheator of Devon in 1505. He is recorded on the Pardon Roll of King Henry VIII during the years 1509–1514 as "Hugh Culme of South Molton and Molland Champiaux". He was the son of John II Culme of
who was himself the son of John I Culme of
, Sergeant at Law.
North Tawton and
Hundred was the name of one of thirty two ancient administrative units of Devon, England. The status of
is uncertain. Until the 18th century, it was a separate hundred but in the nineteenth century it became part of North Tawton and was known as the Hundred of North Tawton and
His holdings later became the property of the feudal barony of Gloucester, the Devonshire caput of which was
In 1982 he published "Earth to Earth", the story of a farming family tragedy at
in Devon for which he won the non-fiction Gold Dagger Award.
White Lightning was a brand of English white cider originally manufactured in the early 1990s by Inch's Cider of
. Inch's Cider was bought out by H. P. Bulmer in 1995, and in spite of initial assurances that production would continue in
, the cider brewery there was shut and all production moved to Hereford. Bulmers was in turn acquired by Scottish Courage in 2003.
Sir John Lethbridge, 1st Baronet (1746–1815), of Whitehall Place, Westminster; Sandhill Park, Somerset; Westaway in the parish of Pilton, Devon, and
, Devon, was Member of Parliament for Minehead in Somerset from 1806-7. He served as Sheriff of Somerset in 1788-9. In 2010 he was discovered to have been the natural father of Claire Clairmont, and thus the grandfather of Lord Byron's daughter Allegra.
Chichester married twice. His first wife was Margaret Keynes, daughter of Nicholas Keynes, lord of the manor of
, Devon, by whom he had three sons and two daughters.
The barony held many manors in Devon, where its local "caput" appears to have been the manor of
. The principal sources of the barony's lands in Devonshire were from the former holdings of:
It is also used by various organisations across the South West, such as the West of England School and College for blind and visually impaired children, based near Exeter, and the West of England Transport Collection, at
Berner's Cross is a crossroads near the village which was bypassed by the main road in the 1940s when
Airfield was under construction; the name now refers to the sharp corner and the area adjacent to it.
Davy graduated with a B.A. from Balliol College, Oxford in 1766. He was vicar of
, Devonshire from 1825-6. Davy wrote "A System of Divinity on the Being, Nature, and Attributes of God" which he printed himself.
The parishes in the hundred were: Ashreigney, Atherington, Bondleigh, Bow, Broad Nymet, Brushford, Burrington, Chawleigh, Clannaborough, Coldridge, Dolton, Dowland, Down St Mary, Eggesford, High Bickington, Lapford, North Tawton, Nymet Rowland, Wembworthy,
and Zeal Monachorum,
Torridge and West Devon: Appledore, Bere Ferrers, Bideford East, Bideford North, Bideford South, Bridestowe, Broadheath, Buckland Monachorum, Burrator, Clinton, Clovelly Bay, Coham Bridge, Forest, Hartland and Bradworthy, Holsworthy, Kenwith, Lydford, Mary Tavy, Milton Ford, Monkleigh and Littleham, Northam, Orchard Hill, Shebbear and Langtree, Tamarside, Tavistock North, Tavistock South, Tavistock South West, Three Moors, Thrushel, Torrington, Two Rivers, Waldon, Walkham, Westward Ho!,
Ebberly is a hamlet within Roborough parish (although the postal town is Great Torrington not
as for most other addresses within the parish). The hamlet is characterised by several prominent white houses by the roadside, a mansion house known as Ebberly Barton, and a Methodist chapel.
Appledore, Bere Ferrers, Bideford East, Bideford North, Bideford South, Bridestowe, Broadheath, Buckland Monachorum, Burrator, Clinton, Clovelly Bay, Coham Bridge, Forest, Hartland and Bradworthy, Holsworthy, Kenwith, Lydford, Mary Tavy, Milton Ford, Monkleigh and Littleham, Northam, Orchard Hill, Shebbear and Langtree, Tamarside, Tavistock North, Tavistock South, Tavistock South West, Three Moors, Thrushel, Torrington, Two Rivers, Waldon, Walkham, Westward Ho!,
The parish, which covers about 2,900 acres on the Culm Measures, has its southern border along the River Okement and its western along the River Torridge. Clockwise from the north, it is bordered by the parishes of Dowland,
, Broadwoodkelly, Monkokehampton, Hatherleigh and Meeth.
Historically Devon was divided into 32 hundreds: Axminster, Bampton, Black Torrington, Braunton, Cliston, Coleridge, Colyton, Crediton, East Budleigh, Ermington, Exminster, Fremington, Halberton, Hartland, Hayridge, Haytor, Hemyock, Lifton, North Tawton and
, Ottery, Plympton, Roborough, Shebbear, Shirwell, South Molton, Stanborough, Tavistock, Teignbridge, Tiverton, West Budleigh, Witheridge, and Wonford.
is a civil parish and small village in Devon, England. It is part of the local government area of Torridge District Council. The population of the parish at the 2011 census was 1,305, compared to 1,079 in 1901. The population of the electoral ward in 2011 was 2,068.
The village was the location of Inch's Cider, producers of White Lightning cider. Inch's Cider was bought by H. P. Bulmer, who then closed the plant down. However some of those involved in the original enterprise now run
Cider on the Hatherleigh Road.
Moortown Diary, sometimes just known as Moortown, is a poetry diary which details the everyday life of a working farm, first published in 1979. The author, poet Ted Hughes, married Carol Orchard, a farmer's daughter, in 1970. Ted and his father-in-law, Jack Orchard, ran Moortown farm near
in Mid Devon. The book contains a moving tribute to Jack Orchard, who died in 1976.
Copyright © 2017